What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help with IPad2...Is this thing Dead?

AvRageDan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just got an older Ipad2 from my mom, she says it dosent work you can have it if you can fix it... when i plug it into my pc with itunes running it says Itunes has detected an Ipod in recovery mode.... I have tried to restore ipad both with just clicking the button and with manually downloading the ios and using shift+clicking restore adding the ios and the same thing happens (i have also tried to downgrade to ios 6.1.3 restore just to see if it would work, no change) it gets stuck "waiting for ipad" and the ipad has an apple logo and a status bar that goes nowhere, i have tried let it sit all day with no result.. i have tried this process many times over 2 different pcs... anyone have a solution for this issue?

Brian 244

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I just got an older Ipad2 from my mom, she says it dosent work you can have it if you can fix it... when i plug it into my pc with itunes running it says Itunes has detected an Ipod in recovery mode.... I have tried to restore ipad both with just clicking the button and with manually downloading the ios and using shift+clicking restore adding the ios and the same thing happens (i have also tried to downgrade to ios 6.1.3 restore just to see if it would work, no change) it gets stuck "waiting for ipad" and the ipad has an apple logo and a status bar that goes nowhere, i have tried let it sit all day with no result.. i have tried this process many times over 2 different pcs... anyone have a solution for this issue?

Over the years of repairing iPads I’ve seen multiple iPad 2s do the same thing. Not sure what the exact cause Is , but it appears to be a logic board failure , maybe ram or the A5 processor. The iPad may be good for parts now , but not much else as there’s no know fix other than replacing the logic board which is cost prohibitive.

OP
A

AvRageDan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you tried using DFU mode? DFU Mode - The iPhone Wiki
If this doesn’t work you have a hardware problem that’s causing the problem. As the iPad 2 can be up to almost 8 years old any possible repair costs will likely cost more than the iPad is worth.

Yeah i tried going through with it in DFU mode, still the same results... i've been through almost everything i can find on the subject... i think it must be a hardware issue?.. but thank you! i never had an ipad before, i was just seeing what i could figure out and i enjoy trying to tinker around with something new.

OP
A

AvRageDan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Over the years of repairing iPads I’ve seen multiple iPad 2s do the same thing. Not sure what the exact cause Is , but it appears to be a logic board failure , maybe ram or the A5 processor. The iPad may be good for parts now , but not much else as there’s no know fix other than replacing the logic board which is cost prohibitive.

yeah i think i've come to the conclusion it has to be something hardware related.. but thank you! the whole process was all new to me i learned alot i never really messed around with anything ipad or tablet wise only pc stuff, i was just playing around seeing if i could bring it back...

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah i tried going through with it in DFU mode, still the same results... i've been through almost everything i can find on the subject... i think it must be a hardware issue?.. but thank you! i never had an ipad before, i was just seeing what i could figure out and i enjoy trying to tinker around with something new.
It's the best way to learn more about computers.

Most reactions

Latest posts