What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Maps..... Need some help!

Tsouthern

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, so I have tried searching and can't find what I need on this subject, so if anybody could help that would be much appreciated! I am looking for some site, place, or something that could give me kind of a walk through on how to put maps onto the iPad and then overlay other maps on top of them and other subjects like this. I found the GISRoam app that I think will work just not really good at using it yet so looking for some pointers or any good enough about this subject! Thanks for any help!

Tim

OP
T

Tsouthern

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Am I posting this in the wrong place or are maps just not really used that much on the iPad? Please let me know, I am lost on where to go next!
Thanks,
Tim

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Don't know of anything that would help. My favorite map apps are the Motion X ones and Topo, but I doubt they are what you are looking for.

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Perhaps it would help us help you if you describe what

you wanted to do. The GIS Roam app you mentioned allows you to overlay all kinds of data besides streets and roads, i.e., utility lines, etc. It is a free app so you are not going to loose any money getting it.

I have an electrical utility client and they are constantly looking at maps, and updating these maps with the locations of electric utility poles, wiring, sub-stations and geographical electrical lines. The city of Fort Wayne is widening roads and having accurate maps of where an electrical pole was and where an electrical pole will be is very important to them as these maps document what kind of work they did for the City of Fort Wayne. Since the telephone and cable companies often co-locate on the same poles, they get updated maps from those utilities that they have to include in their database.

In addition, the company is always updating their maps for gas and water lines. Is this the kind of information you want to access with your iPad? I wonder if this department uses iPads? I'll have to check and see if they have digitized their maps and whether or not these maps are available on the iPad.

OP
T

Tsouthern

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes! That's the type of info I want to do to my maps, thanks for letting me know it can be done. But what really need is the info on how to put the maps on the GISRoam app and how you overlay things over them. I've tried the help section on the app but just not following it! Maybe I'm just slow:) lol! If you know some place with info or a hands on type teaching about this info that would be great!!!!!! Thanks

Hutchia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
GISRoam Training Videos

Have you tried the training Videos on the gisroam website gisroam.com)

gisroam.com/gisroam-videos/

I think "using localconnect to load data" and "overview of the button" might answer your questions.

I see they have support as well for questions: Support at congent3D.com

OP
T

Tsouthern

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for the help! I don't know why I never thought about trying there website! Sometimes don't you just wanna slap yourself:) :) thanks again I will go check out their site, gosh what a bright idea! Lol

Most reactions

Latest posts