What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What no GPS on the Ipad2 WiFi...darn

Argyle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wanted to put this beautiful Ipad2 in my tank bag on my motorcycle. Inside the see through map area. Waterproof..

Lo and behold no GPS on it. Any guru's think of a way to run gps? Still waiting for jail brake

I have a Bluetooth wireless Gps device

I have a jb iphone4 with BTstacker Gps

Any ideas? New to iPad so a lay mans walkthrough would be much appreciated

Thanks all

yvrgal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Actually, the GPS on Maps will work on the Wifi version if the Personal Hotspot is on from your iPhone.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There's third party add-on hardware that will give you GPS functionality.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Bad-Elf-Receiver-iPhone-66-channel/dp/B0035Y7ZJ2/]Amazon.com: Bad Elf GPS Receiver for iPod touch, iPhone, and iPad (66-channel, SBAS/WAAS, 10Hz): Electronics[/ame]

Tim
Scotland

OP
A

Argyle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mywi hasn't worked... I'm still 4.21

kctay

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yeah, there is an add on for the iPad2, it's called "3G" :D

OP
A

Argyle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah no luck on even a tethered jb for the ipad2 so far :(

ajneuman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here is a Bluetooth GPS receiver made for the iPad. I may have to pick one up myself.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/GNS-5870-MFI-Bluetooth-Receiver/dp/B004289ZW0[/ame]

Exspyguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an ipad1 wifi, and to get usable functionality for GPS applications I did the following:
Jailbreak iPad, I have Jbroken the iPad on several firmware revs, up to 4.2.1. And it worked on every rev.

Find the BtStack GPS module from the nav section of cydia

Get a wireless source to data, I use mywi on a 3GS or my i4, for the iPad to tether' it will have to be a wifi tether with BtStack GPS neutralizing the native BT in the iPad while it is active, or use a non data required app like navigon...which works well with iPad. Maps and earth, as well as gps drive all work well.

For the receiver, I just happened to have a belkin BT Gps receiver laying around. I bought it in 2004 for 10 bucks at a flea market because the battery (which was recalled) malfunctioned and was missing. other models work as well. The BtStack description will give some details. If you happen to find a used belkin, this receiver has hackable firmware of many nmea forums, but must be transfered by BT from a windows based machine. If anyone is interested in the pprocedure let me know. Increased sensitivity and instant 3d lock are the results, as well as improved indoor track lock once 3d acquisition has been achieved.

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Your iPad doesn't have to be jail broken for gps to work. If you tether your phone to it, while on the go, it will use gps just the same. Or u could buy external BT to hook up wirelessly to ur wifi iPad. There are diff. Options u can take. It can be done though.

Exspyguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The only thing about native tethering is it breaks the clause for those of us who are grandfathered into unlimited data.

OP
A

Argyle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an ipad1 wifi, and to get usable functionality for GPS applications I did the following:
Jailbreak iPad, I have Jbroken the iPad on several firmware revs, up to 4.2.1. And it worked on every rev.

Find the BtStack GPS module from the nav section of cydia

Get a wireless source to data, I use mywi on a 3GS or my i4, for the iPad to tether' it will have to be a wifi tether with BtStack GPS neutralizing the native BT in the iPad while it is active, or use a non data required app like navigon...which works well with iPad. Maps and earth, as well as gps drive all work well.

For the receiver, I just happened to have a belkin BT Gps receiver laying around. I bought it in 2004 for 10 bucks at a flea market because the battery (which was recalled) malfunctioned and was missing. other models work as well. The BtStack description will give some details. If you happen to find a used belkin, this receiver has hackable firmware of many nmea forums, but must be transfered by BT from a windows based machine. If anyone is interested in the pprocedure let me know. Increased sensitivity and instant 3d lock are the results, as well as improved indoor track lock once 3d acquisition has been achieved.

Where I'm having the problem is 4.3 can't jb on the ipad2 as said above bt stack will work if I could get it on the ipad2. I already have a wireless Gps similar to your Belkin.

Rudinater

iPF Noob
Reaction score
WiFi Ipads do not have GPS . . . . .

There are currently two options for adding a Gps to your IPad with out jail breaking it

1. Bad Elf is a WAAS GPS unit that plugs in to the port at the bottom of the IPAD. That may be a problem depending on how you use the Ipad. It uses the Ipad battery for power so you do not have to change it

2. GNS 5870 - It's about the size of a match box and connects by blue tooth to the Ipad. It is not a WAAS GPA but it works great. You have to remember to change it and it's battery life is shorter then the Ipad.

Both of these units cost about 100.00 and you can find them on Amazon.com

I'm a pilot and I know several fellow pilots that have one or the other unit. In most cases they like the GNS 5870 better due to the fear of damaging the Ipad or Bad Elf due to the way it attaches to the Ipad.

Also with the GNS 5870 you can always place it some place to get a better signal while you hold the Ipad in your lap.

Ipad, Forflight with a GNS 5870 and you made a pilot happy:D

Most reactions

Latest posts