iPad OS

Discussion in 'iPad Pro Forum' started by Diane B, Jun 5, 2019.

1. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    You should also be able to slide in the Widgets in from the left, and leave them as a part of your Home Screen. The app icons scrunch over.

I a bit jealous, but since my iPad is my main computer; I’ll wait for the public release before upgrading.

2. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes, I’ve already tried that and seen how it works. The app update button has been removed from its former place. Now you tap your iCloud ID icon at the top of the page and the updates are handled from the screen that appears. Here’s the screenshot.
    2CD80B1E-1442-4DF7-BC64-9EC7E7AF247D.jpg

3. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Here are the widgets on the left of the home screen in iPad OS 13.
    2D1E0758-714D-4BDE-A811-B26EF248584F.jpg

4. Richard Brown

Richard Brown
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Expert

Thanks Received:

I am much like you Diane. I migrated from windows to iOS. I purchased an iMac 2 years ago. Absolutely love it. Found a reasonable deal for a smart phone (When the phone has been paid for the monthly payments reduced to monthly "airtime" rental only. That is a good deal, not a rip off) and bought an iPhone 8 I still have my 1pad 3 (Ive kept the iPad 1 as a reminder of my first Apple purchase :) )

IO love the integration of everything. I am now looking at a new iPad with keyboard to sue as a tablet and laptop.

5. PrismStudios

PrismStudios
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    I`ve come so close to signing up for public beta. but haven`t because I know any unknown bugs will be mine also.... Just really loving how the new OS looks! L

6. Mickeylittle777

Mickeylittle777
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Looks awesome. Varying reports on the outside chance of using a mouse. Not trying to start a rumor but is that even on the table here?

7. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    You can use a mouse; however it is an accessibility feature. It does not work exactly like a traditional mouse cursor. There are several demo videos on YouTube.

Safari is being improved to offer more of a desktop browser experience, including a download folder/feature. I understand that websites like Google Docs work well with it. Text selection/editing is being improved.

From what I’ve seen, while you’ll be able to use a mouse, a lot of the reasons some people would like a mouse are being addressed; and some of them won’t be solved even with the mouse support being added.

8. Mickeylittle777

Mickeylittle777
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the update on the mouse. You know if the iPad is ever going to truly replace the laptop, and it is getting closer, it is going to need to have some sort of a dock capability. With the USB C port they have the ability. But laptop replacement on a 12.9 screen is just asking too much. Give me a dock for my desk for just 1 monitor, Bluetooth keyboard and mouse, portable hard drive, and a couple USB 3 ports. Then you would have a laptop replacement.

How close do you think Apple is to this or is this totally out of the picture?

9. Aerofly

Aerofly
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I have a usbc hub for my iPad Pro 11” in preparation for iPadOS 13. It has an hdmi port to use an external monitor, three USB3 ports for things such as external drives, mouse etc., a usbc input for external power, SD and microSD card readers and I also have a Brydge keyboard.
    I reckon I’ve pretty much covered all that’s required to fulfill the brief.

Search Amazon for ‘Elando USB C Hub’

10. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    I don’t think Apple is trying to create a laptop replacement. Sure, a lot of people (including myself) have replaced their laptop (and even desktop) with an iPad, but that’s not because it’s a true laptop replacement. It’s because we didn’t really need everything a laptop does, and/or did need/want the things an iPad does better than a laptop.

I’m not trying to rain on peoples desire for more stuff on the iPad, just pointing out that if you keep adding more stuff to iPads, at some point it wont’ be a laptop replacement. It will just be another laptop; with all the strengths of a laptop, but also with all the weaknesses.

As much as I love my iPad, if I really needed a laptop’s features, I’d get a laptop. (I’d probably keep the iPad too).

That aside, there are quite a few USB-C expansion devices available, many which have HDMI out. A few have a dock/like form factor. I saw an add for one the other day that clips to the upper right corner of the iPad. It even had an extra USB-C port so you can keep charging while using the other ports.

I keep a multi-port adaptor in my backpack. But in the end it’s mostly a placebo. I think I’ve used it once, and didn’t really need to then.

On a positive note, iPadOS is going to let us access external storage via the USB-C port. I only need this a few times a year, but it’s always a pain when I do.