What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IPad Notes problem 2

kestrel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wife and I each have an iPad and share same iTunes account.

Problem 1.
Whenever we add a new note, it is emailed to us and the note is saved on both iPads

Problem 2.
If one of us deletes a note, it is deleted on both iPads

I went to Settings, Mail and turned the notes off, all our notes disappeared. Switched it back on and our notes re-appeared.

Not sure how to control Notes

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK - that's the problem, because the Notes are being delivered to just one account, but retrieved by two iPads on the same account. The problem wouldn't exist if you had separate email accounts - perhaps two separate gmail accounts which, after all, are completely free.

Tim

OP
K

kestrel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Tim
Problem is that if i set up a new email account one of us will be unable to view emails that we share.

Must admit, i like Notes, simple and easy to use but didn't realise Email had so much control over it.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You don't have to sync your Notes via email at all; I don't, I just keep Notes as an entirely local set of notes and don't send them anywhere.

If you had a separate email account, then you could always automatically forward those emails you want to share to the second account. Most email servers have an automatic forwarding capability.

Tim

glenmurray1uk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you tried 'evernote' really simple to use, add pic, Vids etc and you can share the note! Also sync with iPhone so you always have your notes with you on either devise!

OP
K

kestrel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim,
How do you set up your Notes as stand alone? If it's settings, mail, turn notes off, that gives me a problem because it deletes all my existing entries in Notes

Glen,
Thanks for the tip, had a quick look and the reviews were a bit damning.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hmm...have to think about that! I never had mine turned on, so the problem didn't occur.....

Tim

Bingoldsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have to admit that I'm having a hard time following the jist of this conversation. I've looked everywhere, in Notes, in Settings for Notes, and in Mail settings, and I can find NOTHING which pertains to sharing or emailing notes, other than the manual note emailing done within Notes.

(And I'm refering to the only Notes on my iPad/iPhone)

Can you please explain these functions I don't see? Thanks for helping me follow.

Brian - Sent from my iPad using iPF

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Tim,
How do you set up your Notes as stand alone?

Turn off the notes in your account settings. Go to the Notes app and create a new note. Then turn Note syncing back on in your account settings.

When you go back to Notes you will see a new button at the top left named Accounts. By tapping this you can switch between your mail-synced account and a new local account with just your new note in it.

There is no easy way to move your old notes to the new one. You'll just have to copy and paste between the two accounts. When you have all the notes you want in the new account you can either turn the old one back off, or leave it on for those notes you do want to share.

Alternately you could both get Evernote. It is a much more versatile note taking app, and the basic account is free.. When you get an Evernote account it assigns you a special email address to mail new notes to yourself. Once you have the new account and app set up, just use the mail feature in Notes to mail all your notes to that address.

When you have all you notes in Evernote, just like before, you can either turn off the note syncing in your account, or leave it on for any notes you might want to share between yourselves.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I have to admit that I'm having a hard time following the jist of this conversation. I've looked everywhere, in Notes, in Settings for Notes, and in Mail settings, and I can find NOTHING which pertains to sharing or emailing notes, other than the manual note emailing done within Notes.

(And I'm refering to the only Notes on my iPad/iPhone)

Can you please explain these functions I don't see? Thanks for helping me follow.

Some account types (MobileMe, Yahoo, and the default GMail setup) will allow you to sync notes back to your email account. They show up in email as a special folder for notes. You will only see this option in the account's settings if it is supported.

OP
K

kestrel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This as much as I know

Settings
Mail, Contacts, Calendar

Then at the top of the right-hand screen you have

Accounts

At the top of my Accounts is my email address

Press your email address, and then in my case (i am with Gmail), a screen comes up with three items (Mail, Calendars and Notes). These items can be switched on or off.

If I switch Notes to off, I lose all my stored notes. If I switch it on again, the lost notes re-appear

Hope that makes sense.

Bingoldsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That makes sense now. I do use Gmail, but only through the main native mail app. (I'm single, and don't dabble in such sharing/syncing matters, I guess). Thanks.

OP
K

kestrel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Twerppoet

Just tried your solution and it works like a dream, ithink, when my wife has finished her game, will give it the full test.

How on earth did you know how to come up with that solution, I couldn't see anything like that in the manual.

Well done and thanks again

Most reactions

Latest posts