What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

JailBreak APPLE TV 3 (2012)

Tim348

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does anybody know If i can jailbreak the APPLE TV 3 yet? the 2012 version..

I want to do this mainly because i have 200 or so movies in .AVI Format that would need to be converted to MP4 in order to stream the VIDEO to the APPLE TV...

If i jailbreak it i know I can stream AVI and most other movie files just fine to APPLE TV...

I know i can jailbreak APPLE TV 2 , and im so annoyed with TV 3 not playing the AVI I'm about ready to return it and go buy an APPLE TV 2 online somewhere..

I have read the APPLE TV 3 Jail Break is not out yet, Does anybody know if they will be making a Jailbreak for it???

I prefer the TV 3 as it supports 1080P resolution, i believe the ATV 2 DOES NOT support 1080P picture quality...
I do like AIRPLAY though, pretty cool...

b00bie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There is currently not a jailbreak available for your model but they seem to be able to break just about everything, so be patient.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
An AppleTV3 JB is being worked upon, but it will be a very difficult task. The vulnerabilities which allowed us to JB the iPad2 and iPad3 are not present in the AppleTV3. There is just far less of IOS to attack when trying to JB the AppleTV3. (AppleTV2 is powered by an A4 processor and so is pwned for life, just like the iPhone4).

We just have to keep our fingers crossed! :D

Last edited:
OP
T

Tim348

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That sucks.. does the apple TV 2 support full 1080P resolution like the Apple TV 3 does?
If it does i may just return it and buy an apple tv2 online somewhere so i can jailbreak it...

ALSO.. do you guys know any fast way to convert .AVI videos to ATV3 HD 1080P format?? Im using Bigasoft which works and does it to 1080p BUT IT TAKES AN HOUR FOR EACH MOVIE!
THis sucks because i have about 200 movies or more in .AVI format..... somebody jailbreak ATV3 already!!

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That sucks.. does the apple TV 2 support full 1080P resolution like the Apple TV 3 does?
If it does i may just return it and buy an apple tv2 online somewhere so i can jailbreak it...

ALSO.. do you guys know any fast way to convert .AVI videos to ATV3 HD 1080P format?? Im using Bigasoft which works and does it to 1080p BUT IT TAKES AN HOUR FOR EACH MOVIE!
THis sucks because i have about 200 movies or more in .AVI format..... somebody jailbreak ATV3 already!!

It's not the software which makes the conversion slow. It's the processing power of your PC. Video conversion is one of the most long running CPU intensive tasks you will do. An hour per movie sounds good to me! :D

OP
T

Tim348

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have 8 gigs ram, windows 7 64 Bit, and Intel I-5 Processor, does anybody know of any way to convert the AVI to mp4 1080p faster than an hour?? Cant wait til they jailbreak the ATV3...

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have 8 gigs ram, windows 7 64 Bit, and Intel I-5 Processor, does anybody know of any way to convert the AVI to mp4 1080p faster than an hour?? Cant wait til they jailbreak the ATV3...

You might think that is a fast PC, but you won't significantly improve that time with software...

Brotch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Air Playit App

I too am in the market for an ATV3 and will be getting one in a few days. I have hundreds of movies on my mac (all formats from .avi, .mkv, .mpv etc.) that I will be streaming from my computer to my ATV via a free app called Air Playit. It's a movie player app for your idevice that allows you to stream movies (in almost any format) to that device. From there all you need to do is stream it from your device to your ATV via airplay and your done. I tried it out on a friends ATV2 last week and it works like a charm.

Don't get me wrong, I will be jailbreaking it as soon as it is available and probably use XBMC to do this, but until them this will do just fine.

You'll need to get the Air Playit app on your device as well as the Air Playit server application on you computer (all free). You can also set up a remote gateway so you can access your libraries from any other wifi outside your home.

airplayit.c*m (replace "*" with "o", I can't post websites here yet because it's my first post)

Check it out.

OP
T

Tim348

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow thanks for the post dude!

I was looking at the GOOGLE TV last night and really thinking of returning the ATV3 , but if this software works I should be fine..
only prob with Google TV is that I would loose the AIRPLAY IPAD To TV mirroring abilities..
Thank god we at least have this AIR PLAY IT for now!

f4780y how is the I-7 processor treating you? Mine seems fast well fast enough for me I suppose..
Would you think an I-5 with 8 Gig ram is Good enough for Design software- Adobe Photoshop/Illustrator/Dreamweaver?
Just built this thing and wondering if maybe i shouldve just gone with I-7. . oh well..

Thanks for the feedback guys

dynax

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I tried to AirPlay to my atv3 a significant amount of low frequency effect were removed from my movies. To me it's just unacceptable.

Argyle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm curious why the extra expense for apple tv when the IPad and IPhone withbAIRPLAY convert any video file and play a beautiful picture with an HDMI adapter?

ktjensen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Was using a jailbroken Apple TV 2 for a couple years. But gave up on it recently. No jailbreak for Apple Tv3 was one reason. Another is that the jailbreak on Apple TV 2 seems to be really poor development. Look at the ATVFLASH current version and you see that all the menus structures can no longer be controlled by the OVERFLOW app. As they once were controlled only six months age. To me the esthetics are so important.

Recommend picking up the original APPLE TV 1 at a bargain less than $50 price. And jailbreak that to install XBMC and NITO TV and various other apps like OVERFLOW. Also some were able to get this old device to run a browser like Firefox with a flash player. Though it was difficult to do that. You can jailbreak without purchasing ATVFLASH. So $50 is all you spend if you need to not spend the cash.

Myself I have switched to HTPC platform with WMC7. Running XBMC and a launcher app with a WMC remote control, and Bluetooth mouse. Attached that to my television and never looking back.

bile

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
greenpois0n.com
Was using a jailbroken Apple TV 2 for a couple years. But gave up on it recently. No jailbreak for Apple Tv3 was one reason. Another is that the jailbreak on Apple TV 2 seems to be really poor development. Look at the ATVFLASH current version and you see that all the menus structures can no longer be controlled by the OVERFLOW app. As they once were controlled only six months age. To me the esthetics are so important.

Recommend picking up the original APPLE TV 1 at a bargain less than $50 price. And jailbreak that to install XBMC and NITO TV and various other apps like OVERFLOW. Also some were able to get this old device to run a browser like Firefox with a flash player. Though it was difficult to do that. You can jailbreak without purchasing ATVFLASH. So $50 is all you spend if you need to not spend the cash.

Myself I have switched to HTPC platform with WMC7. Running XBMC and a launcher app with a WMC remote control, and Bluetooth mouse. Attached that to my television and never looking back.

so you gave up because overflow doesnt work on 5.1? think about that logically for a second. how would overflow even work? the navigation style in 5.1+ makes it 100% impossible for overflow to even work the way it did before. poor development? just.... wow. sorry my development is so terrible, i guess i should throw in the towel and stop working on AppleTV stuff. :rolleyes:

Most reactions

Latest posts