What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Apple Thinking of Making a Cheaper iPad 3?

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
iPad_2_side.JPG
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]There’s been a lot of talk recently that Apple might be considering releasing a lower cost version of the iPhone in order to compete with the ‘cheaper’ end of the market, and now a report in Digitimes today via MacRumors talks about how it has heard from sources in Apple’s supply chain that Apple has chosen several Taiwan-based companies to supply iPad 3 parts. The companies in question (Novatek Microelectronics, Richtek Technology, Capella Microsystems and Integrated Memory Logic), will probably only be familiar names to industry experts, but as MacRumors points out, what is more significant about this story is the fact that Digitimes’ sources say that Apple has turned to sourcing integrated circuits from these Taiwan-based companies because it is “adjusting the cost structure for iPad tablets in order to compete with an array of tablet PCs to be launched by rivals in the second half of 2011.â€[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]As MacRumors notes, cheaper parts does not necessarily mean cheaper iPads, it could just mean that Apple wants to offer you more for your money, and can do this by saving money on parts, but there’s also the possibility that they are looking to undercut their rivals on price when it comes to launching the next iPad, and there is certainly a suggestion of this in the quote from Digitimes.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Source: Apple Lining Up iPad 3 Suppliers in Face of Increasing Number of Competitors - Mac Rumors[/FONT]

martincrow

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It will be a great news if Apple launches cheap ipad phones, as i want to buy one for my friend at his birthday. And it will be a great surprise for him.

mark.smith2188

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't think they should move in that direction. Cheap is not what Apple should go after. I dont want to see iPad in everyone's hand.

benkj14

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't think they should move in that direction. Cheap is not what Apple should go after. I dont want to see iPad in everyone's hand.

The apple brand to mean means quality, i would rather pay there higher prices noing the build will be excellent, I would hate to see them release cheaper versions of there products, this would change apples image for the worse.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just because apple may make a smaller iPhone or a less expensive ipad does not mean it will be cheap in quality Apple always has made quality products so nothing will change. Many manufacture make similar products with just less features.

Confucious

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
blog.iphone-dev.org
Getting the best value on parts just means they will be able to offer a better product at the same, or maybe slightly cheaper, price. I don't foresee any reduction in quality or major price drop - but look at what they have done with the Mac Book Air....

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm convinced that eventually there will be an iPad a the price a transistor radio. :)

bgjones42

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Although I really like my IP2 the big Apple really must find a way to allow clash or they will fall behind quickly. With wireless print , hard drive now etc. people are goi g to more and more want to replace their other computers.

Most reactions

Latest posts