Just got my ipad and need some help

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by CheekyIpad, Jun 21, 2010.

1. CheekyIpad

CheekyIpad iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have the wi fi version. Does anyone else with this model have issues with the wi fi dropping? It's connected, then before i do anything it's gone. Sometimes it will be there for 10 mins or so then gone again. (i have a router in the house so is my own connection not a cafe or anything like that)

Also I downloaded some pics from my facebook album onto my ipad, they put them in all one album and I want them in different albums and to name them.

Any help would be appreciated, I am using a pc with vista cause I didn't realize that I can't plug in the ipad into my mac with os10.4.11. :(

Thanks

2. Blueroomelectronics

Blueroomelectronics iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The iPad has been said to have spotty WiFi, that said I use an Airport Express here and the iPad works like a charm. Make sure your Router has the latest firmware.

3. Robertt

Robertt iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Common problem. I restored my OS last week and I don't know if it's a coincidence but my wifi hasn't dropped since.

4. CheekyIpad

CheekyIpad iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Do you think that will improve with a OS update?

What is an Airport Express? How do I update firmware? The router is connected to the Mac.

Thanks!

5. CheekyIpad

CheekyIpad iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You mean you restored the iPad OS? To factory settings or just network settings?

6. Sonny Burnett

Sonny Burnett iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    All problems of this nature should be resolved with iOS 4.0. We can only wait and see.

7. CheekyIpad

CheekyIpad iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I hope. Though would like a solution now. Is ios 4 for iPad as well? I updated for my iphone already but says no updates available for iPad.

8. figmo10

figmo10 iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    The iPad OS update is scheduled for 'this fall'.

9. Anthony.L

Anthony.L iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My wifi works perfectly with my AirPort Extreme Base Station at home. Also works perfect with a very old Linksys WRT54G at my parents house.

I did have some spotty wifi when visiting a family member at a hospital this week but that's the only time so far. It still worked 90% of the time, and knows to know if that's their wireless AP's or the iPad itself.

10. Itzxdjx

Itzxdjx iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The only way you can orginize pictures for the iPad is to do them on your computer and sync thru iTunes.. I know a pain. And the wifi drops usually happen on certain wifi encryption pass codes and should be fixed with os4 in the fall. I never drop connection on an open network and regular WEP password.

11. rogatsby

rogatsby iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If you have an iPhone, the Photo Transfer app is awesome. Every few days, I transfer photos over WiFi from my iPhone to my iPad. Works like a charm.

12. CheekyIpad

CheekyIpad iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks, ya I figured that out when I brought some pics over from my mac onto the pc laptop and loaded them threw itunes. Is a pain. I dunno why they didn't make it so you could change them around on the ipad the same as you would do for the apps.

I loose the connection in my house, sitting in the same spot with my own router and password. :confused: So is all I can do it wait or would resetting the ipad help?

That's cool, yes i do. Though can you decide where what album it goes on the ipad?

13. iPadCharlie

iPadCharlie iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    I have an iPod Touch (two of them actually) and an iPad and I did notice that the WiFi signal strength indicator is not as strong on the iPad as either of iPods.

14. CheekyIpad

CheekyIpad iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I did some changes to my router settings that the apple website suggested. It is better, I can go for longer periods of being connected. Still drops though, but comes back faster/easier. Better but not great.

Sometimes it says in the top left corner I am connected but safari and other net apps say I'm not connected.

I think I will call Apple tomorrow.

15. tozol

tozol iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0

Well this is driving me bloody crazy, i have this exact same thing...

I'm currently with sky, here in the UK using a netgear router, now i get this very fast, "lost connection" and before you know it its back on, now i know you could say, oh well its only small, but i think it bloody stinks, and is so annoying, for a 430 pound device, that simply its main purposse is to have a 100% connection all the time.

A few other things to point out, now all the stories you hear ,saying its the device, its Apple, its whatever, well I'm a pc tech as well, and i can tell you right now,in my opinion, its all linked to routers and the way the ipad connects to yours specifically...( by the way it JUST happened, lol).

Anyway, i come back to the router, you see it is so obvious that is the problem, as it only effects some ipad customers, i will actually say right now, any future update from apple, will not cure the problem if you are one of the unlucky ones.

Now you have a few choices, none of which i may add, i have done yet, you can try and change recomended settings on your router, and you may, cure it, you could also try a different router, i will be testing this theory soon, as i do have a spare one to try.

So guys, i would actually suggest finding a working router and trying one.

I will say however i have seen a post from someone that has the same router as me, and yet has no problems, so that puts my thoery in some doubt you may say, i think not, something else must be not right.

I will finish with something that also convinces me its router problems...my macbook, does the same thing, no were near as often, but it does lose my wifi connection.

So guys, i would like some sort of thread made, were we can have folks put there router settings in, something like...router type, security type, and some other stuff.

I will keep you guys posted, on my change of router.
    It really is annoying to say the least, i just hope i find the problem soon.

Any extra info guys appreciated.