What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Internet connectivity question for new IPad

floorlizard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just received my 16GB 3G IPad from Apple today. I have no intent on paying for the 3G service through AT&T. I have read that it is possible to tether a blackberry to the IPhone via Bluetooth to connect to another carrier.
I have a Blackberry Curve 8330 that I am currently connecting to my laptop via USB to access Verizon's network for only $15/month for 5GB. Here are my questions:

1-Being that my phone is already set-up to be used as a teathered modem, if I pair my phone with the IPad via Bluetooth, will I be able to connect to the internet?

2-If so... Is there any reason that I should keep the 16GB 3G IPad or should I exchange it for a 64GB Wifi?

Thanks in advance for the help!

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Blackberry especially the older curves, do not make hotspots. iPad does not "tether" as we know it with laptops. Ipads only use hotspot.

To use your BB for internet access on ad you'd need to tether your laptop and then make your laptop a hotspot. Pretty much defeats the purpose though :(

Jailbreaking may give you alternative... And I'm thinking some future model/BBOS will finally make some hotspot.

OP
F

floorlizard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your quick supply...

what are the drawbacks of jailbreaking???
Also, do you know what the CHEAPEST verizon phone is that would create a hotspot?

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The ONLY verizon phone I am aware of that acts as a hotspot is the droid x.

Yup, I've heard the Droid works as a WiFi hot spot but I haven't been abblemto get mine to work WiFi with Verizon. I did get it to work via bluetooth, which sucks, the iPad won't acknowledge Droid bluetooth

OP
F

floorlizard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
According to the Verizon website, there are 3 phones that create a Wi-Fi Hotspot:

-Palm Pixi Plus
-Palm Pre Plus
-Motorola Droid X

Unfortunately, all of these phones are out of my price-range...

Here's to hoping that somebody comes up with a new solution :eek:

AVService

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK I will bite,Why did you get a 3G iPad if you will not use ATT Data?

AVService

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also I think you should be able to set up Internet Connection Sharing from your Laptop already connected through the Blackberry.
What kind of laptop is it?

OP
F

floorlizard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I won the IPad in a sales contest at work. I was given the choice of a 32GB Wi-Fi or a 16GB 3G. I wasn't thinking straight and, for some reason, thought that I would need the 3G version to connect to Verizon's service through my BlackBerry. A few days after telling my boss which one I wanted, I realized that, since my phone would act as a "modem" on the network, I didn't need the 3G unit and decided to upgrade the memory capacity by swapping it at a local Apple Store for a Wi-Fi unit.

I have researched making my laptop a hotspot while connected through my phone. It does seem possible to do so. However, I don't know what the range of the hotspot might be. The intent of my IPod is to use it while IN my accounts... instead of writing the order in the store, getting in the car, connecting the phone to the laptop, connecting to the network, pulling up the site, logging in, and entering the order.

Can you, or anybody else, elighten me on what 'jailbreaks' might be out there that would allow me to do what I need, if any.

Thanks for everyones help

muyoso

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A Touch Pro 2 on verizon will do wifi hotspot. Any windows mobile phone pretty much will, as well as almost all android phones.

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
On the droid I think you need to root it for the hotspot. Not sure.

I was going to suggest touch pro 2 also

AVService

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK
Still do not know what kind of laptop we are talking about here?

Also it seems to me you are making this harder than it needed to be?
I just got another iPad with 3G just to do what you are asking about.

I already have a Verizon MiFi portable hotspot that will fit in a pants pocket but it is so much simpler to have it built-in the iPad that it is silly not to use it.

For the $15.00 monthly data charge how can you not try this?

This is exactly what these are made to do.

Ed

OP
F

floorlizard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My laptop is a Compaq. I don't recall the model but it is a cheap one. Also, I inadvertently misquoted my data plan... It is $30/month for 5GB. However, that price is ONLY good if using my Blackberry as a tethered modem AND I am month-to-month (no contract). Not to mention that I am also required to pay another $30/month for the Blackberry access. If I were to purchase the Mifi thing, I would have to purchase the unit, sign a 2-year agreement, pay $60/month for 5GB, and STILL maintain my data plan for my Blackberry. I am not intending to 'make things harder than they have to be'... I just don't see a logical solution. I am to the point of selling the damned thing on EBay because I HATE AT&T and don't understand how they think $25/month for 2-freaking-GB is sufficient. I also don't understand why Apple agreed to it... but that is another conversation for another thread.

Thanks all!!

Most reactions