What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Microsoft Office for iOS Could be Delayed Until Fall 2014

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]
Microsoft_Office.JPG

If you’re one of the many people that has been eagerly anticipating Microsoft releasing an iOS version of Office, which, according to several reports over the past few years, is imminent, you might have to wait quite a bit longer if today’s report on ZDNet is accurate. According to ZDNet, a source has informed them of the details of Microsoft’s “Gemini†wave of updates for its desktop Office software, and which includes a first wave in October 2013, followed by a second wave in April 2014, which will include the new version of Mac Office, and an update for Office for Windows Phone, but not, according to the leaked roadmap, Office for iOS. ZDNet says that Office iOS is not mentioned until the Fall 2014 wave, when “Office for iOS/Android†appears, which would most likely be the long-awaited iOS version (which up until recently was thought to be iPad-only, but possibly not, judging by this). There is always a chance that these plans could change, however, and Microsoft move the launch of Office for iOS forward. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Source:[/FONT] Microsoft's Office for iOS, Android: Not until fall 2014? | ZDNet

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Not an issue for me. I've been loving QuickOffice pro for a while now. MS has really waited too long on this issue. Does anyone even care anymore?

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It will be popular, but I suspect it's bloatware and they are waiting for a 128g iPad with even faster processors than we have today.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It will be popular, but I suspect it's bloatware and they are waiting for a 128g iPad with even faster processors than we have today.

Yeah, that too. If you get the full blown version of MS office that will be the only app you can have on your iPad due to the space all being used :)

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, I care. I'd rather have an MS supported version of office than a suite from someone else. However, just like with everything else, MS is too slow to catch on to what is important. They really should be split up into several baby MSes. Maybe they will be forced to wake up now that Win8 and its devices are getting such a cold reception. But somehow I even doubt that. They need their entire culture upended.

Alexanderine

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You guyz one word >>> cloudon

This is definitely worth checking out

Attachments

• image-3927304754.jpg
    image-3927304754.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 781
  • image-1230726300.jpg
    image-1230726300.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 1,004

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, I care. I'd rather have an MS supported version of office than a suite from someone else. However, just like with everything else, MS is too slow to catch on to what is important. They really should be split up into several baby MSes. Maybe they will be forced to wake up now that Win8 and its devices are getting such a cold reception. But somehow I even doubt that. They need their entire culture upended.

I'd rather have a regular MS version of office too but due to feet dragging, me and many others grew tired of waiting. So, we ended up with one of those other suites that perfectly handle much of what we throw at it. MS waited too long and many of us have found other solutions. If they had an foresight they'd have released this years ago and still would be counting the money. Between apples native apps and the excellent available office products, the phrase "missed the boat" comes to mind.

If you are doing advanced stuff or whatever then a full blown MS office is the right choice for you. Otherwise, most of us are just fine with QuickOffice pro, documents 2 go, whatever.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I was reading up on this last night. Some writers in the tech press are convinced that MS have held Office back as a way of forcing users to buy their own hardware. The general consensus seems to be that all MS have done is reinforce their own insignificance.

People want iPads and Samsung tablets. They think they need Office, but the cold fact is that if you are doing all of your computing on a tablet, you don't need Office.

Some people need it, but they are the minority. MS could have played the game and made it available. It has a mystique about it that makes it difficult to consider using any other suite, but when it's simply not available, consumers start using alternatives, and in the case of iWorks, they may find that they like what they try.

The days are gone when MS call the shots. They didn't see the iPad coming. They certainly didn't see Google and Android coming, and they are paying the price. And if I were in the market for an office full of PCs, Windows 8 would convince me to take my business elsewhere. I might run Office for Mac, but if I was forced to buy Macs because of the hideous user interface of Win8, I'd probably just go with iWorks.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Microsoft never fails to disappoint with its releases. On the note of the late releases and idea and such, I mean, the iPhone has been one of the top selling devices out there. I mean with the breakout of the 4S and iPad 2 that it's clear as day that they'd be top sellers and that if they created an MS Office app that it'd be picked up easily for educational and professional purposes.

