What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

JB Upgrade Utility

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
iNb said:
To add, I thought this would be the case:

This is from Pkgbackup FAQ, very helpful!! :(

I am googling but am yet to find a way to revert Pkgbackup's restore :(:(

Hmmm. The problem is it relies on the package on Cydia being marked up with it's dependencies correctly. Looks like you have something old and nasty in your list. You might be best restoring clean again and selecting what you restore from backup in a more controlled way... Sorry, that's the best I can suggest.

OP
I

iNb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, so just to clarify please, if I do a clean restore, can I then restore from the backup I took on itunes before Pkgbackup and not lose all my emails, documents etc ??

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
iNb said:
Thanks, so just to clarify please, if I do a clean restore, can I then restore from the backup I took on itunes before Pkgbackup and not lose all my emails, documents etc ??

That should be fine. Why not take the opportinty to start with a nice clean jailbreak on 4.3.1? Install things in a careful controlled manner over the next few days. No need to go all in with the risk you have some horrible app which is not compatible with 4.3.1... Just a thought...

OP
I

iNb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks again, my problem is I have loads of documents, emails etc that I cannot afford to lose. The worst thing is that all was perfect after I upgraded and JBed with Redsn0w ... I wish I had reinstalled each tweak from Cydia one by one rather thank using PkgB, and looking on google, I am not the only one :(

I have to be sure before doing a clean install so if someone can confirm 100% I will not lose received and sent emails and many documents, I'd really appreciate it.

Many thanks in advance.

OP
I

iNb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One more thought, if I remove each installed adons (in it safe mode), one by one, could I hope that may fix it when the culprit is removed??

Also, isn't there a way I could just reinstall 4.3.2 to remove JB all together and re JB with redsnow so I can all extras through Cydia manually?

Last edited:

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks again, my problem is I have loads of documents, emails etc that I cannot afford to lose. The worst thing is that all was perfect after I upgraded and JBed with Redsn0w ... I wish I had reinstalled each tweak from Cydia one by one rather thank using PkgB, and looking on google, I am not the only one :(

I have to be sure before doing a clean install so if someone can confirm 100% I will not lose received and sent emails and many documents, I'd really appreciate it.

Many thanks in advance.

As long as you restore from backup you will get back your applications, settings, documents etc.

BUT before you do that, you say you are getting thrown into Safe Mode, YES?
If so, you can open Cydia in this mode and simply remove apps which could be troublesome. If you list them here I'll probably be able to spot the culprit quite quickly. That should fix everything... If you want to do it over PM go ahead. I'll be online for a few hours yet...

OP
I

iNb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks again f4780y, the problem is some are not listed as installed in Cydia, SBSettings for example :confused:

Also, isn't there a way I could just reinstall 4.3.1 to remove JB all together and re JB with redsnow so I can add the extra apps one by one through Cydia ?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks again f4780y, the problem is some are not listed as installed in Cydia, SBSettings for example :confused:

Also, isn't there a way I could just reinstall 4.3.1 to remove JB all together and re JB with redsnow so I can add the extra apps one by one through Cydia ?

Yes, if you prefer to take that route. As long as you know you have an iTunes backup you can choose to restore it once 4.3.1 is reinstalled. Jailbreak again and take you time going through Cydia. Maybe google or ask here if you are worried about specific apps...
SBSettings for the avoidance of doubt is 100% OK on 4.3.1. Good Luck.

OP
I

iNb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A big thank you to f4780y, your help truly is appreciated. :cool:

It would appear the problem came from mAdvLock, as soon as I removed it, the iPad started to work correctly again :)

Many many thanks !!!!!!

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
iNb said:
A big thank you to f4780y, your help truly is appreciated. :cool:

It would appear the problem came from mAdvLock, as soon as I removed it, the iPad started to work correctly again :)

Many many thanks !!!!!!

Great news. Glad we got to the bottom of it eventually.

OP
I

iNb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks again, so am I! :)

I since discovered that mAdvLock is not compatible with iOS 4 yet :(

Could anyone recommend a similar app to password protect any app or folder on the iPad?

OP
I

iNb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thankyoun.gif

OP
I

iNb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For info, LockdownPro is not compatible with iPad till the next version so it is Locktopus for now.

Unfortunately, it doesn't allow folder protection but @ $2 you can't go wrong :) a lot cheaper than mAdvLock and works fine with 4.x.

If someone know of something to password protect folders, I'd be much obliged :eek:

amaya

iPF Noob
Reaction score
may you help i had same problem with iNb that my sister's iphone is already jailbreak and she downloaded madvlock (( her friend adviced her )) but when she downloaded from cydia there some app came with madvlock the name is (( biteSMS)) " she only downloaded the madvlock " and now whenever she want enter any app (( photo , whatsapp ..ect )) her iphone is back to lock screen (( but not turned off only back to lock screen )) i tryed to delete both of them but it not working i restart (( turned off )) the iphone but still same problem i tryed may time to enter the cydia app but it back to lock screen and in up next to time and date there written """ Exite safe mode "" and there some words appear saying that """" we apologize for the inconveniece but the springboard has just crashed mobilesubstrate/ did not / cause this problem: it has protected you from it your device is now running in safe mode all extension that support this safety system are disabled reboot ( or restart springboard) to return to the normal mode to return to this dialog touch the status bar "" and there 3 taps 1- OK 2- restart 3- help i tapped ok but it no good still same i tapped restart it only restart and still same problem i tapped help and nothing apeared PLEASE HELP

ps : am not good with all this iphone ios so when you replay ... try to put word that normal ppl can understand plz

Most reactions

Latest posts