What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad to TV

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
1) You can get the Apple Digital AV adapter and an HDMI cable or
2) Get an Apple TV.

Since you gave no mention of which iPad you have, one cannot know which adapter you need. iPad 4, iPad mini, and iPad Air, and iPad mini with Retina Display all need the lightning version of the AV adapter.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
In most cases, a 30pin/lightning to HDMI will work for mirroring. Haven't tried it on iOS 7 yet, but the results should be similar or the same. Alternatively, if you're looking to stream from your computer or any iOS device to your TV, you can also invest in an AppleTV so you can AirPlay or access your media on your iOS device, windows PC or Mac

Edit: beaten to the punch by AQ_OC :p

Sent from my iPhone via Tapa

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Also, checkout this THREAD for some pics of the cable setup (in my case HDMI adapter to an iPad 2) - you might want to provide more information on your iPad model, iOS installed, and type of TV (a HDTV w/ HDMI inputs is strongly recommended). Dave :)

Notorious Ama

iPF Noob
Reaction score
1) You can get the Apple Digital AV adapter and an HDMI cable or
2) Get an Apple TV.

Since you gave no mention of which iPad you have, one cannot know which adapter you need. iPad 4, iPad mini, and iPad Air, and iPad mini with Retina Display all need the lightning version of the AV adapter.

Very well said, but some apps won't allow you 2 mirror full screen. I know HBO Go let's you but A&E does not. I think Exfinity will let you though as well.

Fred Garvin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'll be shopping for a new TV soon.

What feature/capability should I look for regarding sending stuff from my Air to the TV? Like pictures, movies, etc....is it Airplay?

iPad Air 32Gb Wi-Fi; 17" MacBook Pro; 24" iMac; iPhone 4; iPod Nano 6th Gen; iPod Shuffle; Apple TV 2

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'll be shopping for a new TV soon.

What feature/capability should I look for regarding sending stuff from my Air to the TV? Like pictures, movies, etc....is it Airplay?

If there are any TVs that are Airplay enabled, then that is a plus. But I would consider getting an AV receiver and run all of your sources into it and run an HDMI cable from the AV receiver to your TV. You might be able to find a receiver that is Airplay enabled.

Otherwise, all you really need is an HDMI cable and the correct adapter (as mentioned here). A better options is an Apple TV (you need an HDMI cable to run to your TV or AV receiver). Put the AppleTV on your home network and your iPad too, then you can wirelessly stream content from your iPad to your TV. Or, you can simply let the Apple TV download shows from the internet. Better to have it on a wired Ethernet connection for streaming, IMO.

Fred Garvin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an ATV2, although I haven't tried using my Air with it. It's a first gen ATV2, so I'm not sure it'll do Airplay. My AV setup is through a receiver. Everything goes to the AV Receiver and it manages output.

What I was getting at....I'm wondering about the ability to push content from the Air to the TV directly and wirelessly. Although, an Airplay capable receiver is a thought. I've been thinking about a new one anyway with more HDMI ports.

iPad Air 32Gb Wi-Fi; 17" MacBook Pro; 24" iMac; iPhone 4; iPod Nano 6th Gen; iPod Shuffle; Apple TV 2

Junior

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
macaddictionblog.wordpress.com
I have an ATV2, although I haven't tried using my Air with it. It's a first gen ATV2, so I'm not sure it'll do Airplay. My AV setup is through a receiver. Everything goes to the AV Receiver and it manages output.

What I was getting at....I'm wondering about the ability to push content from the Air to the TV directly and wirelessly. Although, an Airplay capable receiver is a thought. I've been thinking about a new one anyway with more HDMI ports.

For clarity sake, there is no such thing as a first gen ATV2 .. ATV2 refers to the second generation of AppleTV (aka 720p) then there's a 3rd gen Apple TV aka ATV3 aka 1080p.

You'll need an airplay-enabled anything (receiver, tv, setop box) in order to get your iPad air to display on your TV wirelessly. Hope this helps.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Your Apple TV supports AirPlay just fine. Why don't you try it? BTW, I'd rather have an Apple TV than a receiver that supports Air Play. You can do much more with the Apple TV than with a receiver that supports Air Play, IMO, at least.

Most reactions

Latest posts