What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Determining cause of crash

jpanettiere

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello, I'm developing an iPad app in Objective-C++. The app works fine under the Xcode debugger - never crashes - but when I run it by itself, without the debugger, it crashes about 9 out of 10 times. If I try launching the app, and then connect to the process with the Xcode debugger, it doesn't crash.

With log messages, I've been able to determine that the crash happens soon after a call to CFStreamCreatePairWithSocketToHost. Not opening the output stream after the call to this function almost prevents the crash, but not entirely.

Is there some way I can determine the cause of the crash without requiring the use of the debugger? Is there some kind of core dump or something I can load into the debugger after the crash has happened?

Thank you.

Rusdev

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Whenever an app crashes it leaves a crash log which you can get via XCode organizer. Log will contain a stack trace (once symbolicated).

If I had to guess, you are trying to open a network connection on the main thread. This will work on the debugger since the watchdog is disabled, but when you start up the app yourself it will get killed by the watchdog for freezing the UI.

Could be something else, but that's where I would start.

Most reactions

Latest posts