What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bluetooth in the USA. & Bluetooth H/phones Suggestions which dont affect Wifi in UK ?

L

Lunar

Just curious, and wondering whether USA members or anywhere else other than UK, do your Bluetooth devices operate in the same frequency band as your wifi, as it stupidly does here in the UK. ?

Due to limited frequency availability in the UK, many of our wireless devices in the UK operate in the same 2.4Ghz band, this includes everything from wireless doorbells to Baby alarms, Wireless burglar alarms and pretty well just about everything these days.

Virtually all our Computer wifi systems operate at 2.4Ghz though some of the very latest N routers can also operate at 5Ghz but they are few and far between.

The reason I asked the question is because the majority of all our Bluetooth devices now all operate in the 2.4Ghz band too, and I'm currently looking for a second pair of Bluetooth stereo headphones which does not knock out my wifi.

My current bluetooth headphones connect every time and work great for listening to films or music which is on my ipad, but the minute I start to stream something like TV on my iPad, my wifi speed drops to virtually nothing, whereas my normally download speeds are around the 18/19mbps mark.

Within a few seconds of streaming anything such as a movie or live TV while using my Bluetooth headphones it will stop and I get a wifi network connection error message, if I then turn off the bluetooth headphones, it will continue okay again. This behavour occurs both on the new iPad 3 and our iPad 1, so its not a iPad issue. It's a compatibility ussue between bluetooth and wifi.

I've tried every channel on my router and also every other other 802.xx mode available, without any joy.
From what I've read this is a common problem in the UK, due to both using the same 2.4Ghz frequency.

Admittedly the bluetooth headphones I'm using were quite cheap, and I'm wondering whether a more expensive pair may help get around the problem. At the moment if I need private listening when watching streamed TV I have to use the wired earbuds.. not a major problem, but would be nice if everything worked together without these issues.

So my question is this... the unbranded cheap BT headphones I currently use do not have an option to select a different channel, like you can do for your wifi, AIS they were cheap. However is there any Bluetooth stereo headphones out there or at least in the UK which do have the capability to change channels..?? . I'm not even sure this is possible on Bluetooth devices, but cannot see why not.. IOW to try and reduce the interference, and keep my wifi working at the same time.

Also has any UK member managed to find a pair of Bluetooth stereo headphones that work properly when streaming TV ect in the UK ?? if so what was the brand/Model ? Do you think a much more expensive pair may work.? (Can always buy from Amazon so easy return if not)

Suggestions, comments... always appreciated... cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Seems to me I read somewhere that it's a good idea to turn off Bluetooth when using wifi, but I thought that it was due to the fact that the same antenna is used for both functions.

Don't know about the frequency used. My BT is on permanently on iPad and iPhone, with never a problem. Canada, by the way.

Sent from my iPad 4 HD mini

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have BT running at the same time as wifi nearly every day that I'm home in the U.S. I have iPad 1 or 2, iPhone or touch paired with one of my two Jambox speakers, and I almost always have my devices on wifi when at home. I've been using my new Samsung Galaxy Note phablet the same way. Haven't noticed any interference.

Most reactions

Latest posts