What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 5.1.1 ----> 6.1.3

JCV3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi I have this iPad 2 (WiFi) running on iOS 5.1.1. I downloaded an ipsw file of 5.1.1 to use it as a shift-restore file. Problem is iTunes is saying that the firmware is not compatible. I was wondering if I should download the iOS 6.1.3 then use it as a shift-restore file.. I really want to restore my iPad. What should I do? Any help will be gladly appreciated. Thanks guys.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi I have this iPad 2 (WiFi) running on iOS 5.1.1. I downloaded an ipsw file of 5.1.1 to use it as a shift-restore file. Problem is iTunes is saying that the firmware is not compatible. I was wondering if I should download the iOS 6.1.3 then use it as a shift-restore file.. I really want to restore my iPad. What should I do? Any help will be gladly appreciated. Thanks guys.

If you have the SHSH blobs for iOS 5.1.1, you can re-restore that specific iOS using the method outlined here: http://www.ipadforums.net/showthread.php?t=92572

If you do not have SHSH blobs for iOS 5.1.1 or if you installed iOS 5.1.1 on your iPad via the over-the-air method - I'm afraid your only option is to restore to iOS 6.1.3. That is the only valid iOS today.

Marilyn

OP
J

JCV3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi. I'm sorry I'm stupid when it comes to these things.. Does that mean that I can download the ipsw file (iOS 6.1.3) and use it to shift-restore my iPad on iTunes? Thanks for your understanding and your replies.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Absolutely, you can use that file to put iOS 6.1.3 on your iPad.

May I ask why you don't just use iTunes to do the restore? It will use the most current IPSW (which is 6.1.3). Just wondering...

Marilyn

OP
J

JCV3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
based on my experience downloading the ipsw file is faster rather than updating it via itunes. i dont know if it's just me. lol.

one last question tho.

my ipad is jailbroken.. iOS 5.1.1 as stated earlier. now after downloading 6.1.3 ipsw. Will there be no negative effects after restoring to 6.1.3 aside from unjailbreaking the device?

Is this procedure correct?

I found the best way to do this is to download the iPSW you want to restore to...(perhaps use a tool to rebuild it with SHSH blobs you are restoring to older fIrmware) and save it to your desktop.

Enter DFU (or PWNED DFU if using a custom iPSW), open iTunes and shift+restore to the iPSW.

Once restore is done...you have reinstalled your iOS. That's all there is to it. Simple really.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's what you do - put the iPad into DFU mode and use the shift/restore to select the iOS 6.1.3 IPSW. iTunes will then take of the rest.

Do make a back-up beforehand so you can put your data and such back on after the upgrade.

The iPad will be fine on ios6.1.3 and the whole process is very simple. Except, of course, that iOS won't be jail-breakable.

Marilyn

P.S. And yes, I usually do the DFU/shift/ restore method myself. Not that I don't trust iTunes, but... :)

Most reactions

Latest posts