1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

iPhone as a Hotspot?

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by Tuttle, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Tuttle

Tuttle iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    I think this is probably discussed at length somewhere on this forum, but I can't seem to find the "intro level" discussion!

I am just buying my first iPhone, though I have had my wifi only iPad 1 since day 1. My question: how do I set up the phone and iPad so that I can connect to the internet from my iPad using the iPhone as a personal hotspot?

Does it depend on the carrier, in my case AT&T?

If you can answer my question or point me to the appropriate threads, I would appreciate it greatly‘

Thans.
  2. f4780y

f4780y Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +634 / 0
    Yes, you basically get the carrier to include their tethering option on your contract (assuming you don't have it). Once activated you will see a new option in the iPhone Settings App called "Personal Hotspot". When turned ON, you are then able to connect the iPad to your phone and share it's internet connection via WiFi or Bluetooth (bluetooth tends to use less battery). You can also connect other devices to your phone, e.g. a Laptop, and this can additionally be done via the USB cable (as well as wifi or bluetooth).

You don't need anything extra on the iPad.
  3. Tuttle

Tuttle iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    Thanks for the response. Just the info I needed!