What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for foreign language ebook reader with dictionary...

Status
Not open for further replies.

drezilla

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there an iPad app that can read a foreign language book that also has a dictionary?

The language that I am looking to read in this particular case is German, and I would like to have a German -> English dictionary. Basically, I am looking for something similar to the Apple iBook software but currently it only supports an english dictionary. The original text is a .txt file so I can convert it to any format.

I do not mind paying for the app or the dictionary, it just needs to work !!!

Btw, since I am living outside of the US i cannot use the B&N software - a real pain in the ass...
Regards
Dre

Gheranda

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello.

It is possible to add dictionaries and get them to work with iBooks. They're the same as dictionaries for Mac os x. You can download or make one (on a Mac) and then hack iBooks (there is a plist of languages) to recognize it. :).

The info to make a dictionary is on the net. And modifying iBooks, the above hint should get you there. :)

scisolve

iPF Noob
Reaction score
foreign language reader

The iPad app RosettaReader in the App Store may be of interest. It allows you to to select text in any one of 30 languages and get a translation in one of the remaining 29 languages of your choice. German->English is supported. So if you can find the book of interest online (e.g. through Project Gutenberg) then it might meet your needs.
(Disclosure: I am the author of this app).

michaela1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does this mean rosettareader does not work then within the ibooks or kindle book app on ipad? I am looking for something that does without having to switch back and forth while reading into another app

Cidral

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try ireader4study - it has a huge list of dictionaries that translate within the app with a simple touch - works for me (I use the italian, german and french ones...)

sculptER

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I too was Looping for something of this dort and found it. The"Kindle" App has the ability to Highlight a Word and Look it up in a Dictionary. If you change the Language On your iPad to German and use this Feature, the First Time you Highlight, you Should get a Message saying there is nö Dictionary, would you like to Download One? Answer "yes" and you get a Ratsherr Good German Dictionary. The only Problem is that it is German German. I habe purchased the "Collins" Dictionary, which is exzellent. Using the Four Finger sowie to go back and forth bewegen the German Language Kindle Book and the Dictionary is also wonderful. Viel Glück.

sculptER

iPF Noob
Reaction score
sculptER said:
I too was Looping for something of this dort and found it. The"Kindle" App has the ability to Highlight a Word and Look it up in a Dictionary. If you change the Language On your iPad to German and use this Feature, the First Time you Highlight, you Should get a Message saying there is nö Dictionary, would you like to Download One? Answer "yes" and you get a Ratsherr Good German Dictionary. The only Problem is that it is German German. I habe purchased the "Collins" Dictionary, which is exzellent. Using the Four Finger sowie to go back and forth bewegen the German Language Kindle Book and the Dictionary is also wonderful. Viel Glück.

Sorry about the gemixxed pickles on the post, I had my language still set to Deutsch and the iPad corrected several English to German. One note, the book you need to be reading should be a German Kindle book. Needless to say you can change your iPad language back to English and still use the German German dictionary. The Collins is unaffected by the iPad language.

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Try ireader4study - it has a huge list of dictionaries that translate within the app with a simple touch - works for me (I use the italian, german and french ones...)

Can't find ireader4study in the app store!

daymont87

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try to use "TReader" - it supporting offline "Slovoed" and "Pons" dictionaries, very useful, really help me. I found it few weeks ago. iphone only supporting, but anyway - better then nothing

Last edited:

Ascendo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
German English Translation Dictionary

Is there an iPad app that can read a foreign language book that also has a dictionary? ...and I would like to have a German -> English dictionary. I do not mind paying for the app or the dictionary, it just needs to work !!!

Hi Dre,

One way to use a dictionary app with your e-reader would be to tap & copy a word to the clipboard, then switch back & forth between a dictionary app and the book reader using four finger swipe or the iOS app switcher.

Best,
Marc

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for your input; we always appreciate members helping each other out.

However, this is an old thread. Either the original poster has found the answer elsewhere or has moved on (last post was in December 2011).

Therefore, this thread is closed. Thanks for your understanding.

Marilyn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts