Just got my ipad and need some help

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by CheekyIpad, Jun 21, 2010.

1. iPadCharlie

iPadCharlie
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    The problem may very well be with your router. I have a D-Link DIR-615 wireless router. Why? Because of its outstanding quality? No! Because it was cheap! $20 mail order from BestBuy (+ S&H)

There's LOTS of forums where you will read about connectivity issues with D-Link routers and this one specifically. They key seems to be taking some of the variables away from the router, at least on the 802.11 side.

Since I don't have anything that uses 802.11n (and since this seems to be one of the weaker points of this router anyway), what really helped me was to take "N" out of the equation. Go to Setup | Wireless Settings | Manual Wireless Network Setup and change the 802.11 Mode to Mixed 802.11g and 802.11b.

[​IMG]
    (Yes, I have an SSID for my system, but I erased it from this screen shot. I guess I just paranoid!)

Some people report having better luck by un-checking the Enable Auto Channel Scan and trying specific channels to see if one works better than the other.

Also, this particular D-Link is known not to have the greatest range so that may be an issue as well.

Hope this helps!

#21 iPadCharlie, Jun 26, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2010
  2. tozol

tozol
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I must say, i don't have a d-link, but i will have a look at my settings to see if my router has that, lol at this moment in time, i must say ill try anything...
    if someone said stick your router in a bowl of dog food I would, hehe......

One last thing to, not sure if it's because i have comeon here more to chat about this, but it does seem to be happening a bit more.

By the way...just about to watch you guys in the world cup...Good Luck...

3. Hasty

Hasty
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    I had a netgear router and got caught out when I upgraded the software. It reset the idle timeout and it took me while to figure out what had happened. All I knew was that it kept dropping the connection.

Another thing you could do is check the signal strength. Sometimes you find local interference from other routers using the same channel as well as microwaves etc. running interference. Search for a program (free) called inSSIDer as it gives a graphic view of local networks and the channels they use. Sometimes changing this helps.

4. tozol

tozol
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:

Really appreciate the help mate on the netgear, i will check what you have said, especially, the channel searcher...cheers

5. Bremen

Bremen
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    I am one of those that think the "n" is part of the problem. My old Belkin "G" works perfect, never an issue. I briefly tried a new router with "n" and started having drop outs.... I took it back and went back to my G and again, zero problems......

I didn't see any speed improvement with N anyway......

6. CheekyIpad

CheekyIpad
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I agree!!!!

Yup this is the lovely router I have. But since I have it on a mac it won't let me save the settings like you pictured so I can't change and save security setting or the mode to g and b.

7. CheekyIpad

CheekyIpad
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:

This is what apple says though "Note: This is important if your Wi-Fi router supports 802.11n, as it may still be using the draft specification of the 802.11n standard."

So doesn't it have to be a N router and set to N?

8. iPadCharlie

iPadCharlie
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    I am scratching my head over this one! :confused: The changes I suggested above are made on the router itself so as long as you can access your router with administrator privileges, it shouldn't matter what kind of system it is running on in order to make changes.

9. CheekyIpad

CheekyIpad
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I know now that on the box doesn't say Mac compatible and some Linksys I am looking into say Mac compatible.

I went into the manual settings to change these things but when I hit save it says it's disabled in manual mode. :confused:

10. CheekyIpad

CheekyIpad
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I got a new router (Linksys WRT120N) and no problems at all. I went threw the instruction CD set my passwords and it pichec it up and worked right away.

Yay!