What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad mini or Nexus 7

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The iOS on the iPad mini is likely to be updatable for a longer time than the OS on the Nexus 7. One more reason to recommend the mini.

iandrew74

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I thought long and hard about whether to get a mini or nexus 7, had a play with the nexus and liked it but as I already have an IPhone 4S I already had the apple ecosystem. I personally cannot fault the mini. I am tempted to get a nexus 7 as don't have an android device and its still a good deal for the price but it won't stop the love I have for the mini!

lisa22

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Chantelle, Ive had the Fire HD 7 in and took it back. While its an excellent consumption device, it was just too dumbed down for me and too tiny a screen as well. The browser is fine for light browsing but it is a little slow. My mom has the fire 8. 9 and loves it. With no computer experience whatsoever, she was able to pick it up in a couple of hours. The amazon prime ($79)a year gives tons of free media and free shipping from Amazon. Well worth it. There's plenty of apps for mom, more than she'll ever use and, like I said, it's designed well for an older person with no prior experience with a computer or tablet. But the 7in makes the ipad mini seem huge. You got to go with the bigger one for mom if her eyesight isn't so great and now you're talking the same price range as the mini. While the mini is just a great all around tablet, the Fire 8.9 is pretty awesome for watching videos and having your kindle content at your fingertips. The picture and sound is superior.

Last edited:

Toyeboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had a nexus 7, it is Androids best device to date period. It's a brilliant device. I love to play games though, and I found many high end games to lag though. I sold it and bought an iPad 4 retina display games are much smoother the experience is much smoother. The iPad mini is very attractive though even now that I have iPad 4 still wanting it due to it's light weight. I say spend the extra and get the iPad mini over the nexus 7.

Sent from my Triumph using Tapatalk 2

sassygram

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the regular Kindle fire (not the HD)- I am also one of those 'old' people you are talking about. Well I also have an iPod and the iPad so I feel I am qualified to compare them for you. I love them all and find all three easy to use. I have several apps on the Kindle but use it mainly for books. However if you are looking for the most easy one to use it is definitely the Kindle. It does everything automatically for you such as updating apps and putting everything in the cloud also. One good advantage is that you don't have to rely on iTunes - just go to your Amazon site/account and sync and delete there. It is definitely great for the older generation. Main disadvantage is that it doesn't have a front and back camera for taking pictures so I use my iPod all the time to take pictures. Hope this helped somebody trying to decide which one to get.

lisa22

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A kindle e-reader, only, is better in sunlight. I had the kindle fire. Frankly it sucks as much as any tablet in sunlight. It's just not something any tablet does well I that respect. Get the mini. It's a dream. 99% of the time there is an option to enlarge the text for older people and no other tablet touches it in my opinion.

MrDoug

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am thinking of buying an iPad mini, but on every page on this site, the Nexus 7 is advertised for sale. If an iPad mini was plastered all over an Android forum site, I wonder what the users of that site would think? If the Nexus 7 is posted for sale here, is it any good? Should I be jumping ship and moving over to Android? I have even hit the buy it now by mistake a few times.
If you can afford it, I would have both.. which I do.. I love both.. each has it's own loving aspects.. both are AWESOME..
Doug

xTyler

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MrDoug said:
If you can afford it, I would have both.. which I do.. I love both.. each has it's own loving aspects.. both are AWESOME..
Doug

Lucky

AntonyWhite

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is more powerful - Nvidia tegra 3 is the second fastest chip on the market, A5 is barely in the top ten
It is half the price...kind of obvious
it has NFC - handy
I prefer the android OS - ive used both in my everyday life and i must say I prefer android, you will also discover how locked up apple is

The only thing apple has over the nexus is the app store, of which android is catching up faster than apple is making ground, plus ive found it is cheaper than the app store

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It is more powerful - Nvidia tegra 3 is the second fastest chip on the market, A5 is barely in the top ten
It is half the price...kind of obvious
it has NFC - handy
I prefer the android OS - ive used both in my everyday life and i must say I prefer android, you will also discover how locked up apple is

The only thing apple has over the nexus is the app store, of which android is catching up faster than apple is making ground, plus ive found it is cheaper than the app store

Actually, in real world usage you can't see that Tegra3 is any faster....the Mini is smoother than the nexus (seems like Google is making things worse in this department as time goes on, because the Nexus was smoother when I first got it)...and the apps are not catching up at all (unless you want to run phone apps). There are way, way more good tablet apps for the Mini than for the Nexus. Heck, I have several apps that won't even run on my nexus that run on my other Android tablets, but ALL my iOS apps run on my mini and they run well. Yeah, apps cost less on Android because they are full of ads. And it is also the reason why the choices is rather small - why should developers develop for it if they can't get paid?

And why do I need to load apps from other places when there are 275000+ apps in the appstore?

OP
marcandsebe

marcandsebe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Actually, in real world usage you can't see that Tegra3 is any faster....the Mini is smoother than the nexus (seems like Google is making things worse in this department as time goes on, because the Nexus was smoother when I first got it)...and the apps are not catching up at all (unless you want to run phone apps). There are way, way more good tablet apps for the Mini than for the Nexus. Heck, I have several apps that won't even run on my nexus that run on my other Android tablets, but ALL my iOS apps run on my mini and they run well. Yeah, apps cost less on Android because they are full of ads. And it is also the reason why the choices is rather small - why should developers develop for it if they can't get paid?

And why do I need to load apps from other places when there are 275000+ apps in the appstore?

Yes with my testing of the 3, I did not find speed was a problem with any of them. I found the Apple smoother though. I hate ads and if that's what Android has, it would not be for me.

OP
marcandsebe

marcandsebe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think you should compared the two types, and check which you like better.
if possible, you can have them all.

I have taken my time and compared all 3. On that basis I ordered the iPad mini. I like the OS, iTunes, the dedicated apps and the quality build. I would not buy all 3 as it would really be wasting good money. I went for the most storage as possible.

quadtronix

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't have a mini yet but I have the N7 and have played with the mini a couple times. All I can tell you is that the N7 is my favorite device I own and I try to use it for everything! I read ebooks, browse the web, read currents, watch movies, use google plus, play games, Facebook, twitter, use the calandar and sinc calandar and email with my Bionic, use Evernote and watch YouTube. I use my original fire sometimes for ebooks and pandora while I read, plus Facebook. Oh yeah I also use tapatalk on the N7 for forums. All I use my iPad 2 for is Evernote and web browsing. I still want the mini though... Lol. :)

Most reactions

Latest posts