What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad sensor data telemetry

Giovanni LiCalsi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,
I'm a newbie on this forum and searching for information on how I can use my iPhone as a dashboard on my electric
motor bicycle. I would like to have wireless telemetry for temperature, voltage and speed.
Thank you,
Giovanni

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I saw a gadget for some cars advertised once (plugged into the car's computer), but nothing for a motorbike.

Your best bet would be to look on forums for the motorbike, or the manufacturer's site, to see if they've got anything. It is highly unlikely you'll find anything generic, given there is (as far as I know) no standard computer interface for motorbikes, even electric ones.

At any rate, let us know what manufacturer and model the bike is, just in case someone here does have the same bike and has a solution for you.

Good luck.

OP
G

Giovanni LiCalsi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply.
I am custom building an electric bicycle.
There are some EV bicycles and motorcycles that have iPhone telemetry but haven't found anything for the DIY builders.
The Flykly EV bicycle has the best example.
The only thing that I have found is the Spektrum STI telemetry system. I can put together this for around $200.00.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you tied your sensors together with a Raspberry Pi (small cheap computer on a board), you could use it's bluetooth to communicate with the phone; but you'd have to write your own app; which will need a paid developer account and a Mac. All of which means quite a bit more time and money invested.

None of which I have the expertise to actually do myself. Though I could probably learn it if I wanted it bad enough.

OP
G

Giovanni LiCalsi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This may seem laughable but what if I use one iPhone in the bicycle frame with sensors and one at the handlebars. Would it be easier to
accomplish a data screen?
I am also contacting Curtis EV motor controls to ask if their electronic speed controller will
communicate to with an iPhone.
Thanks

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
This may seem laughable but what if I use one iPhone in the bicycle frame with sensors and one at the handlebars. Would it be easier to
accomplish a data screen?. . .

Seems like it would be easier to extend the sensor leeds than try to use two iPhones. Unless you intend to hack the iPhone's hardware. In that case the Raspberry Pi I mentioned would be far easier, as it's designed with that kind of thing in mind. Cheaper too.

Besides, you would still need to write an app to communicate between them. There is no way to just echo stuff from one iPhone's screen to another.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I did a little Googling on your project, for the heck of it, and found this:

Scooterputer

It does not involve an iPhone, but seems pretty close to what you're going for, so maybe there are some ideas you can use.

OP
G

Giovanni LiCalsi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Amazing build!
Too much of a project for me.
I guess I will have to wait for someone to develop the EV dashboard using an iPhone.
Thank you so much!

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Giovanni and welcome to the Forum!

This has been quite the interesting read!

The IPad Forum is a community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the Ipad. There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions you have. If then you cannot find the answer you are seeking then by all means post your question. There are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - It is a very simple app to navigate.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8
Tutorial for our App
http://www.ipadforums.net/new-membe...sistance/107524-ipad-forums-app-tutorial.html
Tutorial on creating posts on the Forum
http://www.ipadforums.net/new-membe...-creating-posts-starting-new-threads-how.html
Reading the IPad manual is a great place to start so please download a copy of these.
http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
3 very informative threads from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-os/49581-ios5-tips-tricks.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-help...shortcuts-helpful-places-people-new-ipad.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Amazing build!
Too much of a project for me.
I guess I will have to wait for someone to develop the EV dashboard using an iPhone.
Thank you so much!

No problem. Keep an eye out. You never know what might pop up.

In the mean time you can get some of what you want, speed and GPS stuff, with a normal navigation or bicycle app. There are tons of these.

OP
G

Giovanni LiCalsi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you.
I have Runtastic Bike on my iPhone. Really nice app.
I'm wondering how the iPhone app for the FlyKly was created.
That is the Bees Knees!
FlyKly Smart Wheel by FlyKly ? Kickstarter

The FlyKly EV motor hub, with built in telemetry system, is $590.00.
Maybe I could buy it, remove the telemetry system and sell the remainder of the hub.
I'm downloading the app, now.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I've been keeping an eye on that project. It looks really cool, but the wheel is the wrong size for my recumbent bikes so I haven't contributed.

The app itself should be fairly simple to create (as apps go). The hard part is squeezing the sensors, on board computer, and the bluetooth radio into the wheel and making them rugged enough to last.

OP
G

Giovanni LiCalsi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What model recumbent do you have? I wish that I would have bought a Catrike or Lightning.
I am only using the telemetry system and 48volt battery pack, not the hub. The www.superpedestrian.com hub motor has a 48volt battery pack. I have a Trek recumbent but building a newly designed custom bicycle with a monocoque body to safely house the motor, drivetrain, batteries and electronics. I will be using a fully programmable Curtis Instruments controller with brake regeneration. Here is a photo of the Astroflight 9,000 watt 48volt brushless motor with Hall's Effect sensor that will be installed mid-frame.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
That's looking pretty awesome.

I have an early TerraTrike, from back when they called themselves WizWheelz. I also have an even older Rotator Tiger, but it's not in riding condition at the moment. I'm hoping to get it cleaned up and road ready next summer. The trike could use some love as well. Parts are showing a lot of ware.

OP
G

Giovanni LiCalsi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can you post some photos?
I'm restoring a couple of antique bicycles, an 1899 Iver Johnson and a 1908 Iver Johnson.
1908 Iver Johnson

1899 Iver Johnson

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts