What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New York Post Website Blocks Safari Browsing on iPad

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
new_york_post.JPG
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]PaidContent reports that News Corp’s New York Post has started blocking iPad users from viewing its website via Safari, and telling them to instead go and download the paper’s iPad app from the App Store, a subscription for which costs $6.99 per month, $39.99 per six months or $74.99 per year. The app also costs $1.99 to download initially with 30 days free access. Could this be a precedent that other publications might choose to follow? Well, the bad publicity for the NYP and News Corp created by the unpopular move might suggest otherwise, with PaidContent saying that it seems as if News Corp is making a “misguided†effort to turn the Post into another version of News Corp’s iPad-only app, The Daily. As PaidContent notes, it’s not even a very effective paywall, as it’s only Safari that is currently blocked by the site, so iPad owners using other browsers such as Opera Mini or Skyfire can still access the site without any problems. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Source: New York Post Blocks iPad Access Via Safari To Sell Subscriptions | paidContent[/FONT]

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If I may be so bold...

... that's the stupidest move I've seen yet in regards to using the iPad!

They want you to use an app that (1) is NOT free in the app store and (2) requires a paid for subscription to use once you buy it. So, how many people are just going to go somewhere else for their news? They've just eliminated any casual page views from an iPad.

Someone in their marketing department needs a good talking to. What were/are they thinking?

Silly ones.

Marilyn

[Who can still go to the newspaper web site via another browser ... just not Safari. Adding insult to injury, I think...]

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If I may be so bold...

... that's the stupidest move I've seen yet in regards to using the iPad!

They want you to use an app that (1) is NOT free in the app store and (2) requires a paid for subscription to use once you buy it. So, how many people are just going to go somewhere else for their news? They've just eliminated any casual page views from an iPad.

Someone in their marketing department needs a good talking to. What were/are they thinking?

Silly ones.

Marilyn

[Who can still go to the newspaper web site via another browser ... just not Safari. Adding insult to injury, I think...]

I'm not a fan of the Post, but they have a unique style that's not widely available among daily newspapers. So they're trying to capitalize on it. If it doesn't work, oh well, they can stop charging. I think Post readers would return if its attempt failed.

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've seen several other organizations trying to push people away from their browsers and into their sometimes more restricted apps on iOS. Though I have yet to see any site actually block Safari as the New York Post is reportedly doing, I get the impression that, at this rate, ultimately we will end up having to pay for it all... and dearly.

Enjoy whatever is free out there while it lasts...

BigTex71

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of the Post, but they have a unique style that's not widely available among daily newspapers.

Yeah, they are more like the weekly papers like National Enquirer, Sun, the Globe, Star, and Weekly World News. :D

Most reactions

Latest posts