What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 very slow and constantly crashing!!!

KWbuilder

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPad 2 16gb that has progressively gotten slower and slower. I have just a handful of apps on it. No pics and no music. Just mainly use it for Facebook and general surfing. In Safari the pages constantly reload or it crashes altogether. Sometimes I feel like I'm on an old computer with dialup! In Facebook I don't dare try to open an article or it will definitely crash every time. My weather channel app I always have to open at least twice cause it always crashes the first time. So far I have tried a settings reset then did a total reset with very little relief if any. I tried the reboot I read about where you hold the power and home button simultaneously until the apple icon comes back and do that 3 times in a row. Nothing has helped!

I have been considering a new iPad Air 2 since there will certainly be some good deals this week. The thing is I know they have been out for quite some time and may be old technology by today's standards. Not sure when the next generation will be out.

Is there any hope for my current iPad or should I look into a new one? Thanks if you can help me out!!!

After I posted this it kept reloading and I ended up getting this message!!!

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    21.4 KB · Views: 771
Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have an iPad 2 16gb that has progressively gotten slower and slower. I have just a handful of apps on it. No pics and no music. Just mainly use it for Facebook and general surfing. In Safari the pages constantly reload or it crashes altogether. Sometimes I feel like I'm on an old computer with dialup! In Facebook I don't dare try to open an article or it will definitely crash every time. My weather channel app I always have to open at least twice cause it always crashes the first time. So far I have tried a settings reset then did a total reset with very little relief if any. I tried the reboot I read about where you hold the power and home button simultaneously until the apple icon comes back and do that 3 times in a row. Nothing has helped!

I have been considering a new iPad Air 2 since there will certainly be some good deals this week. The thing is I know they have been out for quite some time and may be old technology by today's standards. Not sure when the next generation will be out.

Is there any hope for my current iPad or should I look into a new one? Thanks if you can help me out!!!

After I posted this it kept reloading and I ended up getting this message!!!
Part of the problem is the limited RAM of the iPad 2, it only has 512mb. Newer and updated apps need more RAM to operate smoothly. Websites also need more RAM in order to stop crashing like they've been doing on your iPad. This is complicated by some kind of bug in the forum that keeps reloading pages here in iPad Forums. This happens more with older devices and is probably partially connected to the available RAM on the device.

OP
K

KWbuilder

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok that's kinda what I thought. iPad 2 is just behind the times. Guess I'm just gonna have to pull the trigger on a new one. Thanks for the input!!

SwanseaMick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
KWbuilder,
I kinda disagree. My iPad2 was running reasonably fine till latest upgrade to IOS9.1. Apple knew how much memory was available for these 'old' devices, and if it wasn't enough, as suggested by scifan57, then Apple should not have suggested we update our iPad2's, or at least let us revert to an earlier IOS! But the cynic in me tells me Apple did know, and foist it upon us, so that we'd do exactly as you are suggesting, and buy a new iPad.

I too am now left with a slow, unresponsive iPad 2 - I am not a happy bunny, and certainly WON'T be upgrading, if only to spite Apple!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
KWbuilder,
I kinda disagree. My iPad2 was running reasonably fine till latest upgrade to IOS9.1. Apple knew how much memory was available for these 'old' devices, and if it wasn't enough, as suggested by scifan57, then Apple should not have suggested we update our iPad2's, or at least let us revert to an earlier IOS! But the cynic in me tells me Apple did know, and foist it upon us, so that we'd do exactly as you are suggesting, and buy a new iPad.

I too am now left with a slow, unresponsive iPad 2 - I am not a happy bunny, and certainly WON'T be upgrading, if only to spite Apple!
Despite what you may think, Apple does not deliberately slow down older devices that update to the latest iOS version. Older devices are never going to run as well on the latest iOS version as a result of hardware limitations. Those hardware limitations restrict what you can do with an older device. This means that some apps optimized for newer devices may not run as well on older devices such as the iPad 2. This is not deliberate on the part of Apple but the normal result of ever improving technology.

Last edited:

SwanseaMick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i think we have to agree to disagree. You said it yourself, the iPad2 has hardware limitations, knowing this, why did Apple suggest we upgrade?
They may not have deliberately slowed the iPad2 down, but they should either have
a) Advised iPad2 users not to upgrade or
b) Allow iPad2 users to revert to an earlier version of IOS.

They did neither, so a sin of omission rather than commission.

stuckpipe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I too have an iPad 2 w/v9.2 OS and am experiencing the same issues, slow and continued crashes. My hope is Apple will fix there 9.2 OS with a new patch. Overall there really little difference between OS's, there just too many bugs, bad coding testing by both Apple and software developers. Just look at how many update are issued every week.

Blue92

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well....

Have not yet gotten the "page reloaded" error on the new iPad Air 2 (Thanks to the Better Half)

Having fun with 64 GB and quite a bit faster. Graphics are much nicer as well.

It has to be an issue with IOS 9.x and the iPad 2.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well....

Have not yet gotten the "page reloaded" error on the new iPad Air 2 (Thanks to the Better Half)

Having fun with 64 GB and quite a bit faster. Graphics are much nicer as well.

It has to be an issue with IOS 9.x and the iPad 2.

It's more about the available RAM. The iPad Air 2 has four times as much RAM.

Most reactions