What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

JB iPhone / iPad interfacing

CT7_466

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Looking at purchasing an iPad and I have a few questions to help me choose wifi/3g model. I'm not adverse to a JB if necessary, so I thought I'd post the question here.

For the most part I'll use the iPad in wifi mode or tethered occasionally to my iPhone.

Is it possible to use the iPad as a larger video screen for the iPhone? For example, using the iPhone for gps mapping but displaying the output on the iPad for older eyes.

I'd be happier not paying the extra $100+ for the 3g model, but will if there's a reason or potential reason for doing so. Nor do I want to add anymore to my monthly connection bills.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

An additional question: does the gps system in the 3G iPad require an actual 3G connection to function, or does it operate independently of the 3G system?

Last edited:

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Looking at purchasing an iPad and I have a few questions to help me choose wifi/3g model. I'm not adverse to a JB if necessary, so I thought I'd post the question here.

For the most part I'll use the iPad in wifi mode or tethered occasionally to my iPhone.

Is it possible to use the iPad as a larger video screen for the iPhone? For example, using the iPhone for gps mapping but displaying the output on the iPad for older eyes.

I'd be happier not paying the extra $100+ for the 3g model, but will if there's a reason or potential reason for doing so. Nor do I want to add anymore to my monthly connection bills.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

An additional question: does the gps system in the 3G iPad require an actual 3G connection to function, or does it operate independently of the 3G system?

Veency is a jailbreak iPhone/iPad VNC client...you could probably load it onto your iPhone then log in to your iPhone with your iPad.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
trust me, its not worth your trouble and the lesser experience you will get. the extra money for the 3g model is worth it. I too got the 3G model just for this reason.

I didnt need the 3g connection, I have a MiFi already. But who knows if I may want to turn it on in the futur, you cant add it on to the wifi model.

I need GPS. Yes you could do something like connect a bluetooth GPS or connect with an iphone like you said. But thats just an added thing that needs to be done and carried around. The iPad 3G GPS chip is also more accurate than the iPhone GPS. Iphone has accuracy of about 56 feet, iPad has accuracy of about 16 feet.

As for displaying the iphone screen on the iPad display, it just looks bad. Do yourself a favor and spend the extra $120 for a better experience.

OP
C

CT7_466

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you both for your rapid responses.

Image degradation didn't occur to me, but it makes sense. It was just a thought. I'd only use for travelling to make the map image from the iPhone larger. I'm already supporting internet fees for two iPhones and a broadband connection - that's a hefty monthly fee for me. I guess I'll cough up the extra $ for 3G just in case.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

OP
C

CT7_466

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Got it today and it's already tethered to the iPhone! Larger screen than the iPhone without the hassles of a laptop. I love it.

Most reactions

Latest posts