1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Microsoft Office Finally Comes to iPad as a Free Download

Discussion in 'Apple iPad News' started by Maura, Mar 27, 2014.

1. Maura

Maura iPadForums News Team

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +100 / 0
    [​IMG]

We’ve been writing about the possibility of Microsoft coming to iPad for years it seems, but now the day has finally arrived, with ZDNet reporting that Microsoft’s new CEO Satya Nadella has taken the opportunity of his first press event as CEO to announce the arrival of Office for iPad.

During an event in San Francisco today, which was primarily devoted to the intersection of cloud and mobile, Nadella announced that Office for iPad, encapsulating Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, will be available to download from the App Store for free.

According to ZDNet, Microsoft has rebuilt Office for iPad from scratch, which is probably why it took so long! Although the basic suite is free to download, and will remain free for basic tasks, if you want something more advanced, you’ll have to subscribe to Office 365.

ZDNet has wasted no time in getting to grips with the new Office for iPad app, as in a follow-up feature to the launch announcement, it hails Office for iPad as “the gold standard for tablet productivity.â€

Source: Microsoft launches Office for iPad | ZDNet
    Microsoft Office for iPad sets the gold standard for tablet productivity | ZDNet
  2. zstairlessone

zstairlessone iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +439 / 0
    Looks good possibly, needs iOS7 to install. Can't wait for my new iPhone
  3. skimonkey

skimonkey Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,000 / 0
    I think that's a smart way to do it for Microsoft, since it's been long in the wait for them to arrive. My curiosity is getting the best of me so I'll go and try it out. :)

Edit...well re-reading this story and reading the app, it is free for "read" only docs. I can do that already on many of the apps I already have. However, looks very promising for hard-core Microsoft users waiting for this Office app to arrive.
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  4. col.bris

col.bris Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +458 / 0
    Be interesting how it takes off. I can see any one whom owns several devices will be happy to pay the $100 approx per year however some one whom owns only one iPad may find this a bit steep and op to use pages or alternative apps which are free. Business users will benefit with having office products available
  5. tlbaker

tlbaker iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +96 / 0
    Ehhh, read only is fine for me. I don't need a subscription to 360.

Sent from my Black Verizon 64GB iPad 2 in NYC using iPF
  6. The ~Seraphim~

The ~Seraphim~ iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +130 / 0
    I guess I was wrong. Now I see how microsoft will win over iWork.....
  7. tlbaker

tlbaker iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +96 / 0
    I have old devices so iWork for me is not free. ;)

Sent from my Black Verizon 64GB iPad 2 in NYC using iPF
  8. s2mikey

s2mikey iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +126 / 0
    Some people will no doubt use it and it be hyped up at first but overall I still feel they are very late with this. For a tablet, the other options are good enough for most users. The free versions will likely be fairly crippled. They aren't going to give it away for free.
  9. AQ_OC

AQ_OC Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430 / 0
    MS has been late to the game before....this is no different. From reports, though, this is a very good first attempt. If it is indeed good, I think it may win over a lot of people. Even myself, am thinking that I can use this to play my Powerpoint files on my iPad, as I give many talks on the iPad. Being able to have annotations that work is a big deal for me. And the fact is, I use Office everyday. Until now, I just didn't bother with using actually Office files on the iPad. I'd convert the PDFs and use GoodReader to view the files. But if this is really good, I might get an Air and a keyboard and actually use Office on my iPad! That is *if* it works. If it is no better than the other options, then I won't bother and I'll just keep doing what I'm doing. But if I can create equations and drawing on a PC, edit that on an iPad, and move back to the PC, then I'm sold. Laptops will have gone down another rung (there are still some programs an I need that require a PC/MAC - like Matlab, the Adobe suite, and stuff like NEC, etc.).

Having said all of that, it is still frustrating to watch how MS behaves. They need to fire everyone in charge there and bring in totally fresh talent. They only reason they seem to exist these days is because of their past glory. Frankly, I still blame them for the death of software innovation on PCs (I include MACs in this too, as to me, a MAC is a PC -- I get tired of having to make a distinction). IMO, they created the perfect landscape for mobile devices today. Their near total dominance on the PC/MAC software world just killed everything, so people had to go mobile while the lumbering, sleeping giant known as Microsoft figured out what was going on. They did the exact same thing when the Internet came. They are like the dragon Smaug.
  10. faturner

faturner iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    I was looking at it today and one thing jumped out at me in the comparison chart between the iPad version and the desktop: PRINTING IS NOT SUPPORTED ON THE IPAD! How is this going to beat iWork?
  11. col.bris

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +458 / 0
    Same issue on iPhone as well no printing option. Not sure about subscription option if printing is supported
  12. The ~Seraphim~

The ~Seraphim~ iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +130 / 0
    It is supported actually. Wirelessly.
  13. col.bris

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +458 / 0
    AirPrint is not an option on the read only version
    Quote release info. Yes it will come sometime in the future........o well another day in the world of Microsoft

The first iteration of Microsoft’s Office for iPad lacks the ability to print, an unfortunate omission that Microsoft representatives intimated will be fixed in a forthcoming release.

“Microsoft will absolutely continue to update the app on a regular basis,” a company representative told us.

That’s not to say Microsoft’s iPad suite is intrinsically unable to print, or that it has trouble connecting to Apple’s own AirPrint service. Rather, the suite’s three apps (Word, PowerPoint, and Excel) simply don’t have a print function yet. A support document within the apps confirms this.
  14. s2mikey

s2mikey iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +126 / 0
    Well put, AC. It does seem that people are warming up to it and even buying subscriptions too. I am probably good with the apple office apps but who knows what the future holds? For anyone needing the power and compatibility of MS office, this is a good set of apps for them.

And yes, Microsoft is getting by on past glory. They are so NOT as important now and seem like just another tech or software company in the crowded field instead of a leader like they always were. Who knows though? Maybe this office app is the kind of thing they need to get back on track. I'm fine with it since ultimately competition is a GOOD thing for me. So, go Microsoft, go! :)
  15. Jenningsville

Jenningsville iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    Rendering is spot on. All the other 3rd party apps have always got the rendering messed up so i always had to convert tp pdf for display on my iPad. But all the MS Office apps are rendering perfectly. I havent set up my O365 subs yet so only tested read-only mode so far. The only flaw I've detected so far is that Powerpoint for iPad cant handle any of my pptx files. Fine with ppt.
  16. col.bris

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +458 / 0
    Many thanks for your contribution it is appreciated by all in our forums
  17. wildsdi

wildsdi iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It's free only for read only. If you want to edit, you have to pay $99.90 subscription for Office 360. Am happy with Quickoffice. Uninstalled all 4. Scam!!
  18. dhewson777

dhewson777 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +89 / 0
    Not a scam, just a differing payment/subscription model to most other apps available. Handy for those already with an Office 365 subscription.
  19. skimonkey

skimonkey Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,000 / 0
    This is from my Twitter feed from @AppleSpotlight ....

image-2553087640.jpg
  20. gurkin

gurkin iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sorry I must agree it is misleading you can Only use full version if you have Office 365 , not everyone can afford to pay for just about everything , nice try Microsoft.