What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jailbreak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pondy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi I've been looking at the jailbreak section and noticing quite a few people jailbreak their idevices ,my questions
are
What is the difference between one that has been jailbroken and one that hasn't
Do I have to use iTunes or can I drag and drop from my computer
Will all the apps I've bought still work
Would you go back to normal once you've jailbroken your

I have a new iPad and a iPhone 4

therealriley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Pondy said:
Hi I've been looking at the jailbreak section and noticing quite a few people jailbreak their idevices ,my questions
are

Once the device is jailbroken it gives your iPad a kinda new lease for life. I've personally not done it to the iPad yet but with my old iPod touch I had it set up completely customised and I miss it dearly because it was so customised I may never be able to get it back to that with the iPad (maybe I'm scared to try yet it's only a few months old, there is so many tweaks out there to improve the iPad to your own taste. Do a search for jailbreak tweaks and you will get an idea, but I would suggest just going for it and learning on the way because it changes so often it's too difficult to try and understand it first. Once jailbroken it's not really that different you just get access to Cydia which is like an unofficial app/ system tweak store which allows you to do many more features than apple dont allow. Both sides have fair arguments on whether to do it or not but it's really personal choice. You can drag and drop from your computer using other software but to be honest you never really completely leave iTunes alone. Your apps bought will still work as you still have apples app store and you still have your apple ID. I have gone back to normal previously but it's a complete cat and mouse game. Apple bring out iOS XX then the jail breakers hack it to be able to jailbreak it.
Then apple release iOS XXX then it starts all over again but if you don't want the new features just don't update it until another new jailbroken firmware is released. If your an advanced user of your iPad and are getting bored with it I would recommend doing the jailbreak but if your content for now don't bother. I personally jailbroken years ago so I could get free apps from alternative app stores but that was before I joined any forums and realised the difficulties this caused for app developers and am now strictly against ripping anybody off.
But things like themes which can totally transform your iPod/ iPad etc and tweaks like sbs settings were perfect because it gives you the option to have a handy shortcut to many features in settings like Bluetooth on/off, wifi on/ off etc so there's lots of benefits other than just getting free apps. You can even buy apps from Cydia now which could be a vital app to you that apple just won't allow on there AppStore as they can be quite picky, although I don't know why because there's some pretty dodgy apps that get accepted from apple also and it does seem sometimes that apple want to restrict the technology and real features off the products ( probably because they want to add that feature to the next I device and want you to eventually pay more for it) who knows? Anyway sorry for the long post that's just my opinions. Good luck with your decisions.

One more tip is to look through some YouTube videos on jailbroken iPads and look for the differences with other peoples iPads some of the themes are really cool.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
are

Have a look at this thread: http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/2838-jailbreak-explained-new-updated-2011-a.html

That should give you a good start on understanding jail break. And, it'll answer all the questions you've asked. Oh, except for what's the difference in stock and jail broken iPads. For that, see this thread to see what can be added to a jail broken iPad to make it do more functions or to have it customized just as you like it: http://www.ipadforums.net/showthread.php?t=25824

And no, I'd never go back to stock. Having a jailbroken iPad makes using the iPad so much easier. Have a read through some of these links and then the stories of the other members. You'll see what I mean...

And now, since this question has been asked a number of times, I'm closing the the thread. Please have a good read through the Hacking section. Thanks for your understanding.

Marilyn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts