What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is the iPad too difficult to learn for a 62 year old?

CRVetrano

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would like to purchase one for my father on Father's day... but I fear he may be too old to jive with the new technology! Any suggestions?

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm 51 and I have no intention of hanging my keyboard up. He will love it.

Sent from my iPad 4 HD mini

HappyPelican

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No way my friend! My Mom is 71 and my Dad is 68 and they both love their iPads! I did show them a few tricks but after a week or so, they were like iPad pros!

And....What a wonderful gift for your father:)

ExCalif

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello Kitty Magical Books said:
I would like to purchase one for my father on Father's day... but I fear he may be too old to jive with the new technology! Any suggestions?

The iPad is very simple to use. If the point is to stay in touch you will be very happy.

Email, facetime, skype all easy to use.

If used, Facebook will need some serious coaching, particulalry Privacy settings. Facebook is pretty evil.

The hard part will be finding and adding contacts to the various connectivity tools.

The hardest part will be figuring out wireless settings, especially using hot spots and so on. If they don't have hime wifi someone will likely need to set them up.

Understanding the app store and iTunes may need a little coaching as well.

Finally, if not net savvy they will need the same coaching and lectures about scams, phishing and security that any teen needs to hear.

My brothers 4 yo picked up the ipad and started playing games inlike 5 nano seconds.

dchristo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey, I'm 62, and I love my new iPad. I'm making my own magazines with Instapaper, reading RSSs like crazy, listening to podcasts, playing Angry Birds, and I actually put on a new screen protector yesterday without a single bubble. I also just upgraded my whole home network with a new ASUS N900 router, Epson AirPrint inkjet, and a Slingbox. So don't sell us geezers short. I can lick any of you young whippersnappers with one hand tied behind my back (provided my herniated disc is behaving.)

cwinter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a two year old that has picked up on using touch screen devices impressively quickly. She'll likely have a much harder time learning to use a mouse and keyboard, since it is much less intuitive than a touch screen device.

If you dad uses the Internet, Email, and likes technology I think he'll have no issues learning.

So I think the short answer is, if you think he'd enjoy a tablet in general, he'll have no issues learning how to use the iPad!

Husq250

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My dad just got an iPad 2 and loves it. He couldn't wait to kick his PC to the curb! He's 63.

Ronaldo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
CRVetrano said:

Not too old.
Now savvy is your pop with computers? If he is comfy with them it should be relatively ez.
Are you you near him to train him with the basics?

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Learning depends on the person. If said person doesn't wish to learn, said person won't. Anyone interested in learning, will. iPad is easy.

Mordor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My dad is 68 and a bit technophobic, nevertheless he got the first gen iPad as soon as it was released and 1 yr later he said to my mom to go buy herself an iPad2 (for she wouldn't let his iPad alone!) She's 62.
They use those things daily for everything !... It's the perfect gadget for them. Now their iMac stays idle most of the time and mom even dumped her Vaio netbook for lack of use...

Sandiman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Am I the oldest here I wonder. I will be 75 next week :eek: but I wouldn't be without my iPad 3 or my iPhone 4s.:D

Most reactions

Latest posts