What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Live coverage from San Francisco Apple Store

Status
Not open for further replies.

Max

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.maxtatau.com
photosanfrancisco.jpg

I will be camping out the San Francisco Apple Store on Stockton street starting at 3am (ish) Pacific time and will update this post with pics and updates on the line up until the opening at 9am. There will most likely be a gap for a couple of hours as I will not bother you with the streetlife of the Barbary Coast between 4am and 7am!
And yes, it will be raining! :)

UPDATE - 9.55PM

Just found out theres 4 or 5 people in line already so Im gonna head down there sooner than planned!

11.30pm
DSC07100.jpg

Seems like me and Alaa (green jacket) from MacRumors.com are afterall first in line. They group of four before us does not have any reservations or preorders, but are here to heckle the ipad to the media later on!! Friggin wierdos! On another note Im asking you all to bear with the quality of my pics as I still love and hang on to my iPhone 2G, low quality pics and all :)

2.30am
IMG_0090.jpg

Apple staff is making noise inside hanging banners behind the curtains entertaining the line which now is up to eleven people! Very cool crowd! No rain yet which also rocks!

4.15am
IMG_0093.JPG

Applestaff is changing decals and windowdisplay on the side of the store. We all are like kids staring at the goldfish tank Lol!

DSC07107.JPG

Line has now grown up in the 30s. Feels like time is flying by!
Doing triva and talking gadgets with the initial 10 ( with exception of the first four guys who are ipad haters, still a bunch of wierdos. Lol)

6.10am
IMG_0097.jpg

Okey, I'm officially superpsyched! Eventhou the main windows have the magic black curtains covering them, the sidewindow now holds an iPad! So very cool!

7.20am
IMG_0100.JPG

I'm now officially first in line! Staff came out and set up a reserved line and a non reserved line!

8.17am

We're it!! Just got interviewed by NY Times! Hopefully he will include me representing our beloved forum!

A7737BAA-F5BA-4DD6-8B9A-201D053A6E59-170-0000003692327673

IMG_0104.JPG

10.00am

Im finally home...
Being first in line (with a reservation!) and first to enter the store, attracted alot of press from all over the states and the world, Im supposed to expect calls from Associated Press, SF Chronicle, NY Times, The Asian Shimbun (Japans main newspaper) later on today and for the next couple of days!
Im very tired, my hands and knees are swollen from lack of sleep plus not using my waterbottle enough.
That was probably one of the craziest experiencies in my life, I got to meet Jony Ives who congratulated me (and me thanking him for all he have done!) Wasnt allowed to take pics with thou...

Its an awesome little machine and I think I might have won the Pacific Time zone case from CIMO.

Time to play! More pics will follow soon!

Thank you all for following my little adventure in my corner of the world!

Last edited:

JohnnyApple

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Max,

Be sure to tell everyone about the forum here, it would be great to get some new people here. Wish I had some biz card templates done but I don't :(

OP
Max

Max

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.maxtatau.com
Max,

Be sure to tell everyone about the forum here, it would be great to get some new people here. Wish I had some biz card templates done but I don't :(

Might hangaround the store for a bit later in the day and reset the safari homepage on the ipads in the store to our forum....maybe! LOL

But hell yeah! Absolutely...A man gotta represent! Right?

With a little luck I might be first in line and we'll get some media coverage aswell! That would rock!

DavidNM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Max,

You know - if you were to put a quickie intro doc together (b & w) - maybe two individual fliers to an 8x11 page - put the forum logo as well as what it's about -- then post as a high priority topic on the board early tonight -- I bet you could get some members to print off some sheets and hand them out at the Apple Store tomorrow. Just a suggestion.

DanaNgidhu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Max,

You know - if you were to put a quickie intro doc together (b & w) - maybe two individual fliers to an 8x11 page - put the forum logo as well as what it's about -- then post as a high priority topic on the board early tonight -- I bet you could get some members to print off some sheets and hand them out at the Apple Store tomorrow. Just a suggestion.

I plan to stop by the Best Buy after I receive my IPAD tomorrow, just to get some pointers. If you send the flyers, I will pass some out to the less fortunate persons standing in the line. :)

I am in Alexandria, Virginia.

Dana

OP
Max

Max

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.maxtatau.com
Just got a call from a fellow apple geek that theres 4 (Four) people in line as of 9.30pm....

Its all fine by me aslong as im not behind 100 people LOL

dennis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good luck Max! I wish I was getting mine tomorrow, but mine is coming later this month. :)

Stay warm. I hope it doesn't rain too much on you.

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I just read on a local blog that both Austin locations will not allow you to line up outside before 7:00AM..

"Both Barton Creek Mall and The Domain have announced that no one will be allowed to line up outside the Apple Stores prior to 7:00 AM so go ahead and have that second cup of coffee."

Snoopyto

iPF Noob
Reaction score
At the Orlando Florida Mall at 7:15am Eastern, the line had 10 pre-orders and about 25-standby folks. Same thing here, Apple employees making tons of noise setting up the new display.

Trying to pass the word about ipadforums.net

AuDioFreaK39

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
So I'm actually the guy at the very front of the line. ;) My friend wearing the blue jacket is the one getting an iPad 16GB WiFi model today, while I was simply his ride into town.

Originally, his iPod touch 3rd generation had been damaged several weeks ago, and he was in the market to replace it with another. However, after a few weeks of research and some discussion, he was convinced that he wanted a "larger" replacement, if you will. As such, I recommended the iPad to him as it's a viable alternative to the iPod touch and could almost literally be dubbed the "iPod touch XL."

As an IT journalist covering various aspects of the emerging tablet computing industry, I felt inclined to drive up to San Francisco this weekend and experience a proper launch of a potentially trendsetting portable device at the flagship store itself. While I may not be purchasing an iPad and have no intentions of purchasing the first-generation iteration, I am looking forward to this launch as much as any of the rest of the guys in line.

Here's to hoping for a timely, safe event with some great press coverage and analysis. :)

brhon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am really torn, as much as I want to go stand in line I think I will wait a little while for the first wave to subside. They ran a piece on Fox2 Detroit this morning and they said that one of our four local stores had more Ipads than just the reserved units. That would be good because now that I have had plenty of time to obsess over this now I think I need at least 32g, instead of 16.

Brian

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Morning Max and everyone else waiting in line :)

JohnnyApple

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Max, that's so awesome, let us know if there is an internet stream of the interview anywhere! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts