Microsoft Office for iOS Could be Delayed Until Fall 2014

Discussion in 'Apple iPad News' started by Maura, Apr 10, 2013.

1. Maura

Maura iPadForums News Team

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +108 / 0
    [FONT=&quot]
    [​IMG]

If you’re one of the many people that has been eagerly anticipating Microsoft releasing an iOS version of Office, which, according to several reports over the past few years, is imminent, you might have to wait quite a bit longer if today’s report on ZDNet is accurate. According to ZDNet, a source has informed them of the details of Microsoft’s “Gemini†wave of updates for its desktop Office software, and which includes a first wave in October 2013, followed by a second wave in April 2014, which will include the new version of Mac Office, and an update for Office for Windows Phone, but not, according to the leaked roadmap, Office for iOS. ZDNet says that Office iOS is not mentioned until the Fall 2014 wave, when “Office for iOS/Android†appears, which would most likely be the long-awaited iOS version (which up until recently was thought to be iPad-only, but possibly not, judging by this). There is always a chance that these plans could change, however, and Microsoft move the launch of Office for iOS forward. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Source:[/FONT] Microsoft's Office for iOS, Android: Not until fall 2014? | ZDNet
  2. s2mikey

s2mikey iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141 / 0
    Not an issue for me. I've been loving QuickOffice pro for a while now. MS has really waited too long on this issue. Does anyone even care anymore?
  3. thewitt

thewitt iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0
    It will be popular, but I suspect it's bloatware and they are waiting for a 128g iPad with even faster processors than we have today.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. s2mikey

s2mikey iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141 / 0
    Yeah, that too. If you get the full blown version of MS office that will be the only app you can have on your iPad due to the space all being used :)
  5. AQ_OC

AQ_OC Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430 / 0
    Yes, I care. I'd rather have an MS supported version of office than a suite from someone else. However, just like with everything else, MS is too slow to catch on to what is important. They really should be split up into several baby MSes. Maybe they will be forced to wake up now that Win8 and its devices are getting such a cold reception. But somehow I even doubt that. They need their entire culture upended.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Alexanderine

Alexanderine iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 1
    You guyz one word >>> cloudon

This is definitely worth checking out

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  7. s2mikey

s2mikey iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141 / 0
    I'd rather have a regular MS version of office too but due to feet dragging, me and many others grew tired of waiting. So, we ended up with one of those other suites that perfectly handle much of what we throw at it. MS waited too long and many of us have found other solutions. If they had an foresight they'd have released this years ago and still would be counting the money. Between apples native apps and the excellent available office products, the phrase "missed the boat" comes to mind.

If you are doing advanced stuff or whatever then a full blown MS office is the right choice for you. Otherwise, most of us are just fine with QuickOffice pro, documents 2 go, whatever.
  8. KevinJS

KevinJS Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +865 / 0
    I was reading up on this last night. Some writers in the tech press are convinced that MS have held Office back as a way of forcing users to buy their own hardware. The general consensus seems to be that all MS have done is reinforce their own insignificance.

People want iPads and Samsung tablets. They think they need Office, but the cold fact is that if you are doing all of your computing on a tablet, you don't need Office.

Some people need it, but they are the minority. MS could have played the game and made it available. It has a mystique about it that makes it difficult to consider using any other suite, but when it's simply not available, consumers start using alternatives, and in the case of iWorks, they may find that they like what they try.

The days are gone when MS call the shots. They didn't see the iPad coming. They certainly didn't see Google and Android coming, and they are paying the price. And if I were in the market for an office full of PCs, Windows 8 would convince me to take my business elsewhere. I might run Office for Mac, but if I was forced to buy Macs because of the hideous user interface of Win8, I'd probably just go with iWorks.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. willerz2

willerz2 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +258 / 0
    Microsoft never fails to disappoint with its releases. On the note of the late releases and idea and such, I mean, the iPhone has been one of the top selling devices out there. I mean with the breakout of the 4S and iPad 2 that it's clear as day that they'd be top sellers and that if they created an MS Office app that it'd be picked up easily for educational and professional purposes.

But ultimately, I get the feeling that it's going to be extremely underwhelming for the cost that MS will push it out for. I mean it's great that you have actual native support and such, but it'll probably be lackluster despite the "hype" of having MS Office on iOS
  10. thewitt

thewitt iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0
    I suspect MS cannot release Office for iOS because it won't work acceptably on the current hardware.... They are waiting for faster processor and more memory... Meaning it won't be compatible with any of today's hardware once it's shipping...
  11. iJamesH

iJamesH iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +114 / 0
    Ding Ding we have a winner. I love this now I can put my spreadsheet program on my iPad now.
  12. Alexanderine

