What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is there a wireless thermometer and iPad App for the info out there?

BKester

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i(Device) Temperature probe.....
Here's thought for an industrious developer.... Someone needs to come up with a wireless temperature sensor whose data can be captured by an iDevice app. The applications (pardon the pun) can be endless. How hot is it in my car sitting in the sun out there that I have to get into/ Does the airconditioner need to be running upstairs/ What is the actual temp in the shade under the patio cover/ What is the temp in the refrigerator now (at home). If multiples of sensors could be read at the same time, all the better.

The probe has to be self powered with wireless transmission. I got the idea from a new Nike shoe probe of all places. This thing transmits to an app capturing steps per min., height jumped (of all things), and other data supposedly needed by athletes. It has a USB dongle for recharging and lasts for days.

If something you pop into your shoe can track obscure stuff like this why can't we have a probe that will tell you if its cold enough in the attic to freeze your pipes (this never tracks with the actual weather outside...trust me).

If someone knows of such a device and app, please let me know.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Though it could be developed quite easily, the range would be short and the cost would be relatively high since the market is significantly smaller than a runners aid.

Would you be willing to pay $50 for such a temperature sensor with a 3 meter range?

5er driver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bluetooth works up to 30 feet or about 10 meters, doesn't it? So the probe shouldn't be limited to 9 feet or 3 meters. And wifi has more range than 9 feet or 3 meters. I'm about 75 feet or 23 meters from my router now and using wifi.

Sent from my iPhone 4S or iPad 3rd gen, whichever I happened to have in my hands at the time, using iPF.net

Last edited:

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Bluetooth works up to 30 feet or about 10 meters, doesn't it? So the probe shouldn't be limited to 9 feet or 3 meters. And wifi has more range than 9 feet or 3 meters. I'm about 75 feet or 23 meters from my router now and using wifi.

Sent from my iPhone 4S or iPad 3rd gen, whichever I happened to have in my hands at the time, using iPF.net

Yes, in theory Class 2 Bluetooth works for 10 meters. In practice not so much. A wifi device could be built as well, however peer to peer wifi on iOS requires either Gamekit, so two iOS devices, or Bonjour support, which would dramatically drive up the cost of a sensor.

Bluetooth Class 1 has a 100 meter range in theory. I have one device pair running at 50 meters, but that's unusual. Typically 20-30 meters is all we get.

The iPhone is a Class 2 device, however I would challenge you to walk away and stay connected to the full 10 meter range in anything other than a direct line of sight application. My car kit drops the connection at the end of the car.

Karlb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't know if you are still looking but the iCelsius Wireless could do what you want. It is based on Wifi and a remote mode is existing. Wifi range is larger than traditional bluetooth range

Most reactions