What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mini4 update problem

speedlever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have a friend (not local to me) with an iPad mini4. She had a problem with the iOS 11 upgrade and tried to roll back to 10.3.3 using the method found here:
[Tutorial] How to Downgrade from iOS 11 to iOS 10.3.3 using iTunes

She's getting the message that factory restore failed. And also an unknown error has occurred (3503).

Unfortunately, there is no Apple store local to her. She's spent a good amount of time on the phone with support but they aren't having any luck either. Support wants her to keep trying to d/l restore image.

Any suggestions as to a course of action for her?

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Has your friend turned off Find My iPhone and turned off any anti-virus and security software on his computer before trying to downgrade?

OP
S

speedlever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
How can you manually verify downloaded files in iOS? Is there an MD5 checksum app? I don't recall seeing checksum data that would support that like I have on Android.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
How can you manually verify downloaded files in iOS? Is there an MD5 checksum app? I don't recall seeing checksum data that would support that like I have on Android.
After an iOS update is downloaded it's automatically verified by Apple and will only be installed if it passes the verification stage.

OP
S

speedlever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
How about if you're trying to roll back to an earlier, signed version as above?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
How about if you're trying to roll back to an earlier, signed version as above?
The software version has to be signed by Apple, otherwise the installation will fail, and there are no earlier software versions available for the iPad mini 4, just 10.3.3 and 11.

During the process, iTunes connects to Apple’s servers, which make sure you’re installing the right software, in this case iOS 10.3.3 or 11. Trying to get an iOS not signed by Apple will result in error 3194 or worse.

Last edited:

pugsbuni

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does your iPad have to be a certain model to upgrade. Mine is an older one iPad 2....I'm not getting the option to upgrade

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Does your iPad have to be a certain model to upgrade. Mine is an older one iPad 2....I'm not getting the option to upgrade

Yes. The last version that supported the iPad 2 was iOS 9.

The fist page of the iPad User Guide for iOS 11 shows the compatible modles. Hold in mind that not all models get all the new features. The older iPads can’t handle some of the drag & drop and multitask features.

3499A229-393D-4868-BFB9-0CFF65A8CB47.jpeg

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The iPad 2 doesn't get the update. iOS 9.3.5 is the latest version of iOS that it can be updated to.

pugsbuni

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad 2 doesn't get the update. iOS 9.3.5 is the latest version of iOS that it can be updated to.

Mine must be newer then. Because I'm at 10.3.3....just don't seem to have the option to go to 11

Most reactions

Latest posts