But ultimately, I get the feeling that it's going to be extremely underwhelming for the cost that MS will push it out for. I mean it's great that you have actual native support and such, but it'll probably be lackluster despite the "hype" of having MS Office on iOS

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I suspect MS cannot release Office for iOS because it won't work acceptably on the current hardware.... They are waiting for faster processor and more memory... Meaning it won't be compatible with any of today's hardware once it's shipping...

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I was reading up on this last night. Some writers in the tech press are convinced that MS have held Office back as a way of forcing users to buy their own hardware. The general consensus seems to be that all MS have done is reinforce their own insignificance.

People want iPads and Samsung tablets. They think they need Office, but the cold fact is that if you are doing all of your computing on a tablet, you don't need Office.

Some people need it, but they are the minority. MS could have played the game and made it available. It has a mystique about it that makes it difficult to consider using any other suite, but when it's simply not available, consumers start using alternatives, and in the case of iWorks, they may find that they like what they try.

The days are gone when MS call the shots. They didn't see the iPad coming. They certainly didn't see Google and Android coming, and they are paying the price. And if I were in the market for an office full of PCs, Windows 8 would convince me to take my business elsewhere. I might run Office for Mac, but if I was forced to buy Macs because of the hideous user interface of Win8, I'd probably just go with iWorks.

That about sums it up. Ironically, MS is starting to feel like apple did many years at when they went taken seriously or considered the other choice instead of th deaf to choice. Office has always been a great application and I've used it a lot. But, the solution I have is working for me now and I just don't feel the need to incorporate MS into my life anymore. One of my laptops is on its way out and I have no intention of replacing it with a new windows product. That'd been crazy to say five years ago. :)

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Neither iOS, Android, or OS X are ruling the business world, where MS is still in control. Also, while the tablet centered interface of Win8 is a blunder, Win8 is rock solid at its core, having many advantages over Win7. One could either replace the Modern UI or MS will make it optional (as it should have been). It is sad that MS has so little foresight, though. They should have saw this problem and provided options for folks to keep the more classic interface for desktops and to use the Modern UI (or, better yet, that from Windows Phone) for tablets/convertibles. Also, MS has been pushing mobile devices and touch screen devices for years, before the iPad and Android tablets. It never caught on...mainly because the hardware sucked and Windows on a tiny screen was a bad experience that required a pen to use. Apple showed the way with a touch interface, but then ignored those who need more precise control, which is now going to take the advantage back to MS because Win8 has both! MS, if they were smart, would release a version of the classic desktop for Win 8 immediately. There is more than one third-party option already available. MS is in serious need of new leadership.

Last edited:

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Neither iOS, Android, or OS X are ruling the business world, where MS is still in control. Also, while the tablet centered interface of Win8 is a blunder, Win8 is rock solid at its core, having many advantages of Win7. One could either replace the Modern UI or MS will make it optional (as it should have been). It is sad that MS has so little foresight, though. They should have saw this problem and provided options for folks to keep the more classic interface for desktops and to use the Modern UI (or, better yet, that from Windows Phone) for tablets/convertibles. Also, MS has been pushing mobile devices and touch screen devices for years, before the iPad and Android tablets. It never caught on...mainly because the hardware sucked and Windows on a tiny screen was a bad experience that required a pen to use. Apple showed the way with a touch interface, but then ignored those who need more precise control, which is now going to take the advantage back to MS because Win8 as both! MS, if they were smart, would release a version of the classic desktop for Win 8 immediately. There is more than one third-party option already available. MS is in serious need of new leadership.

That's one of the points that the article made that I was reading. Although they made the point that in the business world, it's Apple who are lacking foresight.

With the success they have had, and in spite of the grumblings even in the consumer market about them resting on their laurels, they should be spending some of that mountain of cash and pushing into the business market.

Perhaps there is some truth in the complaints that Apple decide what customers want and manufacture accordingly, and if that's true, they should eat a bit of humble pie and make products for business that business users want. The MacPro is a fine piece of equipment, but its clearly not what business users want, and its not even available in Europe. Pages is beautiful, just as the advertising says it is, but it isn't Word.

Apple should be asking the questions now. "Why do people still want Office?", and "How can we change that?"

Their rather childish "fat boy" anti Windows commercials can't carry them for ever. It's long been understood that when you have to resort to rubbishing your competition, you've run out of good things to say about yourself.

Most reactions