What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Messages not working now IPad2 WIFI 3G

Kidoodles

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Help please. IPad 2 WIFI 3G (no data plan). Yesterday was able to easily send messages and now they won't go through unless it's another iPhone user. (also have Iphone4). What happened? Can it be fixed?

TIA

hpulmer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.saveourseafarers.com
Kidoodles said:
Help please. IPad 2 WIFI 3G (no data plan). Yesterday was able to easily send messages and now they won't go through unless it's another iPhone user. (also have Iphone4). What happened? Can it be fixed?

TIA

The reason is that the Messages App (iMessag) is working only between i-Products, as you already state yourself.
The Message App on your iPhone "decides" whether to send the message as an iMessage (this you can see in the space begfore you start typing) or as a text message.
As the text messages are charged by message and do not use any data plan you are only able to send them from your iPhone.
As the iMessages do use data plan/ Wifi (Internet connection, same as any other chat-software does) it is only possible to other iMessage-user.

Hope this helps!

☠ stay safe ☠ stay legal ☠

OP
Kidoodles

Kidoodles

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hpulmer said:
The reason is that the Messages App (iMessag) is working only between i-Products, as you already state yourself.
The Message App on your iPhone "decides" whether to send the message as an iMessage (this you can see in the space begfore you start typing) or as a text message.
As the text messages are charged by message and do not use any data plan you are only able to send them from your iPhone.
As the iMessages do use data plan/ Wifi (Internet connection, same as any other chat-software does) it is only possible to other iMessage-user.

Hope this helps!

☠ stay safe ☠ stay legal ☠

Ok I'm confused. why did it work before on my home wifi network?

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok I'm confused. why did it work before on my home wifi network?

Do you mean working between your iPhone and your iPad at home? As what hpulmer stated, imessaging will only work between Apple devices running iOS 5 or greater.

OP
Kidoodles

Kidoodles

iPF Noob
Reaction score
skimonkey said:
Do you mean working between your iPhone and your iPad at home? As what hpulmer stated, imessaging will only work between Apple devices running iOS 5 or greater.

Yes until yesterday I was able to send messages to anyone from the IPad not just To I users. Strange

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes until yesterday I was able to send messages to anyone from the IPad not just To I users. Strange

Using the iMessage app? I didn't think that was possible from all that has been discussed with this app. It was exclusive only to apple devices only. Is this the app you are referring to or maybe another.

Most reactions

Latest posts