What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ipad2 vs iphone4

Ro_DL

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i would just like to ask,because i've just bought my ipad2 last oct. and now i want to ask is there any advantage ipad2 againts iphone4? or all the features ipad2 have is all so available in iphone4? because i want to know if i made the rigth decission in buying ipad2 over iphone4. thanks.....

Kathryn4812

iPF Noob
Reaction score
P.S. I know I would hate the iPhone 4 because of the limitations on texting. Other disadvantages too according to friends. Basic phone plus iPad = Bliss!

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Apart from the fact that an iPad is not a telephone, the screen is probably the next biggest difference. The iPhone has a 3.5 inch screen vs the 9.7 inch screen of the iPad. This makes browsing the web, reading books and viewing pictures and movies much better. Also, it's a lot easier entering text on the iPad with its larger keypad.

IGonz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Apart from the fact that an iPad is not a telephone, the screen is probably the next biggest difference. The iPhone has a 3.5 inch screen vs the 9.7 inch screen of the iPad. This makes browsing the web, reading books and viewing pictures and movies much better. Also, it's a lot easier entering text on the iPad with its larger keypad.

The Ipad can be a phone.
Last summer I had to use Skype on my Ipad for a couple of weeks. Had to forward all of my call through my ipad.
Works very well on 3G and wifi.
I am sitting in the Hong Kong airport right now talking to my mom in Virginia on my ipad while typing this.
Costing about 3 cents a minute through my VPN in the U.S.

manic9803

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kathryn4812 said:
P.S. I know I would hate the iPhone 4 because of the limitations on texting. Other disadvantages too according to friends. Basic phone plus iPad = Bliss!

What limitations do you speak of? My iPhone 4 can do everything the iPad is capable of.

ipadder474

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Would you please explain the limitations on texting with the iPhone4 you are posting about. I seem to have no texting problems with my iPhone4 that I have found.

Dungeondan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not sure what the texting limitations ipadder474 and Kathryn4812 are expirancing but I have no problems at all. To pick the right device decide what you want to do with the device and how portable you need it. I have both and I love them both but I can tell you that some of what I do is easier on the iPad 2 but its not always easy for me to take it with me where as the iPhone is. My devices are work horses, I use them to run my business while I'm out and about, I use them to design websites, apps, and I like to play with the photography features. I also hold multi-client meetings via facetime and Skype so for me both devices were the answer. As long as you have one you made the right choice.

ipadder474

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm not sure what the texting limitations ipadder474 and Kathryn4812 are expirancing but I have no problems at all. To pick the right device decide what you want to do with the device and how portable you need it. I have both and I love them both but I can tell you that some of what I do is easier on the iPad 2 but its not always easy for me to take it with me where as the iPhone is. My devices are work horses, I use them to run my business while I'm out and about, I use them to design websites, apps, and I like to play with the photography features. I also hold multi-client meetings via facetime and Skype so for me both devices were the answer. As long as you have one you made the right choice.

After over 15 years of being on Sprint with the same small phone, Sprint informed me I was going to be upgraded Nov. 31 and my phone would no longer work. I had wanted a new smart phone but did not wish to see my $47 a Month turn in to $90 a Month system charge.
Well I went along bought the iPhone4 for $99 and took on the new plan.
After using the new Apple phone I thought why not get the iPad2 with Wifi the 64Gb around $650 one since I have a router already for my windows computers.

Now happy with both iPhone4 and iPad2 I was thinking I need a smaller tablet to take my pictures and Videos with me when the iPad is some what to big.
Got the Kindal Fire it is a very nice small take every place tablet works with Wifi worth the $199.

Well you know what they say get into the Apple phones and iPads and you find you want the Mac computer, so bought the Mac Pro 13" Intel i7 with 750Mb HD. $1400 cool computer not a windows system but very workable.

So far I am very happy with all my new toys.

For what it's worth downloading the free Micro Video Converter program, will let you put all your movie videos when converted to iPad Mpg4 files on the iPad and a Kindal Fire.

Dungeondan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Say no more....Sprint. That explains the text limitations. Same goes for Verizon. You really went all out with the tech toys, awesome! I've heard good things about the Kindle Fire and while I am a Windows guy I have concidered getting a Mac.

ipadder474

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Say no more....Sprint. That explains the text limitations. Same goes for Verizon. You really went all out with the tech toys, awesome! I've heard good things about the Kindle Fire and while I am a Windows guy I have concidered getting a Mac.

The main reason I bought the Mac Pro notebook was to link my pictures and videos with the iPad2, and using the free program Micro Video Converter to make my video files into iPad Mpg4 files I can put my videos on both iPad and my Kindal Fire.
The Kindal Fire being much smaller then the iPad it can go a lot of places the iPad would be somewhat to big. Also be in a Wifi zone you can do your e-mail search the web using the Kindal Fire. a cool tablet for $199.

Kathryn4812

iPF Noob
Reaction score
manic9803 said:
What limitations do you speak of? My iPhone 4 can do everything the iPad is capable of.

Texting is what I was referring to. I like to eliminate as many vowels as possible. For fun. One of my textual friends bought an iPhone4, but had to buy a cheap Nokia for our conversations. But, that aside, I have other friends who just can't cope with the keyboard, and therefore they can't be bothered texting at all.

S myb u cn ndrstnd y I prfr my Nk phn, tho f u hvn't gt t txtng bg, t dsnt mttr.

Kathryn4812

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kathryn4812 said:
Texting is what I was referring to. I like to eliminate as many vowels as possible. For fun. One of my textual friends bought an iPhone4, but had to buy a cheap Nokia for our conversations. But, that aside, I have other friends who just can't cope with the keyboard, and therefore they can't be bothered texting at all.

S myb u cn ndrstnd y I prfr my Nk phn, tho f u hvn't gt t txtng bg, t dsnt mttr.

But of course my iPad is almost my life's blood! (not really) :)

idave23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kathryn4812 said:

Wy nt jst trn ff auto crrctn nd chck spllng?

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just get both. That way, you can really fly when you want to do things like refer to one email while typing another, carry more music and videos around than will fit on just one device, call one person on the phone and another on Skype &c.

I noticed that the 3GS is free with a three year plan (in Canada, at least). Looks like good value to me, and doesn't limit you too much compared to the 4 or 4S.

Most reactions