What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPhone IPad question

Janset

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I all.

A simple question by a simple sole. :)

Is there any output difference between the wall chargers for the iPhone and the iPad?

In other words, can I use either one to charge either of the 2 devices.

Regards

Sent from my iPad using iPF

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I all.

Is there any output difference between the wall chargers for the iPhone and the iPad?

Regards

The iPhone/iPod charger is 5 volts at 1 amp,the iPad charger is 5 volts at 2 amps. Either charger can be safely used to charge any of the devices,although charging an iPad with an iPhone charger will take at least twice as long as normal. I use an iPad charger to charge my iPads and iPhone.
Here's a forum thread on the subject.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-accessories/2840-accidentally-plugging-ipod-into-ipad-charger.html

OP
Janset

Janset

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi there.

Thanks for that info.

Just on the side and off topic a bit, how do I post on the iPhone Forum as when I tap the icon in the top right corner, the "submit new thread" , or whatever the wording, does not appear? all the other entries are there except the one that I want.

I do log in and I am welcomed, but that's it!

Can you help here also please?

Regards

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry,I'm not a member of the iPhone forums and can't help you there. Many of the other members here are also members of the iPhone forums and should be able to help you.

WestleyTwain

iPF Noob
Reaction score
scifan57 said:
The iPhone/iPod charger is 5 volts at 1 amp,the iPad charger is 5 volts at 2 amps. Either charger can be safely used to charge any of the devices,although charging an iPad with an iPhone charger will take at least twice as long as normal. I use an iPad charger to charge my iPads and iPhone.
Here's a forum thread on the subject.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-accessories/2840-accidentally-plugging-ipod-into-ipad-charger.html

Whoa, hold up. So the thing that says "not charging" when I plug my iPad into an iPod charger is lying? (not trying to prove you wrong like that read.)

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Whoa, hold up. So the thing that says "not charging" when I plug my iPad into an iPod charger is lying? (not trying to prove you wrong like that read.)

Yes. It's trickle charging (slow charge), but will charge your iPad.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cool! Same deal with car chargers for iPhone?

Same deal.

By the way: Keep an eye on the battery percentage if you're using the iPad while charging if you're using an iPhone or iPod charger. If your battery use is intensive, depending on variables, there's a chance you might be draining battery faster than the charger is working to juice up the battery. Variables include apps being used, brightness and location settings, and possible weak 3G/LTE/myfi/wifi signals.

If you're not using the iPad while using an iPhone or iPod charger, you'll charge OK, if slowly.

Last edited:

WestleyTwain

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
Please check the additional note on my answer above.

Ah, makes sense. Thanks to all, you people are more nice and helpful than I could have imagined!

WestleyTwain

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Janset said:
Thanks guys for the input.

Regards

You're welcome!

"You take the blue pill - the story ends... You take the red pill - you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes" -Morpheus

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Janset said:
Hi there.

Thanks for that info.

Just on the side and off topic a bit, how do I post on the iPhone Forum as when I tap the icon in the top right corner, the "submit new thread" , or whatever the wording, does not appear? all the other entries are there except the one that I want.

I do log in and I am welcomed, but that's it!

Can you help here also please?

Regards

Here is a link to our sister Forum, iPhones Forum

http://www.iphoneforums.net/

iPad 2 3G 64gb

WestleyTwain

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Janset said:
I all.

Regards

Hey, I hope you don't hate me for this or anything, I just wanna help.

A sole is the bottom of a shoe. I think you got autocorrected from soul or made a careless error. It happens to all of us.
Again, I hope you don't think any less of me.

"You take the blue pill - the story ends... You take the red pill - you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes" -Morpheus

Most reactions