Just got my ipad and need some help

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by CheekyIpad, Jun 21, 2010.

1. CheekyIpad

CheekyIpad iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have the wi fi version. Does anyone else with this model have issues with the wi fi dropping? It's connected, then before i do anything it's gone. Sometimes it will be there for 10 mins or so then gone again. (i have a router in the house so is my own connection not a cafe or anything like that)

Also I downloaded some pics from my facebook album onto my ipad, they put them in all one album and I want them in different albums and to name them.

Any help would be appreciated, I am using a pc with vista cause I didn't realize that I can't plug in the ipad into my mac with os10.4.11. :(

Thanks
  2. Blueroomelectronics

Blueroomelectronics iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The iPad has been said to have spotty WiFi, that said I use an Airport Express here and the iPad works like a charm. Make sure your Router has the latest firmware.
  3. Robertt

Robertt iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Common problem. I restored my OS last week and I don't know if it's a coincidence but my wifi hasn't dropped since.
  4. CheekyIpad

CheekyIpad iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Do you think that will improve with a OS update?

What is an Airport Express? How do I update firmware? The router is connected to the Mac.

Thanks!
  5. CheekyIpad

CheekyIpad iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You mean you restored the iPad OS? To factory settings or just network settings?
  6. Sonny Burnett

Sonny Burnett iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    All problems of this nature should be resolved with iOS 4.0. We can only wait and see.
  7. CheekyIpad

CheekyIpad iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I hope. Though would like a solution now. Is ios 4 for iPad as well? I updated for my iphone already but says no updates available for iPad.
  8. figmo10

figmo10 iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    The iPad OS update is scheduled for 'this fall'.
  9. Anthony.L

Anthony.L iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My wifi works perfectly with my AirPort Extreme Base Station at home. Also works perfect with a very old Linksys WRT54G at my parents house.

I did have some spotty wifi when visiting a family member at a hospital this week but that's the only time so far. It still worked 90% of the time, and knows to know if that's their wireless AP's or the iPad itself.
  10. Itzxdjx

Itzxdjx iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The only way you can orginize pictures for the iPad is to do them on your computer and sync thru iTunes.. I know a pain. And the wifi drops usually happen on certain wifi encryption pass codes and should be fixed with os4 in the fall. I never drop connection on an open network and regular WEP password.
  11. rogatsby

rogatsby iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If you have an iPhone, the Photo Transfer app is awesome. Every few days, I transfer photos over WiFi from my iPhone to my iPad. Works like a charm.
  12. CheekyIpad

CheekyIpad iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks, ya I figured that out when I brought some pics over from my mac onto the pc laptop and loaded them threw itunes. Is a pain. I dunno why they didn't make it so you could change them around on the ipad the same as you would do for the apps.

I loose the connection in my house, sitting in the same spot with my own router and password. :confused: So is all I can do it wait or would resetting the ipad help?

That's cool, yes i do. Though can you decide where what album it goes on the ipad?
  13. iPadCharlie

iPadCharlie iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    I have an iPod Touch (two of them actually) and an iPad and I did notice that the WiFi signal strength indicator is not as strong on the iPad as either of iPods.
  14. CheekyIpad

CheekyIpad iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I did some changes to my router settings that the apple website suggested. It is better, I can go for longer periods of being connected. Still drops though, but comes back faster/easier. Better but not great.

Sometimes it says in the top left corner I am connected but safari and other net apps say I'm not connected.

I think I will call Apple tomorrow.
  15. tozol

tozol iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0

Well this is driving me bloody crazy, i have this exact same thing...

I'm currently with sky, here in the UK using a netgear router, now i get this very fast, "lost connection" and before you know it its back on, now i know you could say, oh well its only small, but i think it bloody stinks, and is so annoying, for a 430 pound device, that simply its main purposse is to have a 100% connection all the time.

A few other things to point out, now all the stories you hear ,saying its the device, its Apple, its whatever, well I'm a pc tech as well, and i can tell you right now,in my opinion, its all linked to routers and the way the ipad connects to yours specifically...( by the way it JUST happened, lol).

Anyway, i come back to the router, you see it is so obvious that is the problem, as it only effects some ipad customers, i will actually say right now, any future update from apple, will not cure the problem if you are one of the unlucky ones.

Now you have a few choices, none of which i may add, i have done yet, you can try and change recomended settings on your router, and you may, cure it, you could also try a different router, i will be testing this theory soon, as i do have a spare one to try.

So guys, i would actually suggest finding a working router and trying one.

I will say however i have seen a post from someone that has the same router as me, and yet has no problems, so that puts my thoery in some doubt you may say, i think not, something else must be not right.

I will finish with something that also convinces me its router problems...my macbook, does the same thing, no were near as often, but it does lose my wifi connection.

So guys, i would like some sort of thread made, were we can have folks put there router settings in, something like...router type, security type, and some other stuff.

I will keep you guys posted, on my change of router.
    It really is annoying to say the least, i just hope i find the problem soon.

Any extra info guys appreciated.
  16. CheekyIpad

CheekyIpad iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Is driving me crazy too! When it works I find it very fast, it working is the problem. I take back what I said about the changes working. After I posted it stopped connecting st all for a few hours.

I have been thinking about trying a new router too. I live at my Mum's and she has had connection issues with her pc that I couldn't figure out, but blamed on it being a pc. LOL Though maybe it is the Dlink.

Hate do have to buy a new one though. Can anyone recommend one that is Mac compatible (since it will be connected to my Mac tower) as well as my iPad and her pc vista laptop?
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  17. CheekyIpad

CheekyIpad iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I called Apple and they want me to try a different wireless source.
  18. tozol

tozol iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0

Great to know, i have been in touch with my isp to see about getting a different router.

I will say reading back, i have never had your " stopped for few hours problem", thank god, I would go crazy if that happened.

I have also tried different channels, as that also was quoted in some reports of curing it...well I have changed from the default channel 11 to 7 no succes there, exact same , dropps connects veey fast..in fact would say it,s dropped a lot more on 7.

Anyway hope we get thus fixed soon.

Toz
  19. mslammers

mslammers iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Photo Sorting

There is a $1.99 iPad app called Photo Sort for iPad that will let you establish lots of photo folders and move your photos around to the various folders as though they are albums. Lots of neat features as well. I got it and my iPad doesn't come until [Maybe Monday] next week. Stuck in Anchorage AK waiting for customs to act. Sigh!!
  20. tozol

tozol iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just want to make a comment on the bit above about the update in OS4 update, and its the words..."in the fall" , you know what is it only me that finds this, bloody disgusting?

Now Apple obviously know its a problem, and im certain they will have even seen it first hand, hence the quick response in saying a fix is coming.

Well i'm sorry but to me this is an ESSENTIAL update that is needed for the ipad right now, and should extreme priority in my opinion, especially as well, if they know its a certain fix, i have my doubts on that score to.

But really to say its coming in the fall, is just amazing to me, i guess they would rather keep churning the hardware out to make millions a day.

Now look i dont want to be seen apple bashing here, far from it im as big a fanboy as the next, with both a macbook and now an ipad, but me being one that is suffering from this obvuious problem, i just fine it disgusting, its not out a dam site quicker than stated.

Anyone else think this stinks a bit.

On a small side note, i have tried the other stuff mentioned to, wep, wpa, even the 3rd option on my router, all make not a jot of difference, starts dropping a few minutes of use.

I for one just think this should be of the highest priorty for apple, even before Os 4 for the pad, its just to important for a device that is so wi-fi centric..please apple get this sorted.