What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Error 3194, cannot seem to restore no matter what I do

samsonkeane

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So when trying to restore my jailbroken iPad, I continue to get the message:

The iPad "iPad" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (3194).

Now, I've been following this guide: TUTORIAL - Failsafe method to restore the current version of IOS

along with some other guides, but I have several issues. First of all, TinyUmbrella seems to be a pointless piece of software now (at least for restores), the GUI doesn't have options for anything other than "Fetch OTA." Nothing about TSS servers or any advanced options of any kind.

This is what I have done:

I have updated iTunes to the latest version.

I have cleared my whole hosts file, it is now completely blank, so that cannot be the source of the problem.

I have disabled my firewall.

I have downloaded the update for a manual restore.

I have put my iPad in DFU mode (its just a blank screen).

Still, I get the exact same error (3194).

I don't know what else to do. Please help me.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Which software are you trying to install? If it's not iOS 9.2, or a software that's not meant for your iPad (Wi-Fi only, instead of Wi-Fi + Cellular, or vice versa), you'll get this error.

iOS 9.2 is the only software version signed by Apple right now, for iPad 2 and onwards. That's the only one you'll be able to install.

OP
S

samsonkeane

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Which software are you trying to install? If it's not iOS 9.2, or a software that's not meant for your iPad (Wi-Fi only, instead of Wi-Fi + Cellular, or vice versa), you'll get this error.

iOS 9.2 is the only software version signed by Apple right now, for iPad 2 and onwards. That's the only one you'll be able to install.

I'm just trying to restore and update to the latest version. I just want my iPad back to normal with the latest iOS. My iPad is Model A1458, and I downloaded the iOS firmware IPSW for Model A1458 version 8.1.2. Are you saying there is a IPSW for 9.2 that isn't listed here?: Official Apple IOS Firmware Download Links for iPad

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's impossible to install a previous software version on your iPad. The current one is 9.2. iTunes/your iPad will connect to Apple's servers while installing the software, to prevent you from getting the wrong software to your device.

Last edited:
OP
S

samsonkeane

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think that worked, thanks so much! It never even crossed my mind that I wasn't using the latest iOS firmware, I thought I was. Thanks a lot!

Most reactions

Latest posts