What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Router 2 Band, Multiple iDevices

Mixz1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ISP replaced failed Alcatel fiber router with a Nokia Dual Band router. Both 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands. iPad Air2 and new iPad 5th Generation both connect to the 5GHz band with no problem. iPhone 6 connects to 5GHz as well. Original, ancient iPad (still going strong) and iPhone 5 only connect to 2.4GHz band, as expected. But there's an iPad 4 that sees the 5GHz band but will not connect to it. Since the performance of the 5GHz band is so much better, wifey is telling me to connect her to the 5GHz band, like her phone. Is it possible? I would think that if it sees it, it should be able to connect. As you can tell, I know very little of iPad internas. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Can you see two separate bands in your WiFi Settings? If not you might have to go the Router Settings and create two distinct bands.
I had to do this when I bought a MacBook because it couldn’t cope with the dual band signal from my particular router. All my devices, two iPads, iPhone and MacBook prefer the 2.4 MHz band.

Dakotapix

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I set up my Apple Airport Express router with two channels mainly for my Apple TV to access the 5Ghz channel for streaming. One note of caution is that you might need to adjust the settings on the 5Ghz channel to avoid conflicts with cordless phones you might have in your home. I did the setup with the Airport Utility program on a MacBook. I should point out that older computers and iPads might not see the two separate channels during their setup.

OP
M

Mixz1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can you see two separate bands in your WiFi Settings? If not you might have to go the Router Settings and create two distinct bands.
I had to do this when I bought a MacBook because it couldn’t cope with the dual band signal from my particular router. All my devices, two iPads, iPhone and MacBook prefer the 2.4 MHz band.

Thanks for the reply. The two bands are already set up as delivered, with separate SSID's.

OP
M

Mixz1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I set up my Apple Airport Express router with two channels mainly for my Apple TV to access the 5Ghz channel for streaming. One note of caution is that you might need to adjust the settings on the 5Ghz channel to avoid conflicts with cordless phones you might have in your home. I did the setup with the Airport Utility program on a MacBook. I should point out that older computers and iPads might not see the two separate channels during their setup.

Thanks for the reply. The router is broadcasting both bands with separate SSIDs. I have the two bands set up on two different channels. The iPad 4 in question sees both SSID's but will only join the 2.4GHz band. My main question is, is the radio in the iPad 4 capable of joining the 5GHz band?

Dakotapix

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. The router is broadcasting both bands with separate SSIDs. I have the two bands set up on two different channels. The iPad 4 in question sees both SSID's but will only join the 2.4GHz band. My main question is, is the radio in the iPad 4 capable of joining the 5GHz band?
My previous iPad was the original iPad Air (3?) and it definitely used the 5Ghz band. Not sure what is going on in your setup.

OP
M

Mixz1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My previous iPad was the original iPad Air (3?) and it definitely used the 5Ghz band. Not sure what is going on in your setup.
Thanks for the reply. But I think this thread is drifting off course. My question was is the iPad 4 capable of using the 5 GHz band?

Most reactions

Latest posts