What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alternate ipad OS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just asking, is there ANY kind of other OS I could put onto my ipad? chromium? windows? android?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No.

There's been a couple of reports of people putting Android and Linux on the iPad, but these were experimental and from all descriptions not very functional.

Not to be rude, or dismissive, but you are better off buying an Android tablet if that is the OS you want. It will work much better. Same for the other operating systems.

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
No.

There's been a couple of reports of people putting Android and Linux on the iPad, but these were experimental and from all descriptions not very functional.

Not to be rude, or dismissive, but you are better off buying an Android tablet if that is the OS you want. It will work much better. Same for the other operating systems.

I agree with twerppoet.

Some people have managed to make android work with the iPhone but it's for the non faint-hearted and can turn it into a non-functioning beautiful brick.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I totally agree this is not like a Mac where you can run windows and other os it is much different As another member said why bother you may in fact destroy or brick it. Just go buy an android device or a MacBook air

Exspyguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got froyo up on an old iPhone 3G. [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qVrhqt39xw&sns=em[/ame]

The devs for this port once said that ports for i4 and iPad were being considered. But with galaxy tab rev1 being such a dog, I doubt it will go anywhere.

Www.iphodroid.com

nezing

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple OS locked into device by default.That is the reason I bought my iPad,to use Apple software.To "mess",would indeed create a host of probs,and very likely trash it.If you want Android,plenty of "Tablets" for sale.Just enjoy your iPad. :D

Neil.

Gunny008

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sonicrobby said:
Just asking, is there ANY kind of other OS I could put onto my ipad? chromium? windows? android?

I guess you could you splash top from the app store so that your laptops screen can be shown on your iPad and then you use your laptops OS. Once you disconnect from splash top, the mirroring stops. I tried the free version and it's ok - nothing too great.

spaced

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sonicrobby said:

Why would you want to do that??? buy an android or windows device thus saving you all the hassle and why ANYONE would want the android or windows OS over apple's is beyond my comprehension.

Gunny008

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Nakedbabytoes said:
Gunny008..
I want your avi! Can I cut & paste you?

You can change avatar by going to quick links at the top of the website or something like that. Then click: quick links>edit your details

Then under settings and options, click change avatar and you will find it there.

crapple

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sonicrobby said:

Why would you want to do that??? buy an android or windows device thus saving you all the hassle and why ANYONE would want the android or windows OS over apple's is beyond my comprehension.

simple... things like android/lunix and yes even windows actually work!!

I just spent 35 minutes trying to log into my home wifi because my ipad seems to have 'forgotten' my wifi password for the 4th time in 6 months, and then spent a further 15 minuets trying to log into my university website to download a lecture to watch on the train tomorrow. oh... and that download just 'timed out', having done about 5mb. Took me 5 min to do all of this on my win 7 laptop. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

If i didnt get this POS for free from my uni I'd have returned it months ago. I honestly dont see the appeal in apple. Might just chuck it of the balcony anyway.

edit
15min after this post, my ipad is asking for my home network password. again.

Last edited:

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have had my iPad for 6 months now - my first Apple product in many years - and have never experienced one moment's difficulty with it. It never forgets passwords, moves seamlessly between WiFi and 3G, works great with my University WiFi too, has a stunning battery life and - well - just works great.

I suspect you must have a faulty unit because the behaviour you describe is most certainly not typical of an iPad. If it was supplied by your University, then why not return it to the IT Manager and see if they can issue you with a replacement. I'm sure you'll find that this will work just fine.

Good Luck and I hope you manage to get your problems resolved.

Tim

Reaction score
Sonicrobby said:

I just spent 35 minutes trying to log into my home wifi because my ipad seems to have 'forgotten' my wifi password for the 4th time in 6 months, and then spent a further 15 minuets trying to log into my university website to download a lecture to watch on the train tomorrow. oh... and that download just 'timed out', having done about 5mb. Took me 5 min to do all of this on my win 7 laptop. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

If i didnt get this POS for free from my uni I'd have returned it months ago. I honestly dont see the appeal in apple. Might just chuck it of the balcony anyway.

edit

Have you tried a static IP address on your ipad or change the security on router ? There is a bug in ios, that for some reason doesn't affect all routers, that showed up on mine with 4.3.1 and that's how I fixed mine. Changing to wpa only on the router did it for me.
B.o.t.
To have the build quality of an Apple device with another os would be the only reason I'd consider a dual os. To go with another tablet you more than likely lose the 4x3 ratio of the ipad, more than likely will not have an all metal case AND lightweight and not be able to take advantage of the benefits/capabilities of one system over the other without using more than 1 device.

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sonicrobby said:

edit

If your problem is widespread, it's something your uni techs would be getting many complaints about and would be handling or already have a fix for.

If iPads were crappy, I certainly would've returned my first, rather than having since bought five, two of them as gifts. I don't especially love Apple; I've never owned a Mac and don't plan to. But its iOS devices have been a cinch for me to use, and I'm far from technically adept.

iUserDeveloper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes I would love to know if it is possible to install Windows operating system. seriously the IOS sucks. I want to be able to connect my iPad to my Compuetr and have access to the Hard Drive as I would aUSB drive. I also want a better browser, I want to use Flash and be able to down load files, copy links and better surfing. The IPad is a nice piece of hardware andI love the GPS function but overall Ihate the operating system. I feel Apple should be paying me to use their hardware given the limitations. I doubt I will buy a new Apple device again. I wil be getting an Andriod phone next time. anythingthathas better web browsingand USB support.

iUserDeveloper

iPF Noob
Reaction score

because the aple Safari browser sucks, Thedibice is good for browsing but t is extremely limited. Imwant a device that I can use to down load files off the net. Wrk on them and repost them back to my home computer.I do not want to pay for expensive cloud ccomputing. Basicaly I found the Windows Ce software morse functional. I expect the iPad to be more of a friendly operating system. MBasicly I a disappointed with it. Love the hardware hate the OS. I guess I expected much more. BillmGates is forgiven... Jobs is not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions