What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

App to read ebook with offline dictionary

Uriens

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi!
I'm looking for an app to read ebooks!
Ok, but it's not that simple! ;)
I need one that have offline dictionaries in various languages: english-french, english-spanish, english-italian, (or can let me load, buy them or whatever) and one that tapping on a word can show me its meaning. (as in the sony ebook reader; come on Apple, is it so difficult?:confused:)
Any insight? Free or not, doesn't matter since I really need it!
Thanks!:)

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you download the Kindle app for the iPad (it's free) you can then download any number of dictionaries and books. In fact, when I downloaded it, it came with a free Oxford English Dictionary - so you can see what it would be like - try before you buy!!

Tim
Scotland

OP
U

Uriens

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Tim,
I'm aware of that, but after I've bought some dictionaries; can I use those to look for single words while reading anything else without writing the words every time? Just using a long tap to highlight a word and then looking for its translation from the menu that appears?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK - sorry for the misunderstanding. No - I don't know of an app that can do this - it's probably not possible (other Forum members please correct me if I'm wrong) because of the restrictions imposed by Apple (sandboxing) which limits the interaction between apps (I have read that this restriction was introduced to avoid virus problems, but other - more knowledgeable - members will be able to correct me on this.)

Hope you have a great weekend

Tim
Scotland

OP
U

Uriens

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don't worry, probably I didn't make myself clear enough into the first post. :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Both iBooks and Kindle allow definition lookup, but of course they use built in dictionaries, and you can't select or change them.

Stanza apparently goes online for it's dictionary lookups. I don't now how it would react to non-english words. I don't have any books to experiment with. It is a free app though, so it won't cost much to try it.

It will read ePub .mobi and a few other non-DRM formats. If you have a Mac you can get the OS X version for the computer. It will read and convert to a larger number of formats.

Selecting a word is a bit weird. You tap-hold, and it highlights the whole paragraph, but when the Define menu option comes up your word will be selected, along with the ability to expand or shrink your selection.

Last edited:

jannie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@ Uriens

Have you already found any solution? It still isn't available in ibooks... a big mistake...

thanx

shaskill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have wasted a lot of time on this issue as well. Few of us need an English dictionary. The old Palm Treo had an amazing dictionary lookup via Ultralingua, Oxford etc. Worked smooth but they say the programming to integrate books and their dictionaries is not available as it involves different apps.
That said, if you can read html texts, the various split screen readers work really well on line. I read Italian newspapers that way.

Cidral

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try ireader4study - it has a huge list of dictionaries that translate within the app with a simple touch - works for me (I use the italian, german and french ones...)

shoshyy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have so many simple apps that use to read ebooks but i don't have this type of app. it is really very good app by the way but i think also quite difficult to find. so i watch out for this.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts