What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad OS

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I’ve seen a YouTube demo of an old Iomega Zip drive and a 3.5” floppy working with an iPhone on iOS 13. Not perfectly, mind you, but working. The video creator is trying various external devices. I’m waiting to see if a CD/DVD drive will work. I have a pile of old CD/DVD discs lying around that I’d like to check out.

Aerofly

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I too have an old external CD/DVD drive and it would be great to use it with my iPad Pro 11 and iPadOS13. I have a USBc hub for the iPad which also has a USBc power input socket, which I imagine would be required for the CD/DVD drive.
I think one problem could be the lack of a suitable driver in iOS.
Fingers crossed.[emoji1696]

OP
D

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I installed both public betas on my well used with battery issues gen 1 12.9 Pro. It is what I hoped even with the bugs. There are several things I hadn't even thought of wanting LOL but love using.

I wouldn't recommend installing until later unless you have an older or alternative device. I have a friend who has installed on iPad pro, Mini, phone and Mac-but he's foolhardy-and has an unexpected PB2 issue with his gen 2 iPad Pro (though not with Mini or phone ‍‍♀️) that he didn't have with PB 1.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I too have an old external CD/DVD drive and it would be great to use it with my iPad Pro 11 and iPadOS13. I have a USBc hub for the iPad which also has a USBc power input socket, which I imagine would be required for the CD/DVD drive.
I think one problem could be the lack of a suitable driver in iOS.
Fingers crossed.[emoji1696]

Unfortunately the YouTuber said he could not get any CD devices to work. He did get it to work with a Sony PSP and a Casio PRIZM.

Aerofly

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I notice in the video that he’s testing units with the iPhone only on iOS13. I wonder if iPadOS13 will be any different?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I notice in the video that he’s testing units with the iPhone only on iOS13. I wonder if iPadOS13 will be any different?

I expect the iPads with the USB-C connector will be at least as compatible, if not more so. I’d bet more so.

dss862

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Please help me out how to add apps for sharing not in the list of app for sharing with a particular file

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Last I heard full support for USB drives is not finalized. Also, while USB support is being heavily expanded, that does not mean that every device or use will be supported.

Apple has also done the unprecedented and sent an iOS 13.1 beta to developers. The first update like this usually takes a month or two after the initial release to show up. The best guess of the community is that some features are not ready for final release, and will be withheld until the probable new iPad announcements in October/November.

What were you trying to do with the USB-C OTG cable?

Not that I can help much. I’m being a good boy and waiting for the public release. Only a week or two to go (probably).

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I expect that support for most of the USB will be available on iOS 13 compatible iPads; however Apple is unlikely to provide hardware. You’ll be dependent on third party manufacturers for that. In most cases, a Lightning to USB hub should work. I doubt that anyone is going to make a multi-port Lightning hub.

Mouse support is an accessibility feature. What this means is the mouse becomes a way to control a virtual finger in the touch environment. It will not work the same as the mouse you are used to. That’s not to say some people won’t find it useful, just that you should not expect to be able to select and move text, files, etc. differently just because there is a mouse. You’ll have the same gestures.

PrismStudios

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.prism-studios.org
Thanks for the feedback.Mostly just curious. I really sort of don’t want a mouse, or keyboard right now as I type faster on the virtual keyboard than an actual one, and the touch interface appeals to me. I do sort of want a lightning to USB adapter though. I don’t mind third Party hardware. I got a neat cable to charge my Apple Pencil from a USB without needing the easily lost adapter. I sometimes just use my power bank for that when on the road.

TabletGuy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The mouse feature on the new OS isn't very good as it is not a pointer and has no right-click functions. The keyboard, however, works great!
My favorite functions have to be two instances of the same on split-screen and the ability to just grab and throw pictures and files between them. In the future, I hope they will have a tri-screen option of more PnP support.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts