What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My iPad has 3.2.2 but too late for SHSHs to save? Help!

ASLazz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After I downloaded TinyUmbrella and started the save SHSH process. The only firmwares that can be saved are - 4.2.1 and 4.2B3 but not any of the 3.2+. I'm confused 'cuz I've not upgraded to 4.2.1 yet and the current firmware I have now is 3.2.2 (by the way I just got the iPad today). What should I do to save the 3.2.2 somehow if any? If it's not possible, is the 4.2B3 possible to be jailbroken untethered (sp?)?

I've read several threads and know that the 4.2.1 isn't untethered yet so I'm not ready to upgrade the firmware yet. Please advise.

Thanks for your help!

OP
A

ASLazz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
P.S. On the TinyUmbrella settings menu showing the boxes being checked, one says "Set Hosts to Cydia on Exit (if you need a clean restore from Apple uncheck this box)". What does it mean? If I keep it checked, then I cannot restore the iPad to factory settings which means it's not erasing any traces of jailbreaking codes and lose the warranty? Please advise. Thanks!

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
P.S. On the TinyUmbrella settings menu showing the boxes being checked, one says "Set Hosts to Cydia on Exit (if you need a clean restore from Apple uncheck this box)". What does it mean? If I keep it checked, then I cannot restore the iPad to factory settings which means it's not erasing any traces of jailbreaking codes and lose the warranty? Please advise. Thanks!

As stated, it is too late for 3.2.2 blobs to be saved now. There is no way round this.

As regards the checkbox, if you keep it checked then iTunes will ask Cydia for blobs related to any firmware restore / update you perform. This is useful if you have saved blobs from previous versions of IOS with Cydia and regularly / occasionally want to downgrade or restore an old version.
If you uncheck the box iTunes will always ask Apple for the blobs (and of course the only ones they will sign is the current IOS version).
You can change this at any time by just opening tinyumbrella and changing the option...
In your case there is no advantage to redirecting to Cydia at the moment as you have no previous blobs saved, so unchecked would be fine, especially if you are going to use tinyu to manage your blobs locally from now on.

Hope that helps.

OP
A

ASLazz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, f4780y for clarifying the check box issue! I now undy and will keep it checked in case since I've saved the blobs of 4.2.1 and 4.2b3.

iPadawano

iPF Noob
Reaction score
sigh, i'm in the same situation, just got my ipad recently.

my iPad version says 3.2.2 but I cannot save the blob and at current there is no untethered 4.2.1 JB either.

are there any workarounds where I can still get a saved SHSh for my 3.2.2?

Just to clarify.. I am still able to jailbreak it right? Just that if anything screws up.. i won't be able to restore to 3.2.2 due to missing SHS, and will only be able to restore to latest 4.2.1, is that correct?

Which untethered Jb method do you guys recommend?

Last edited:

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
sigh, i'm in the same situation, just got my ipad recently.

my iPad version says 3.2.2 but I cannot save the blob and at current there is no untethered 4.2.1 JB either.

are there any workarounds where I can still get a saved SHSh for my 3.2.2?

Just to clarify.. I am still able to jailbreak it right? Just that if anything screws up.. i won't be able to restore to 3.2.2 due to missing SHS, and will only be able to restore to latest 4.2.1, is that correct?

Which untethered Jb method do you guys recommend?

There is no workaround for 3.2.2 blobs. If there was then the security would be worthless.

Yes, you can jailbreak 3.2.2 with limera1n or greenpois0n, and your only problem will be if you need to restore the os. Normally you shouldn't need to.

If you decide to go 4.2.1 tethered then look for redsn0w. To put Tethered in context for the iPad I had to reboot tethered to redsn0w 4 times on the day of the jailbreak so that all the core components were installed. Since then I have not had to reboot my iPad once, so for this device, in my case, it has been almost indistinguishable from untethered.

Hope that helps.

RussW

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So what about the SHSH blobs that are currently on the device? I have not updated them so it should still be intact, correct? I don't understand why they would be 4.2.1 and 4.2b3 now if I have not updated to the 4.2.1 iOS yet. Is by Apple"signing" part of the SHSH installation process, and not able to be copied by reading the SHSH that is on the device?

Also; where is there a current list of available Apps on Cydia that I could look at before doing a jailbreak? I'd like to know what I'm jailbreaking for before I do.

bundat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are no SHSH blobs on the device.
It doesn't exist anywhere, if you never created it.
All that is on the device is an ECID (Exclusive Chip ID) which is unique to every iPad.

When you restore a device firmware (e.g. iOS 3.2.2), iTunes, in a way, "asks Apple for permission" to do so.
Like sending the following message:
"Apple, may I please install version X.XX on the iPad with ECID 00000XXXXXXXXXXX?"

Apple, using your ECID, and the specific version of that firmware, generates the SHSH.
You can think of an "SHSH blob" as a message from Apple, saying:
"yes, you may install version X.XX on the iPad with ECID 00000XXXXXXXXXXX".

ONLY THEY can generate this file.
And Apple only generates this file for the latest iOS versions (they just stopped for 3.2.2 very recently).

Without this SHSH blob (i.e. permission from Apple itself), you cannot install version X.XX firmware on the iPad.

What TinyUmbrella does, is fake the part where iTunes requests for permission from Apple to install a certain firmware version. Then, it creates a backup of the "permission file" (i.e. the SHSH blob) generated by Apple as a response.

So it is HIGHLY suggested that you save a copy of all SHSH blobs that you can generate for all versions currently supported by Apple, even if you don't plan to jailbreak. So that when they stop supporting it, you can still downgrade to it.

RussW

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So at this point, if for any reason (say it crashes for some unknown reason) I need to restore my iPad using restore to factory original settings, it won't restore it with 3.2.2? Are you saying use of the restore button will force users to upgrade to 4.2.1?

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So at this point, if for any reason (say it crashes for some unknown reason) I need to restore my iPad using restore to factory original settings, it won't restore it with 3.2.2? Are you saying use of the restore button will force users to upgrade to 4.2.1?
It will fail too. You will have to go to 4.2.1.

Michael

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So what about the SHSH blobs that are currently on the device? I have not updated them so it should still be intact, correct? I don't understand why they would be 4.2.1 and 4.2b3 now if I have not updated to the 4.2.1 iOS yet. Is by Apple"signing" part of the SHSH installation process, and not able to be copied by reading the SHSH that is on the device?
The SHSH blobs that you see saved for firmware you didn't install, or had installed previously, were saved because the firmware was on your computer and TinyUmbrella was able to still ask--and received--permission to install them from Apple. There is a setting in TinyUmbrella to "Save ALL Available SHSH" that causes TU to just go ahead and do do. I recommend leaving that setting alone.

Michael

RussW

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow, I think Google needs to re-make the '1984' Mac commercial with the logo on the woman's t-shirt as the Android bot and the person on the mega-screen as Steve Jobs! Jeez all of this non-user friendlyness just to be able to block the hackers from getting a handful of tweaks onto the iPad?? Are we living in a neo-Nazi Apple society here?? The very fact that Jobs is directing these tactics like a dictator makes me want to jailbreak an iPad 'just because' it can be done!!

Don't get me wrong; the iPad is a great device for what it is 'allowed' to do, but it lacks the 'freedom' that we all crave here in the USA; and it bothers me that someone like Jobs who benefited immensely from the FREEDOM of invention, ownership, and capitalism is now severely limiting developer and end-user freedom.

Most reactions

Latest posts