Internet connectivity question for new IPad

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by floorlizard, Jul 27, 2010.

1. floorlizard

floorlizard iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I just received my 16GB 3G IPad from Apple today. I have no intent on paying for the 3G service through AT&T. I have read that it is possible to tether a blackberry to the IPhone via Bluetooth to connect to another carrier.
    I have a Blackberry Curve 8330 that I am currently connecting to my laptop via USB to access Verizon's network for only $15/month for 5GB. Here are my questions:

1-Being that my phone is already set-up to be used as a teathered modem, if I pair my phone with the IPad via Bluetooth, will I be able to connect to the internet?

2-If so... Is there any reason that I should keep the 16GB 3G IPad or should I exchange it for a 64GB Wifi?

Thanks in advance for the help!
  2. BrennB

BrennB iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Blackberry especially the older curves, do not make hotspots. iPad does not "tether" as we know it with laptops. Ipads only use hotspot.

To use your BB for internet access on ad you'd need to tether your laptop and then make your laptop a hotspot. Pretty much defeats the purpose though :(

Jailbreaking may give you alternative... And I'm thinking some future model/BBOS will finally make some hotspot.
  3. floorlizard

floorlizard iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for your quick supply...

what are the drawbacks of jailbreaking???
    Also, do you know what the CHEAPEST verizon phone is that would create a hotspot?
  4. Xandor

Xandor iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The ONLY verizon phone I am aware of that acts as a hotspot is the droid x.
  5. CaptKirk

CaptKirk iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Yup, I've heard the Droid works as a WiFi hot spot but I haven't been abblemto get mine to work WiFi with Verizon. I did get it to work via bluetooth, which sucks, the iPad won't acknowledge Droid bluetooth
  6. floorlizard

floorlizard iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    According to the Verizon website, there are 3 phones that create a Wi-Fi Hotspot:

-Palm Pixi Plus
    -Palm Pre Plus
    -Motorola Droid X

Unfortunately, all of these phones are out of my price-range...

Here's to hoping that somebody comes up with a new solution :eek:
  7. AVService

AVService iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    OK I will bite,Why did you get a 3G iPad if you will not use ATT Data?
  8. AVService

AVService iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Also I think you should be able to set up Internet Connection Sharing from your Laptop already connected through the Blackberry.
    What kind of laptop is it?
  9. floorlizard

floorlizard iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I won the IPad in a sales contest at work. I was given the choice of a 32GB Wi-Fi or a 16GB 3G. I wasn't thinking straight and, for some reason, thought that I would need the 3G version to connect to Verizon's service through my BlackBerry. A few days after telling my boss which one I wanted, I realized that, since my phone would act as a "modem" on the network, I didn't need the 3G unit and decided to upgrade the memory capacity by swapping it at a local Apple Store for a Wi-Fi unit.

I have researched making my laptop a hotspot while connected through my phone. It does seem possible to do so. However, I don't know what the range of the hotspot might be. The intent of my IPod is to use it while IN my accounts... instead of writing the order in the store, getting in the car, connecting the phone to the laptop, connecting to the network, pulling up the site, logging in, and entering the order.

Can you, or anybody else, elighten me on what 'jailbreaks' might be out there that would allow me to do what I need, if any.

Thanks for everyones help
  10. muyoso

muyoso iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    A Touch Pro 2 on verizon will do wifi hotspot. Any windows mobile phone pretty much will, as well as almost all android phones.
  11. BrennB

BrennB iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    On the droid I think you need to root it for the hotspot. Not sure.

I was going to suggest touch pro 2 also
  12. CaptKirk

CaptKirk iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Where do you download the root
  13. Xandor

Xandor iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Recommend u go to droidforums.net. They have a section with information on how to root your phone, install a new rom and add wifi tethering.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  14. AVService

AVService iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    OK
    Still do not know what kind of laptop we are talking about here?

Also it seems to me you are making this harder than it needed to be?
    I just got another iPad with 3G just to do what you are asking about.

I already have a Verizon MiFi portable hotspot that will fit in a pants pocket but it is so much simpler to have it built-in the iPad that it is silly not to use it.

For the $15.00 monthly data charge how can you not try this?

This is exactly what these are made to do.

Ed
  15. floorlizard

floorlizard iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My laptop is a Compaq. I don't recall the model but it is a cheap one. Also, I inadvertently misquoted my data plan... It is $30/month for 5GB. However, that price is ONLY good if using my Blackberry as a tethered modem AND I am month-to-month (no contract). Not to mention that I am also required to pay another $30/month for the Blackberry access. If I were to purchase the Mifi thing, I would have to purchase the unit, sign a 2-year agreement, pay $60/month for 5GB, and STILL maintain my data plan for my Blackberry. I am not intending to 'make things harder than they have to be'... I just don't see a logical solution. I am to the point of selling the damned thing on EBay because I HATE AT&T and don't understand how they think $25/month for 2-freaking-GB is sufficient. I also don't understand why Apple agreed to it... but that is another conversation for another thread.

Thanks all!!
  16. AVService

AVService iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0

I also do not like ATT but like Microsoft they seem to be a fact of life for us.

I was not suggesting you get the MiFi I was saying just use the ATT Data and be happy.

If you are simply doing order entry I think it may surprise you just how little data that will be?

It kills me to pay them too but it just another tool to get the job done for me.

Also I wanted to know the laptop type just to know if it is Win or Mac.

Ed
  17. floorlizard

floorlizard iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I mentioned the MiFi, more or less, because I THOUGHT that would be the best answer. However, I quickly realized that it wasn't....
    The only concern I have with the 2GB from AT&T is that I am using more than 2GB on my current plan and am ONLY using it for order entry and business related things.

I was hoping to swap the 16GB 3G for a 64GB WiFi for only slightly more money. However, it looks like my only option is to upgrade the 3G from 16GB to 32 for $100 or to 64 for $200 and use AT&T until another, more practical option, come along...
  18. AVService

AVService iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    They certainly hit it out of the park with the Data Bait & Switch they sold,no question about it.
    I too feel it is a complete SCAM and a not happy about it but I also realize they knew people would realize the usefulness of the Data and just suck it up.

It does Suck.
  19. BrennB

BrennB iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    I hang out here: (I am eenieMINI there, moderator for BlackBerry forum) PPCGeeks handles all sorts of smart phones, mostly CDMA radios but there is support for GSM (sim card phones) also.
    Referal for PPCGEEKS from "eenieMINI"

Check the Android section for your needs. :)
  20. muyoso

muyoso iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    So wait, why aren't you just getting the Evo 4g on Sprint with unlimited data, rooting it, and then using it for a wifi hotspot while having an AMAZING phone?

It will cost you 70 dollars a month to do that, and if you work for pretty much any big name corporation, you can get a corporate discount which knocks anywhere from 15-25% off of the 70 a month.

Also, Sprint data is unlimited. People regularly use 50-80 GB a month and never have a problem.