What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Watch TV abroad using iPad or iPhone?

chris61hickman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is it really possible to watch my favorite TV programs on my gadgets?
I don't want to miss out on my favorite TV shows.
I have a friend living in US. and his very busy working and has no time to watch his favorite TV show. but now with the help of the ITV player or any TV on internet that can watch TV abroad, he manage to watch TV show using his iPad or iPhone.
Any information on what are the things to do to watch TV abroad?

Vocali05

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Slingbox or netflix seems to be the main ways

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

iFrog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You can also use the abc player and watch the episodes in there.

stick2e - Sent from my iPad2 using iPF

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Netflix wouldn't let me stream movies when I was Honduras.

These restrictions are placed there by Netflix as a result of copyright and licensing issues. In the same way that movies are released in different countries on different dates, the rights holders for these movies licence them for showing by Netflix to different countries. Netflix are therefore constrained to enforce this restriction.

They do this by monitoring the Internet address that you log in from. This IP address acts like a sort of area code, enabling Netflix to tell which country your computer is connected from. This allows them to see if you are in the US when you're trying to stream. Although this approach is not infallible, it is a fairly reliable way of allowing Netflix to restrict users to the US only.

Tim
Scotland

SporkLover

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can do Netflix via a US based Proxy, or you can do sling player.

Sun King

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I watch uk tv here in Cyprus , I have to use a VPN for bbc and itv players ....very easy to set up on an iPad.

Filmon works without the VPN and is very good on the iPad.

Jenningsville

iPF Novice
Reaction score
At home in my attic in the UK I have a Slingbox Solo HD hooked up to a dedicated Humax PVR9150 freeview hard disk recorder, and installed the Slingplayer Mobile app on my iPad 3. This works brilliantly anywhere in the world... I get all the UK freeview channels and when I'm in non-UK timezones I setup the Humax to series record all my favorite progs so I can watch them in the evening local time. The Humax has three freeview tuners so I can record three different channels simultaneously. It works great over 3G as well as wifi... although I recommend getting a local sim and dataplan if you're intending to use it over 3G outside the UK. It's a perfect combo for time/placeshifting UK TV. I also have the Slingplayer apps on my Windows 7.5 mobile phone and on my laptop so I can also use those to watch. Oh, and final thing is I also take an Apple TV3 with me so I can Airplay the Slingplayer iPad app on to any HDMI connected TV where I happen to be staying.

robbyc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
aren't any of you using a vpn to get a UK/ US IP address? it works really well with ipad & iphone ( with android not so much, it's still just too messy of a platform ). happyvpn is a decent service, with pptp and l2tp connections. give it a try - or do your research on vpn review sites, if you want to try something else.

p3iii

iPF Noob
Reaction score
robbyc said:
aren't any of you using a vpn to get a UK/ US IP address? it works really well with ipad & iphone ( with android not so much, it's still just too messy of a platform ). happyvpn is a decent service, with pptp and l2tp connections. give it a try - or do your research on vpn review sites, if you want to try something else.

I have been able to use a VPN connection to watch US TV shows online from Japan until this past year. Something has definitely changed. The web sites now tell me I cannot view content except from US.

darkangelwitch

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Anyone know if I can get the NHL on my iPad?

My poor husband is having hockey withdrawal as we cannot get NHL on the tv anymore and it would be a lovely surprise for him if I could find a way to get it on the iPad. This is the first year we have been unable to watch the Stanley Cup :( because some mickey mouse tv company was supposed to be showing NHL but most nights their signal is crap and we stopped subscribing.

If anyone knows I the answer you would make my hubby a very happy man :)

Most reactions

Latest posts