What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

new ipad 2, having charging troubles, whilst powered down.

stuartrozier

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,
i have a new ipad 2,

i was advised to do a charge cycle, run it down till it powers off at 0%, and then a full charge to 100%.

i was advised to do the full charge whilst the ipad 2 was powered off.

the problem im having is exactly this.

it wont charge when its turned off :(

it will charge when the ipad is on, and locked, but will not charge when its powered off.

as soon as i plug the mains power cable in, whilst its tuned off, it turns itself on ?
very bizare, ive spoken to apple, they said maybe a hardware issue,

is anyone else experiencing this ?

many thanks once again,

stuart

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hmmm... Apple might be right, could be a hardware issue. Mine charges fine when powerd off. I do agree with letting it run all the way down to zero % or close to it once in a while to keep the meter calibrated.

OP
S

stuartrozier

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply,

i mean its not a mjor issue i know, but, just charges veeeeery sloooowly when on and locked.

left it on charge before i left for work this morning, arrived home 8 hours later, and only had charged 10% hmmmm

stuart

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
AFAIK, it's normal behavior. In that, my iPad has always turned on when connected to power. I can put it to sleep (which is a brief press of the power button), but if I've done a full power down (by sliding the "slide to power off" bar), it will always restart when connected to either the PC or the wall mains.

So, I don't think it's a bug. Else you and I have the same "bug." I think it's normal.

Marilyn

OP
S

stuartrozier

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hello marilyn,

thanks for your reply.

i hope it is normal , i would hate to send it off to be repaired over christmas :(

even once youve connected your ipad 2 to the mains, and THEN powered it down, does it then turn itself on again automatically?

stuart

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
even once youve connected your ipad 2 to the mains, and THEN powered it down, does it then turn itself on again automatically?

Yep. It used to bug the heck out of me, that it Just. Wouldn't. Stay. Off! I thought the durn thing was possessed! :D Then, I figured that I couldn't beat it, so I learned to live with it...

It's the act of the restart that helps the iPad sort itself out anyway, so having it sleeping (instead of off) while it's charging is no big deal. Mine's been charging while it sleeps for over a year now and it's fine. I'll still turn it off every now and then, but I don't sweat it any more when it comes right back on.

Hope this reassures.

Marilyn

jmccamb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know what process you are talking about, and its perfectly okay if the iPad turns on after you charge it. The important part of the process is that the OS gets a chance to "calibrate" your battery by using the only real known values of 0% and 100%. The software is actually not very accurate in knowing exactly how much charge is remaining in the battery until a full charge cycle (from dead to 100%) is completed.

leeejordan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Had my pad 2 months and went to put it on charge today and it's not recognising that it's charging or connected to the mains anyone got any ideas. Be a bit peeved if I need to send it back over Christmas?

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply,

i mean its not a mjor issue i know, but, just charges veeeeery sloooowly when on and locked.

left it on charge before i left for work this morning, arrived home 8 hours later, and only had charged 10% hmmmm

stuart

Hi Stuart - it should charge way more than 10% over 8 hours! That aint right! What settings do you have turned ON? Is bluetooth on, Push Notifications, stuff like that? How high is your screen brightness set?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just to check: Are you using the iPad charger? As in, you didn't mix it up with an iPhone/iPod charger? The iPad needs more juice, which can only be provided by its own charger.

If you're using the correct charger, try a different USB cord. Sometimes they can be a bit hinky too...

Marilyn

OP
S

stuartrozier

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'll try a different cable and play about.

its now DAY 3 ... the iPad has been on charge for the second day whilst I've been at works, but still only at 94% :(

settings wise....

location services is off
brightness is on auto
wifi is on
notifications is on for email

hope this helps

thanks for everyone's help

stuart

leeejordan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tried using the plug and cable provided in the box and it's working fine. Thought I could use my iPhone charger as it did work but took several hours to charge. Using the recommended cable supplied the pad charged in 3 hrs 0 to 100%. Thanks for your advice. This forum is the place to be if you have problems. Several times I found info on here and people have come forward to help thanks once again

lu.c

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes I'm having the same problem. I turn off the iPad, plug it in and it turns itself on and then does not charge completely by the next morning.
Lu.c

Most reactions

Latest posts