iPhone Question

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by Tuttle, Mar 23, 2016.

1. Tuttle

Tuttle
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    I have an iPhone question that is probably a simple one---but I don't want to have to register in the iPhone forum just to get one question abswered.

I have an iPhone 4S running iOS 9.2.1. In a discussion with my wife about our level of service I tried to check it via the carrier status icon on the status bar and it wasn't there! Did these things just vanish as I nodded off during an OS upgrade? How can I get it back or otherwise check our service level? And what has made it vanish?

2. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    Hm. You mean the carrier signal strength?

This used to be a kind of stair step icon, with filed in bars to indicate strength. Now it should be a series of five circles, with filled in circles to indicate strength. You have neither?

The signal strength is always for the carrier. Wi-Fi signal stregth (when shown) fills in the bars of the fan-shaped icon to the right of the carrier's name.

image.png

There is a trick/hack that can be used to change the dots to a numeric readout. If you've doen this then tapping the dots/number will switch between the two modes.

3. Tuttle

Tuttle
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Thanks Twerpoet, but I actually meant the icon saying 3G, 4G, LTE. etc. My bad. I should have been more explicit. BTW, I see from your screenshot that yours is missing. too! But your notation seems to imply that the wifi icon changes to the others. Must I turn off my wifi to see what type of cell service I have?

4. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    3G, 4G and LTE are mobile data. If you're connected to Wi-Fi, you have the Wi-Fi sign, and no need for 3G, ...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    Yes, if you see the wi-fi icon you must turn off wi-fi or disconnect from the network to see the cellular service icon.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Tuttle

Tuttle
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Okay, got it. Thanks so much guys-----.

7. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    No problem.

8. KatiaEm

KatiaEm
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Hi Guys! Any iPone games? I saw in Apple Store some free games like finger hero. It is (at least was) featured there. Did you try this game?

9. Mickey330

Mickey330
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi, KatiaEm.

I think your best bet for finding games for the iPhone would be to visit our iPhone-specific forum: Apple iPhone Forum

There, you will find lots of topics on the iPhone, to include games, free or otherwise.

Marilyn

#9 Mickey330, Apr 7, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2016