What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad1 On 3.2.2 JB - to 4.3.3 JB Possible?

srusli313

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all, can someone help me please, about a jailbreaking question. I have an iPad 1, which is currently on firmware 3.2.2, jailbroken. I'm wondering if I can upgrade to iOS 5, then downgrade it to 4.3xx so that I can have it jailbroken, untethered. What is the best way to do this? Can someone point me out in the right direction? I've been sifting through this forum, but couldn't find an exact match to my problem. Cheers and Thanks!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, and welcome to the forum! I've moved your question to its own thread - mainly so it's not buried deep in another and you can get more "eyes on" your question.

On to your question: The first and biggest question for you is, do you have SHSH blobs for iOS 4.3.3? If the answer is yes, then you can just install that iOS without having to go to iOS 5 first. If the answer is no, then you will have to upgrade to iOS5 and stay there - but you can do a tethered jail break because you have the iPad1.

To see if you have the blobs, follow the directions in this sticky: http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...-your-ipad-using-tinyumbrella-shsh-blobs.html

The first part of the instructions helps you find out if you have the SHSH blobs for iOS 4.3.3. If you do, then follow the remainder of the directions to install that version onto your iPad (don't forget to get the proper IPSW (the firmware file specific to your iPad) from here: http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/24939-official-apple-ios-firmware-download-links-ipad.html

IF you have the blobs and IF you follow the directions exactly, you should be able to install 4.3.3 and then re-jailbreak your iPad using JailbreakMe 3.0

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Marilyn

OP
S

srusli313

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi - there seems to be a hitch. I don't know if anyone else comes across this too. I can't seem to find the blob file when I pressed the SHIFT key and clicked RESTORE. When I forced the blob file, by directly typing the file name, it said "BLOB FILE INCOMPATIBLE" (or something to that effect). I felt that this is because I upgraded my iTunes to the latest version - 10.5. I'll try to downgrade my iTunes again tonite - but please let me know if this is because of the new iTunes. Thanks!!

OP
S

srusli313

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My bad. I guess I should have read the guide more carefully. Sorry for the stupid question guys.

Kerean

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I have the same exact issue as the thread starter and was wondering if someone can help.

I have been using my iPad 1 jailbroken using limerain/redsnow and it was on 3.2.2 since Day 1 when I took it out of the box. I never upgraded the firmware to anything else.

Now since last week, I've been getting fedup of not being able to install apps that require at least iOS 4.0 and hence I thought of upgrading the firmware. I also noted from research that 4.3.3 would be the best firmware right now.

After stumbling on this thread which is most directly on point, I wen to Cydia and note that I have shsh blobs for 3.2.2, 4.2.1, 4.2~b3 and 4.3.5 listed.

Does this mean that there is no way for me to upgrade to 4.3.3 since I don't have these blobs on Cydia? I was hoping to use Jailbreakme for 4.3.3 but am now hitting this snag. I have downloaded the 4.3.3 ipsw file but have yet to attempt to update to it pending finding out this issue.

Now, the tutorial seems to be talking about "downgrading" to 4.3.3 which I gather most the target audience of that thread are people with firmwares higher than 4.3.3 trying to downgrade back. For me, I am trying to "upgrade" my 3.2.2 (out of the box) to 4.3.3; is there any difference?

If it looks like I can NEVER get to 4.3.3, would my best bet then be to upgrade to 4.2.1 or 4.3.5?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Kerean

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One other noob question that I have, after upgrading firmware, does it mean that I still keep all past app installation, settings, high scores etc in games? Or are these wiped out when upgrading firmware?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, and welcome.

It sounds as if your situation is almost exactly the same as the OP's here. So, I'd recommend you follow the suggestions outlined in thread #2 above. Can't hurt to see if you have those all-important blobs...

If you don't have them, it's really not a big deal to be on the tethered jailbreak with iOS 5. That's what I'm on right now and it's working well for me. And, when I put my apps, e-mail and contact info back on, as far as I can feel I didn't lose any info. The key is to do a backup BEFORE starting the process.

Good luck and do let us know how you get on - or ask more questions if you need to.

Marilyn

Kerean

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the really quick response; yes I went to check and as I said in my first post, Cydia doesn't show blobs for 4.3.3; I think this is because I never went to 4.3.3 in the first place; and I gather I could only save blobs for a particular version if I went to that version to begin with.

Mine is a stock iPad with v3.2.2 from Day 1 until today.

Would v4.2.1 be an option for me? For some strange reason I have shsh blobs for 4.2.1 even though I never went to 4.2.1 before; I wonder why....

How does one get shsh blobs anyway?

I am guessing that I did save blobs before during the times where apple sitll signs 4.2.1 but skipped until apple went to 4.3.5 and therefore I did'n't get those? Am I correct? Or are blobs only saved for a particular firmware that you are on? If not, then shouldn't I also have blobs for 5.0 and 5.01 now, but I dont?

Pretty confusing to me :(

Kerean

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, I've read the sticky and confirmed what I understood on the "firmware window". This to me means that since I didn't go and get shsh blobs for 4.3.3 (I stayed on 3.2.2 all the time and never thought I needed to upgrade anything); there is now no way for me to get to 4.3.3 since the firmware window for 4.3.3 has closed. I also read that there's no point for shsh blobs for 5.0 and onwards and hence, my iPad is now stuck in 3.2.2.

So it apperas my best bet to using iOS 4.0 apps is either the tethered jailbreak for 5.01 or the 4.2.1. Does anyone know if 4.2.1 is good enough for now? Could I use jailbreakme.com for this?

If you read the stickies in this hacking section, you will find some fantastically useful information there. There is an excellent one on saving your blobs and I think you will find reading that very helpful.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, here's my opinion:

Yes, 5.0.1 is a tethered jailbreak but I've been running it with no problems. Granted, it's only been a week, but still, I like it. Rebooting, should you need to, is really quite simple. But, I've not needed to reboot since the first day when some of my Cydia tweaks needed a reboot on installation.

I say all that to say that I'd recommend you go to 5.0.1 tethered. iOS 5 is light years ahead of iOS 4 right now and everyone is now developing for 5. So, you might run into the same troubles on 4 as you did on 3 (developers moving past that old iOS). Note that this includes jail break tweaks developers too...

So, there's that. Good luck with your decision.

Marilyn

OP
S

srusli313

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I'm the thread starter - and thanks to this forum, I have managed to upgrade and downgrade at the same time, successfully. That is, I've upgraded to 4.3.3 with no major snags. Anyway - just to share my experience - check again to make sure that you don't really have 4.3.3. Check with the .shsh files that are saved. I also never upgrade to anything, but Cydia has automatically saved the 4.3.3 blob for me. Maybe u need to upgrade your Cydia and springboard first - then maybe it'll save it for you.

Based on my experience, 4.3.3 isn't that great - no major difference. As for the highscores, data saves, etc. - some apps are saved, some are not. I don't know how this really works. But make sure you do a backup first. Most likely, if you restore from backup, all the data are intact. I also say - go directly to 5.0 - save you the trouble of upgrading it later. Just wait for a few weeks, then maybe the untethered jailbreak will be released.

Cheers

Most reactions

Latest posts