What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pro 9.7 WiFi 5Ghz band drops repeatedly

IrvSp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPad3 64GB WiFi only that I replaced with a Pro 9.7 128GB WiFi only. In my bedroom the iPad3 worked just as well on the 2.4 and 5Ghz band. Watching Showtime Go on it never stopped or even stuttered on it. I usually used the 5Ghz band as it was 'faster' My ISP speed is 100Mbps and on both band the iPad3 got ~40Mbps due mostly to the antenna's.

The Pro on the other hand has a problem with the 5Ghz band. It drops constantly, and usually will NOT reconnect. I have to switch to the 2.4Ghz band and then back to the 5Ghz to reconnect. Both bands on speed test get ~100Mbps.

I do have an AC router and the Pro can do that speed.

So I have 2 questions.
  1. Why is the Pro having a problem staying connected to the 5Ghz band when the iPad3 has no problems in the same location?
  2. Is there a way to restrict the Pro to N speed (assuming that might help if AC speed doesn't have the range?)?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you tried resetting the router? Sometimes WiFi connection problems can be solved this way. It's not at all unusual to have one device with connection problems while other devices have no problem connecting to the same router.

OP
I

IrvSp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you tried resetting the router? Sometimes WiFi connection problems can be solved this way. It's not at all unusual to have one device with connection problems while other devices have no problem connecting to the same router.

Now I'm really confused... we actually bought 2 iPad Pro's yesterday, one for me, one for my wife. This morning I took both Pro's to the same place in the bedroom. Both had NO problem playing Showtime Anytime and never dropped the video/wifi.

I recall now I having a prior problem with the Apple Store searching for the Pro manual. Didn't show all the info and the d/l failed? I'm wondering if that had a bearing?

I'm also thinking it is the AC speed.

I'll check it again tonight. If it works, fine, otherwise I'll try some suggestions from router rest, chaning 20/40 channel, deleting wifi account, etc.

Odd that I don't have the problem this morning?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The 5GHz band is finickier than the 2.4GHz. Besides the shorter range, other services like Bluetooth have overlapping frequencies.

In the past I've just shut down the 5GHz bands on my router. Other than streaming video and other large files from device to device withing the network, it makes little difference in your home network's percieved performance.

OP
I

IrvSp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The 5GHz band is finickier than the 2.4GHz. Besides the shorter range, other services like Bluetooth have overlapping frequencies.

In the past I've just shut down the 5GHz bands on my router. Other than streaming video and other large files from device to device withing the network, it makes little difference in your home network's percieved performance.

Actually the 5Ghz band has a shorter distance than the 2.4Ghz. But it offers a higher signal further out than the 2.4Ghz band does. Also generally it is a less congested band.

That band also handles not only the old standards like N, but also the AC standard. I've got an AC1200 that connects at 866Mbps to the router although actually transfer rate is probably 1/2 when I tested PC (1Gps wired) to PC (866Mbps wireless) via my AC 1900 router. That router also has BEAM FORMING that helps with the AC signal range.

See Everything You Need To Know About AC Routers and Beamforming+ FAQs | Answer | NETGEAR Support

However, the main point is that the iPad3 on the 5Ghz band in the SAME location (N Speed of course) had no problems keeping connected to the band (max. speed according to Speed Test was around 40Mbps) while in the same place the iPad Pro 9.7 (running the same iOS 9) dropped the signal? iPad Pro had a tested speed of 110Mbps too.

Now why it didn't happen this morning, another mystery. Maybe the Apple store or quite possibly me trying to get mail (had the WRONG p/w on one account) caused the Internet to stop responding and that caused the drop?

May not matter as the 2.4Ghz band is also clocking in at 110Mbps which is really much more than I need.

Most reactions