What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

notes have disappeared

ejp99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All notes have disappeared! We have been using notes since December with no problem. iPad is synced with iTunes and iCloud (notes not synced) so Outlook 2010 on a laptop will sync email, calendar and contacts. This all works fine. Have not synced notes with iCloud because I did not want to mess with another email account I do not need/want. Don't know why I have to open an email acct just sync notes and I have nothing to sync it with anyway. Now 4 months of notes are gone.

Any way to recover them? Is this standard where you can't trust notes? Makes notes unusable since there is no "save as" like you have with Windows apps.

Thanks for any guidance

FLWolverine

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All notes have disappeared! We have been using notes since December with no problem. iPad is synced with iTunes and iCloud (notes not synced) so Outlook 2010 on a laptop will sync email, calendar and contacts. This all works fine. Have not synced notes with iCloud because I did not want to mess with another email account I do not need/want. Don't know why I have to open an email acct just sync notes and I have nothing to sync it with anyway. Now 4 months of notes are gone.

Any way to recover them? Is this standard where you can't trust notes? Makes notes unusable since there is no "save as" like you have with Windows apps.

Thanks for any guidance

You don't know why you have to open an email acct just to sync notes? It's because that's how notes sync........ "Syncing" is the process of making something identical and notes sync with whatever email account you choose to use. If you have 4 months of notes on your iPad and you sync it with another device, then the other devices will contain 4 months of notes. If you choose NOT to sync notes with an email account so that they "sync" with another device or location, it is not a case of "not trusting notes". You have made the choice to only maintain one copy of the notes and if something happens to that copy, you have no more notes. NOW, that being said, since you have only one copy of your notes, you should be able to recover them by restoring from a backup. Backups are different than "syncs". You might have either an iTunes backup or an iCloud backup. You can restore from either one and if your notes are in there then they will reappear. If you have never created a backup then you are out of luck.

I would start by tapping on settings and then tapping on notes. Where it says default account, whatever is listed there is the email account that is your notes are associated with. For example, of it says "gmail" then your notes have been synced with gmail and might be present in your gmail account at www.gmail.com.

Next I would check your iTunes for any backups and also iCloud for backups. Choose a backup created on a date before your notes were lost and then restore from that backup.

Good luck in your search.

Gary

Most reactions

Latest posts