1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Does iPad2 3G works on other Carriers ?

Discussion in 'iPad 2 Forum' started by anksh08, Jul 28, 2011.

1. anksh08

anksh08 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hii,
    I'm new to the forum.
    I bought my iPad2 last weekend from the Apple Store. :)

I started using it on Wifi without signing up for the ATT data plan, although it came with a micro sim.

While buying the Apple Store guys told me that the ATT 3G version is ready to be used with any GSM carrier across the globe. This means that its an unlocked iPad.

Just to confirm I just tried using my T-Mobile microsim (made from the original SIM), I got the network for T-Mobile with an "E" sign (EDGE Network) but I was not able to check if the data was working as I dont have a data plan on T-Mobile.

I will be travelling outsite the United States to a few countries (including Norway, India etc..) next month. Please tell me if I will be able to use any other 3G micro sim card to access data without any issues.

thanks in advance
  2. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0
    The Apple guy is correct; the AT&T version of the iPad is unlocked and will happily work with any microSIM card from any carrier around the world. Many Members have used their iPads all over the world with local SIM cards without any problems.

The only issue you might face is the availability of microSIMs as opposed to the more common SIM cards. Only the iPhone4 and iPad use a microSIM, so the availability of these is not as widespread. The difference between the two types is only a slight reduction in size by the omission of excess plastic packaging of the SIM. Several retailers market a 'SIM-cutter' a guillotine sort of device that trims the excess plastic off a regular SIM. You can purchase these from Amazon and it might be worth considering in case you come across a location where regular SIMs are available but not micro-SIMs.

Tim
  3. anksh08

anksh08 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the detailed response.
    I'm a bit more relieved now. Coz there was a lot of confusion around this one.

So when I put anyother MicroSim or a custom made MicroSim, I believe that I'd have to put in the APN settings for the particular carrier.
  4. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0
    It depends - some 'smart' SIM cards automatically put the APN in for you - but probably you'll need to do that and any user account and password (normally not required because the operator authorises you on the basis on your mobile number.)

Let us know how you get on...

Tim