What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help NOBI with locked up IPAD4 (A1458)

Premium2000

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First let me say that I have no experience with Apple products, nor am I all that technically savvy about computers.

Recently my goddaughter asked me to help her with a problem she was having getting her Ipad 4 to charge. When I first saw it the screen was black and it would not turn on.

I did a little research and tried the Power & Home button 10 second method after leaving on her charger for an hour. This brought the screen back to life showing a red bar and a very low battery level. I double checked the cleanliness of the power port, switched to another cord and made sure that her A/C adapter was at least 100 watt (5 amp).

We let it charge for a couple of hours and before she had to leave it was showing a charge level of 38%. I suggested that she put it back on charge for 24 hours after she got home. The next day she told me that it was back to 100% and everything was working as usual.

Problem solved, I thought. A few days later she called to tell me that after using the pad for a couple of days it would no longer take a charge using the same cable and A/C adapter. She tried a couple of other cord/adapter combinations but no help.

When I got the pad back it was a solid black screen and unresponsive to my various attempts to get it to respond. Again after doing so research I tried using ITunes (on my windows 7 computer) to recover the unit. I first made sure I had all the latest ITunes and Windows updates installed and computer rebooted.

When I plugged in the Pad I heard a tone my computer, ITunes started up and told me that it had detected the pad in recovery mode and I my need to restore it in order to use it. After checking with my GD we decided that a complete restore would be OK so I temporarily shutdown my computers security and firewall programs and initiated "Restore iPad" via ITunes.

ITunes downloaded the current ios file (which took about 10 minutes) and then went into "Extracting Software" mode. ITunes then went to "preparing Ipad to restore" then"waiting on Ipad" (along with giving out a tone.). Unfortunately, shortly after that I got a 4014 error code and the process stopped.

I've tried a variety of cables, ports, even another computer but I still end up at the same error message. Doing more research on the "black screen" issue I've verified that the "hosts" file is clean (no gs.apple entries). I've downloaded the latest ios files along with an earlier version 8.1.3 and used the "shift restore" method. Again, I end up at the 4014 error.

I then tried a few popular independent software options by Tenorshare and Tinyumbrella but they either would not recognized the pad when plugged in or failed to break it out of either recovery or DFU mode.

So I'm stuck. After reading through a lot of guides/instructions and watching too many video's on the subject my best guess is that it is either stuck in DFU mode or there is an internal hardware issue. I'm not against taking off the back cover checking connections, replacing the battery, or the charging port ribbon but I would rather try all the non-invasive options first.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Larry

OP
P

Premium2000

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It could be a logic board failure or damage/ debris to the lightning port. Check the port for dirt, broken pins or corrosion.

Thanks Brian,

The port is clean and the pins are straight and look to be in excellent shape. In fact, the whole pad shows no signs of any rough treatment. I know she kept it in a protective cover/holder since it was new.

Is there a way for me to test the logic board?

Larry

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Testing the logic board would require diagnostic equipment like you'd find at the Genius Bar at an Apple Store. Is there one close enough for you to visit? If the issue is software related they should be able to fix it at no charge. If there is a hardware issue, they'll find it and tell you what it would cost to repair. Bring all the different cables and chargers you have tried so they can be tested as well.

Brian 244

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I reread your post and there is also a possibility that the charging IC needs to be replaced. This is a common issue with the 4th Gen iPad (Google: iPad 4 not charging). This is caused by using 3rd party charge cords or cables. As far as a fix, board level micro-soldering by a trained professional or replacing the logic board are your only options. Replacing the logic board would almost cost as much as replacing the iPad. As far as board level repair check out mendonipadrehab.com located in the US.

OP
P

Premium2000

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I reread your post and there is also a possibility that the charging IC needs to be replaced. This is a common issue with the 4th Gen iPad (Google: iPad 4 not charging). This is caused by using 3rd party charge cords or cables. As far as a fix, board level micro-soldering by a trained professional or replacing the logic board are your only options. Replacing the logic board would almost cost as much as replacing the iPad. As far as board level repair check out mendonipadrehab.com located in the US.

Thanks for the follow-up thoughts and repair option. While I'm sure she did not abuse her device (it looks like brand new), it is very possible that she was not always using the correct charging equipment. It's possible, that when she took it home after I got it charging the first time for her, she used a 3rd party cable and/or an A/C adapter that was too low of wattage. If so, then that maybe that's why the pad would not charge. I've noticed that I have to be careful with my own droid pad or it won't charge with certain adapters.

If it indeed did not take a charge and then ran the battery all the way down, could it have damaged the battery in such a way that it would cause the symptoms that we're seeing?

Larry

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Considering the age of the iPad, up to almost 4 years old, a board level repair would not be economically feasible. If the iPad requires anything other than a battery replacement, upgrading to a newer iPad should be considered.

The Genius Bar I recommended in a previous post would be able to pinpoint the problem and the repair cost.

OP
P

Premium2000

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks guys,

Your analysis and advice seems very solid. It looks like it's a trip to the Apple Store, and then likely a new pad for her.

It's a shame that a simple supply line fuse (essentially) is the thing that takes down an otherwise great piece of equipment. I can understand Apple wanting to make sure that the input power is stable and stable and predictably within specs but surely that must realize that not all users, especially kids, are going to be rigorous about only using factory issued cords and a/c adapters.

Larry

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks guys,

Your analysis and advice seems very solid. It looks like it's a trip to the Apple Store, and then likely a new pad for her.

It's a shame that a simple supply line fuse (essentially) is the thing that takes down an otherwise great piece of equipment. I can understand Apple wanting to make sure that the input power is stable and stable and predictably within specs but surely that must realize that not all users, especially kids, are going to be rigorous about only using factory issued cords and a/c adapters.

Larry
Let us know how you make out.

OP
P

Premium2000

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So, I stopped by the Apple Store today to have them take a look at the Ipad 4. Basically, they could not determine the specific cause of the problem just that it was something internal. Given the age they suggested that we just replace it.

Since a failed U2 IC is high on the list of causes I've contacted a couple reputable shops with the experience to do the repair to get a quote. Meanwhile, I borrowed a USB inline voltage/current tester expecting to see zero a current reading. What I found was a supply voltage of 5.04V and the following current readings:
  • 0.00A - ipad unplugged
  • 0.10A - when ipad is initially plugged in
  • 0.84A - after holding power & home buttons for 15 seconds.
Now I'm wondering if these are just fake current readings or maybe the charge circuit is not the problem but maybe the battery. I'm going to let the Pad stay on charge for a few hours and see if the current reading drops.

Larry

Most reactions

Latest posts