What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Apple Thinking of Making a Cheaper iPad 3?

bikermolly

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Perhaps a 7 inch version would do , larger than the phone but smaller than the iPad . Maybe called iPad Mini

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mark.smith2188 said:
I don't think they should move in that direction. Cheap is not what Apple should go after. I dont want to see iPad in everyone's hand.

I would love to see an iPad in everyone's hand, especially for kids at school so a paired down version would be fantastic and as Col says, Apple don't do cheap and tacky.

Of course by the time we get to iPad 4, 5, 6, etc many of our earlier models will have been passed down.

The Archangel

jrcrewe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Given the level of convenience and incredible versatility they offer, if made affordable, all pads and particularly iPads, will quickly become as common as wallets.

The continuing expansion of free public Wi-Fi won't hurt sales either.

JC

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Perhaps a 7 inch version would do , larger than the phone but smaller than the iPad . Maybe called iPad Mini

I think Apple may be seriously underestimating the demand for a machine of around this size. Though I don't know if they have to go as far as 7," something a bit larger than the iTouch (5"?) might be a little less expensive than the iPad and please an awful lot of people. Despite of what Steve said just a little while back, I expect a high quality machine of this type from Apple in the not so distant future.

singlestick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can understand a lower cost iPhone. But I can't see Apple releasing a smaller or lower cost tablet to compete with other companies. So far, the competition has been underwhelming. A review of smaller Android tablets in the current issue of Consumer Reports notes that none of them run the latest version of the Android operating system; the most current version runs best on ten inch tablets. This puts the smaller Android form factor at a competitive disadvantage.

I am also not sure that a seven inch tablet would be great for school kids. Wouldn't you want a size that accommodates readable textbooks?

IanM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
bikermolly said:
It would be good to have a smaller version of the iPad

There are already small iPads. One is called an iPhone and one is called an iPod Touch.

Why on earth would they make a smaller iPad?

Personally I'd like an iPad that I can write properly on with a stylus - like I could with my Newtons. The HWR in my 2100 was better than anything available for iPad. And it learnt your style of writing and adjusted to suit.

Please don't tell me about the styluses available. They are nothing like a pen, and unless you normally write with crayons are bloody useless.

Sometimes you just need to jot something down.

/rant

;-)

Ian

Sent from my iPad using iPF

pEAcEmAKeR

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That'd be a dream. And stay a dream. Sorry, but I think if the iPad gets an "A6" or Retina display, it will most likely be $600 at cheapest. But we'll just wait and see.

jgsfcaus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
bikermolly said:

With wings...

oriondlc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Please do not make the iPad smaller. Keep it around the same size and beef it up while keeping the same price. 100 bucks less for each step would be nice and I think they can do that. Making a school version for kids at a less price would be fantastic. For me I would love to see everyone carrying around an iPad. For now all we can do is sit, wish & type about our wishes. Good day everyone.

bookdoc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mark.smith2188 said:
I don't think they should move in that direction. Cheap is not what Apple should go after. I dont want to see iPad in everyone's hand.

I'd like to see one in everybody's hand but not at the expense of lower quality. Let's hope this doesn't happen.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

betty.mason1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:
I would love to see an iPad in everyone's hand, especially for kids at school so a paired down version would be fantastic and as Col says, Apple don't do cheap and tacky.

Of course by the time we get to iPad 4, 5, 6, etc many of our earlier models will have been passed down.

The Archangel

Yes I have a 'passed down'. IPad it was not exactly cheap as it was " bought in error" then sold to me but it is just as thrilling to me an Apple nobee. Apple store in Brent cross, tell me that they do not give workshops for iPad1 as it is now overtaken by iPad2, why not? It is not 10 years since it developed and there must be a lot of folk with "passed down" models who need help.
Never mind we still have the iForum! I just wish I could find out how to start a thread!

Most reactions