What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Questions about Renting Movie and Playing Movies from iTunes ?

magnito

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am trying to rent a Movie from the iTunes Store I had a couple of questions regarding that.

1. The Movie is in 720P so even if I select 1080P in Edit>Preference>Playback in iTunes as 1080P will it still play at its original Resolution i.e 720P right ?

2. How do I transfer this Movie from iTunes to my iDevices, Just like I drag and Drop APPs from iTunes to my iDevices, the same way can I drag this Movie to my iDevice ? I have only Rented the movie and not purchased it so how does it work then ? If It is only for a Rent period and I drag the Movie on my iDevice will it stop after once I hav eplayed it completely ?

Thanks

mrcupu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
perhaps i can answer number two as you can freely transfer rental movies to idevices as that way but you can only play it a device at a time and i think theres is a built in timer or something inside all rental movies because once you play it you have to finish watch it within a day or two

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
1. The Movie is in 720P so even if I select 1080P in Edit>Preference>Playback in iTunes as 1080P will it still play at its original Resolution i.e 720P right ?

It will scale to fit the screen, but it's not going to be 1080p if the source is not 1080p. There is no way to add information that isn't already there. Also, there is little to zero benefit in 1080p on a 10-inch screen. That resolution comes into play when the movie is played on a really large screen so you can't see pixels at a reasonable distance.

2. How do I transfer this Movie from iTunes to my iDevices, Just like I drag and Drop APPs from iTunes to my iDevices, the same way can I drag this Movie to my iDevice ? I have only Rented the movie and not purchased it so how does it work then ? If It is only for a Rent period and I drag the Movie on my iDevice will it stop after once I hav eplayed it completely ?

You can purchase the movie on your device and download it directly. The benefit is no sync able and no dragging. But yes, this is the general way to get it done. I actually don't know about rented vs purchase (except that a purchased movie will always be available to you to redownload) on iTunes. I find prices way too high to purchase when I can buy the blu-ray and make my own digital copy to play as I please, but most folks choose not to do this. Generally, when you rent a movie you have so long after you start playing it to finish it, but you can watch it has many times as you can during that period (I only rent from Amazon).

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Once a movie is rented from iTunes, you have 30 days to start watching the movie and 48 hours to finish watching it once you start. You can watch the movie as many times as you want in the 48 hour period.

OP
M

magnito

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am downloading this Movie (Rented) on my Laptop in iTunes, so I would be able to drag and drop it in my ipad through iTunes right ? Don't know how things work for enter stuff on iTunes, so asking...

Will a 720P also play with those Black Bars on top and bottom of the screen ?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
magnito said:
I am downloading this Movie (Rented) on my Laptop in iTunes, so I would be able to drag and drop it in my ipad through iTunes right ? Don't know how things work for enter stuff on iTunes, so asking...

Will a 720P also play with those Black Bars on top and bottom of the screen ?

You don't have to drag and drop it to get it on your iPad. Here's how to do it.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1390

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
smithjenife said:
it you have to finish watch it within a day or two

Once you start watching the movie, you have 48 hours to finish watching it. You can watch it as many times as you like in that 48 hour period.

Most reactions