What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this a coincidence?

Quicksilver71

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Have an original iPad which I bought last February, so just over a year old. As soon as the announcement about the iPad 3 came out, my iPad started going wrong. It crashes (restarts itself) at random about once a day, and loads of my apps are crashing too. It seems strange that this should happen as soon as the new model is announced, and only a couple of weeks since it came out of warranty....

Up till now it has never given me a moments problem.

It is not jail broken but it has been in the past, if that is relevant.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think it's trying to tell you to get an iPad3! :D

Honestly, though, I have no idea. I'm assuming you've tried the two "standard" attempts at fixing - restart and reset?

But, you may just be faced with the "problem" that the iPad1 has 1/2 the RAM as the iPad2. So, it'll crash where the iPad2 won't. And, developers are creating more and more apps that require more RAM. So, all I can suggest it to keep closing out the app in the multitask bar (cause I really don't care what "they" say - cleaning out the apps, for me, appears to free up RAM and makes my iPad1 less prone to crashes).

Sorry to not be of better assistance.

Marilyn

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm certain it's nothing to do with it's previous jailbroken status. The jailbreak does not withstand a restore back to a stock device.

However, if it becoming significantly unstable (and a regular unplanned restart once a day certainly sounds unstable to me), I would recommend you try a clean fresh start on IOS 5.0.1. Something may have become corrupted on your file system (it does happen on iPads, just like any computer), and starting afresh is a good way to make sure it is not a hardware fault. Just make sure any important data you have (contacts etc.) are suitably safe somewhere before you try it out...

OP
Q

Quicksilver71

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks a lot. Yes I have restarted it, not sure what resetting means.

All my data is backed up to iCloud so I could restore in iTunes. If it keeps doing it I might do that.

I am considering the iPad 3, egged on by my 11 year old who wants the old one for himself :)

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks a lot. Yes I have restarted it, not sure what resetting means.

All my data is backed up to iCloud so I could restore in iTunes. If it keeps doing it I might do that.

I am considering the iPad 3, egged on by my 11 year old who wants the old one for himself :)

Which gives you the perfect excuse to be the good parent. Wish I'd thought of that. My ankle snapper will have to make do with his iPod touch.

ChristianaR

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Some App developers will also be upgrading their Apps with the upcoming 3 release, so may not be focusing on ensuring compatibility with 1. IMHO.

eves_2072

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have u got the latest OS update for it, like cos apple are constantly updating software to have a much more efficient way for the user to use their device. So maybe if it's not running with the latest upgrade then it won't cope too well with trying to keep up. Another thing could be you got a virus dude, like from an email ya opened or skeemy website etc...if so ya gotta wipe ya device clean along with the virus, just make sure ya save all ur apps, songs etc to iTunes on ur computer. Good luck buddy!! Hope this helped a bit ay!! =)

. . . €v€!

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have u got the latest OS update for it, like cos apple are constantly updating software to have a much more efficient way for the user to use their device. So maybe if it's not running with the latest upgrade then it won't cope too well with trying to keep up. Another thing could be you got a virus dude, like from an email ya opened or skeemy website etc...if so ya gotta wipe ya device clean along with the virus, just make sure ya save all ur apps, songs etc to iTunes on ur computer. Good luck buddy!! Hope this helped a bit ay!! =)

. . . €v€!

Apple devices are not susceptible to viruses from email... There are no known viruses for the iPad in the wild.

OP
Q

Quicksilver71

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Yes I am on the latest operating system, and no I am not actually going to let my 11 year old have an iPad, he would never be off it! No homework would ever be done again...and no doubt I would be nagged to,death till I got one for his little sister too.

And to the person who called me dude, I am actually female :)

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Yes I am on the latest operating system, and no I am not actually going to let my 11 year old have an iPad, he would never be off it! No homework would ever be done again...and no doubt I would be nagged to,death till I got one for his little sister too.

And to the person who called me dude, I am actually female :)

OK. Here's how this one works. You give the iPad to the little sister, with the promise that he gets your iPad 3 when the iPad 4 comes out, IF he has done all of his homework in the meantime.

Now you just future-proofed yourself for two generations, as well as guaranteeing that the homework gets done.

Life is just getting better.

Czevski

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Resetting - hold the home button and the sleep button until the apple appears. It may take 10+ seconds or so. This is like restarting a computer.

Most reactions

Latest posts