What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

That loud crashing sound ....

drjuliebug

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a 4-year-old iPad 2 that worked fine for me until a couple of months ago. It'll be okay for a few hours, and then it will suddenly crash and go dark. I can usually wake it up by randomly pressing buttons, etc., but it still acts very strangely until rebooted. More details:

* It seems to me that it tends to crash when I physically move it (e.g. it jiggles while I'm holding it). Hard to tell, though, because that's the way I use my iPad.

* The crashes are often accompanied by clicking noises, and sometimes by the camera shutter sound. They sometimes repeat, with the screen saver flashing on with one click and off with the next.

* It started around February while I was still running iOS 7, but an iOS 8.3 update has failed to fix it.

* Rebooting solves the problem only temporarily. Same with restoring from backup.

* I originally suspected that one particular game app (Best Fiends) was a big trigger for crashes, but that doesn't seem to be true.

I suspect that what we've got here is some dying hardware, but just wondered if anyone else has ever experienced this kind of thing. I'd hoped to put off replacing it until the next product cycle, but now I doubt it'll hold up that long. Any suggestions?

Most reactions

Latest posts