Alexanderine iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 1
    Yeaah good for you bro ;)
  13. s2mikey

s2mikey iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141 / 0
    That about sums it up. Ironically, MS is starting to feel like apple did many years at when they went taken seriously or considered the other choice instead of th deaf to choice. Office has always been a great application and I've used it a lot. But, the solution I have is working for me now and I just don't feel the need to incorporate MS into my life anymore. One of my laptops is on its way out and I have no intention of replacing it with a new windows product. That'd been crazy to say five years ago. :)
  14. AQ_OC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430 / 0
    Neither iOS, Android, or OS X are ruling the business world, where MS is still in control. Also, while the tablet centered interface of Win8 is a blunder, Win8 is rock solid at its core, having many advantages over Win7. One could either replace the Modern UI or MS will make it optional (as it should have been). It is sad that MS has so little foresight, though. They should have saw this problem and provided options for folks to keep the more classic interface for desktops and to use the Modern UI (or, better yet, that from Windows Phone) for tablets/convertibles. Also, MS has been pushing mobile devices and touch screen devices for years, before the iPad and Android tablets. It never caught on...mainly because the hardware sucked and Windows on a tiny screen was a bad experience that required a pen to use. Apple showed the way with a touch interface, but then ignored those who need more precise control, which is now going to take the advantage back to MS because Win8 has both! MS, if they were smart, would release a version of the classic desktop for Win 8 immediately. There is more than one third-party option already available. MS is in serious need of new leadership.
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  15. KevinJS

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +865 / 0
    That's one of the points that the article made that I was reading. Although they made the point that in the business world, it's Apple who are lacking foresight.

With the success they have had, and in spite of the grumblings even in the consumer market about them resting on their laurels, they should be spending some of that mountain of cash and pushing into the business market.

Perhaps there is some truth in the complaints that Apple decide what customers want and manufacture accordingly, and if that's true, they should eat a bit of humble pie and make products for business that business users want. The MacPro is a fine piece of equipment, but its clearly not what business users want, and its not even available in Europe. Pages is beautiful, just as the advertising says it is, but it isn't Word.

Apple should be asking the questions now. "Why do people still want Office?", and "How can we change that?"

Their rather childish "fat boy" anti Windows commercials can't carry them for ever. It's long been understood that when you have to resort to rubbishing your competition, you've run out of good things to say about yourself.
  16. AQ_OC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430 / 0
    Yeah, Apple, with all of their great success, is really hard to understand. I mean, why, why, why in the world are the not being aggressive about the Mac Pro? It is really that hard to support that machine? Gosh, just a team of two or three people could keep that line up-to-date and fresh, but they can't seem to manage it. Yet, they can make droves of iPod Touches in every color you can imagine. It seems like they, too, need new management!

I guess the bottom line is that none of these companies are perfect..they all have good points, or strong points, and they all have weak points, or blind spots. They all seem evil, and good, depending on your point of view, the issue in question, and the day of the week. I guess that's why I keep my eggs spread around...I don't like to be too dependent on products from any single tech giant. Spread the glory, to ease the pain. :)
  17. KevinJS

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +865 / 0
    When you consider the heights to which Apple have grown, it's perhaps not surprising that they are floundering a bit, or appear to be. Pre-iPod they were a bit player. Ãœber geeks had Macs, and everyone else had PCs. A laptop was a status symbol, and syncing it up was a BIG bore.

I read that the development team for OS X have been set to work on iOS 7. That strikes me as a bit of panic setting in. Business has to be where they need to strike. Perhaps now Steve Jobs is no more, they could partner with MS to supply good hardware, OS AND business software? (That was difficult to write, but business can't afford to hold grudges).
  18. Bob Maxey

Bob Maxey iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +80 / 0
    Two kinds of users: those that do not depend on a WP for their supper (and can do well enough with almost any of the currently available programs for iOS) and those that have special requirements and needs for the tools of their trade.

If and I say IF I use Word for the iPad (or Office) it must do what I need a WP/Office Suite to do. I love Word, but if it is bloated and offers very little, I could give a red rat's rosy ruffled red rumpled rump about Office on the iPad. I know it will not give me everything I NEED from time to time so I expect it to be slimmed down and loaded with nothing but basic features attempt by Microsoft to capture a little iPad glory because by the time it is released, Surface will be on the remainder table with the rest of the failed technology.

I do wonder how much of the Office package will require the cloud. If ANY of it does, I will be dosappointed. See, what I did there? And I loved DOS, go figure.

Before all of you start salivating at the prospects of MS-Office on the iPad, perhaps you should learn more about it and wait until it arrives. Sometimes the Office Suite is not always greener on the Microsoft side of the fence. Heck, when Apple releases a Surface RT version of Pages, I might go Surface.
  19. s2mikey

s2mikey iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141 / 0
    Office on iOS is so delayed and out of mind that most of use have found another solution and are quite happy with it. I think what in trying to say is that MS missed the window on this by about, oh, five years or so. Dummies.
  20. jonbill

jonbill iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    QuickOffice Pro and Documents to Go and all alternatives that I have tried are incredibly lame for anything but the most basic documents. You can't do any serious office work on them. And forget about anything involving VBA. The only viable options, like CloudOn, or just a Remote Desktop solution, are the only viable solutions for documents of any complexity. But, even if you have a good office solution of some kind the small screen size and touch interface are awkward at best compared to working on a laptop or desktop PC. I use Wyse PocketCloud to connect to a server at 1600x1024 on my iPad 3 but mouse emulation is a major issue and it's hard on my 53 year old eyes. Then the onscreen keyboard covers nearly have the screen. I've heard this from many people. It's just not a good tool for serious office work. I find it's fine for lightweight work when you don't have access to a laptop or a desktop. Then I import it into Word and finish it up.

I'd welcome any version of Office that was more capable than existing solutions and didn't depend on the web.

That's not to say I don't love my iPad. I seriously do, but this is a weakness. There's a - very questionable - rumor that Apple is testing a 13" iPad. I would welcome that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD